Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

need help repacking axles

This question sounds stupid, but I'm replacing (1) axle on my 1985/2 944. I bought a rebuilt axle from NAPA. The axle comes with (2) plastic bags of grease. How do you place the grease in the boot area. Both sides of the boots are tight.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2009, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

just cut the end of the grease bag put it tight against the bearings and cage and squeeze the bag pushing the grease into the CV . thats it ! you don't want or need the boot filled with grease .
Old 09-15-2009, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Your boot should have a metal collar going over the CV joint itself. If it is anything like the factory one, you use a screwdriver or punch and tap the edge of the collar around the joint with a hammer. It'll slide off the joint and you can pack with extra grease. It is a good idea to put grease in this area, though it is more important to pack the CV properly.

Too bad I'm really busy this week- I go to UConn and would take the 10 minute drive to come show you how it's done. I've repacked 944 CVs 4 or 5 times.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

you could pack the boots but you will have to get more CV grease to do so . the sad fact is it does nothing at all lubing the boot helps in what way ? its not sex more is not better .
Old 09-15-2009, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
you could pack the boots but you will have to get more CV grease to do so . the sad fact is it does nothing at all lubing the boot helps in what way ? its not sex more is not better .
¿que?
Old 09-16-2009, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: