Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ok i have another interesting story for today, this bizzar ****ing car will really throw some **** at you.

I just for ****s and giggles go outside and try to start the 944, she starts right up, of course it randomly picks when it wants to run or not, ( It has done this before, many many times, and i knew it would happen )

Anyway, i start it up and turn it off and repeat about 5 times, then i take it around the block a few times, drives and runs perfect. I drive for about 30 minutes, stopping and restarting. Finally a little happy, still skeptical though cause i just know deep down its going to stop running again. I pull into the driveway and turn it off and on about 5 times, i let it idle and once the fan kicks on, the car stalls out, and now it wont start AGAIN.

PIECE OF ****, is this car not bizzar, Josh

Old 02-06-2008, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
My kid had the same exact sort of problems with his 951. It'd run good, then die and refuse to start. Over and over. and over.

It turned out to be a bad connection on the speed/ref sensors - where the cables from the sensors plugs into the harness to the DME. The wires had been handled too many times and the connection was intermittant.

He solved it by cutting out that section of wire (on the DME harness) and splicing in new sections - and then soldering the connections. The car runs fine now.

But it took him months to figure it out.

He who hesitates is lost.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I had a simillar problem, the sensor bracket was loose causing the sensor gap to go slightly out of adjustment, this took a few tows to figure out.......
87 924s....don't let the door hit ya
68 912.......see ya!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I have seen 2 cases of very odd no start problems that is not related to the DME relay or sensors. One time, the short ground from the battery negative to the battery tray area was not bolted in. Another time, it was the injector harness shorting intermittently from melted insulation. You need 4 things for any car to start 1. compression (you have) 2. physical cam timing (you have) 3 properly timed spark (not sure) 4. fuel (not sure). When the car is not starting, shoot starting fluid into the intake and if it does not start, then you have mistimed spark from a bad DME or something electronic related. If it starts with starting fluid, check for injector pulse with a noid light (not with a volt meter - it won't work). Let me know what you find after starting fluid and noid light.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

ill try that today
Old 02-07-2008, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

a dme from an '87 924S will work in your car. i am betting it is the sensors, however.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 02-07-2008, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepellegrini View Post
My kid had the same exact sort of problems with his 951. It'd run good, then die and refuse to start. Over and over. and over.

It turned out to be a bad connection on the speed/ref sensors - where the cables from the sensors plugs into the harness to the DME. The wires had been handled too many times and the connection was intermittant.

He solved it by cutting out that section of wire (on the DME harness) and splicing in new sections - and then soldering the connections. The car runs fine now.

But it took him months to figure it out.
That is such a coincidence becuase i bought my 951 in may and starting to put in all new vacuum lines etc, and found that my sensor wires were cut and soldered together and i put electrical tape on that yesterday and found the connector that used to be there in the blower area, i thought why would someone do this and now i found out lol. I don't think i bought your son's car because im here in ny.
1995 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1981 Corvette 4spd
Old 02-07-2008, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Put a Noid light on one of the injector terminals tomake sure they are firing.

Pull the distributor cap & check the rotor. It could be loose or if you have one with the black stuff between the coil terminal & plug terminal look for a pit. It could be the resistor, capcitor or whatever is in there blown out. I think it is susposed between ! & 1.5 K.

wife has 924 turbo
Old 02-08-2008, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
relay

Just to clarify - have you tried swapping in a new, < $30, DME relay? Even if it doesn't change anything, it's good to have one.
My no-start issues were EXACTLY like yours and I wish I'd just bought the DME relay earlier...
Good luck!
1997 Sentra (unclaimed!)
Old 02-09-2008, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Politically Incorrect

If you don't have an oscilliscope handy, you can try the alternate test (thank SoCal for this idea - his legacy lives on!)

Hiow to Test for crank / sensor
Old 02-09-2008, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Saga Continues

replaced both sensors with new ones and set for the timing, replaced the dme and she will start up and run fpr about 15mins perfectly and then shut off and wont start for an hour or so, i dont know what do do next
Old 03-01-2008, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

when it doesnt start, do you have spark? if you do:
install a gauge on the fule rail, when it doesnt start see what the fuel pressure reads
87 924s....don't let the door hit ya
68 912.......see ya!
Old 03-01-2008, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Seriously, you've gotta test it out when the car won't run anymore. It almost sounds like something in the system is heating up... fuel pressure would be great to know when you turn the car on and again when it no loner runs. I don't remember if you verified whether or not the car has spark when it fails but that's worth double checking as well.

This sounds a lot like my '70 Ford truck acted when the fuel filters were clogged up. It'd start up just fine and let you drive off a few miles before the filter plugged up again and then it'd quit. Much later once the pressure in the fuel lines died down the debris in the filter would settle and you could go again until things got plugged up.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

has spark when it won't start, new fuel filter,as well
Old 03-01-2008, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

So it's got spark, assuming it's got air... fuel is the only culprit left.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

fuel or the electronics involved with the injector. Try starting fluid and it should start right up. If it does not, then its not fuel.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
If you have spark (assuming at all plugs)... forget about the reference sensors they are fine.

As has been mentioned.
- check if the injectors are firing. If I was a betting man I would say you have corroded injector harness. Pretty common.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 03-02-2008, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

An offer in case you read this - I'll be down in San Antonio in May, (perhaps April as well) and if you're having issues with the car I could come have a look at it sometime.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

traded the car for a 71 vw super beetle compltely restored. I might get another 944 down the road, Thanks Josh

Old 03-05-2008, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: