Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Trying to work for parts!

Send a message via Yahoo to hpservertech
Headlight issues

I'm thinking my headlight issue is related to my ignition switch issue, but not sure. Here is what is going on:

Parking lights will turn on with the key out
Fog lights will turn on
with key in and all the way on, lights will not go up automatically
I can put them up manually using the knob on the motor
flashing the brights on the lights flash as they should
turning the brights on full time they will not turn on
if I turn the lights all the way off after i raised them manually, they do go back down automatically. So that eliminates the motor/relay.

Things I have done over the winter:
New wiring from battery to fuse panel
New ignition switch (old one does the same)

Checked the fuses and they are all good.

What else can I check? All other accessories work including radio, sunroof, blinkers, etc.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Trying to work for parts!

Send a message via Yahoo to hpservertech
Bump.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-25-2008, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

I'm not certain, but most motors that operate similarly to the headlights have a switch that will stop the motor when it gets to a certain point. Think garage door openers. They have to know where they are to know what to do, ie. up, down. Our cars have to have them, but I've never had to fiddle with that portion of the headlight assembly. The high-beam problem is most likely related to a contact on one of those stopping points. I'll dig my manual to see if I can be of further assistance.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Very often the wiring connector to the headlight motor is the problem; the pins get worn and don't connect well. Try wiggling that connector with the lights on and in the down position; if the motor springs to life, then you have a weak/loose pin or two in there.

As for the main beam... either perhaps a problem with the switch itself, or maybe you need to push it forward instead of pull and release? Some cars are like that - not sure about the '44's. Otherwise it would be time to take the switch apart and fix or replace...

HTH...

Old 05-26-2008, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: