Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Skype™ to cvriv.charles
Clicking under my car.

I was going home from work and I heard this clicking noise coming from under the car. Middle to rear area. It's not the engine. It seems to do it in gear under acceleration or when engine breaking. The hard I accel the louder it is. Same for engine breaking. So I popped the car in 5th and road that the whole way home. about a 1 hour drive. About half way through while in 5th I tried a hard accel to see if it would do it. Nothing. I got off the highway and started driving through the gears. It was gone.

It was very loud and noticable clicking noise. I am thinking rear CV's? Right wrong? What do you think. I am going to park the car for a while. I have a lot of work to do on it and this is probably going to be one more thing.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Mark the CV joints L & R ----IN & OUT
When you take off the CV (8mm triple sq.pan head bolts) to repack the grease (Pelican $10 for a grease gun tube for 4 joints), check for bearing grooves in the race. If you see a groove swap L to R--keep OUT to OUT. This places a new surface for the ball bearings.
Usually the exhaust side wears out due to the heat of the muffler.

If you do not see any grooves--repack anyway.

Now you have to consider the rear wheel bearings going bad. This would cause the "loud" clicking as the bearings and race separate.

GL
John_AZ
Old 12-03-2009, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ok. Thanks. I'll have to throw this on my list of things to do. Thanks john.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Charles,

You should check the torque of the CV bolts now. It may be as simple as a loose bolt.

GL
John_AZ
Old 12-04-2009, 03:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I really wish I could. I have a lot going on right now. I have to admit that I have been neglecting my car lately. Driving it around without going through thr car checking stuff out. I just been throwing iol in the car and driving it. It's been doing fine other than this new problem. But I am going to par it until I have some free time to get under the car and check everything out. I need to really know my car before I start driving it around again.

Thanks john.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
It also might be worth a look see into the clutch bell housing to see if you still have the rubber center clutch disk - they can make this type of noise when getting old and cracked.
Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 12-04-2009, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

i had a similar issue onmy bmw. it was the center support bearing around the drive shaft the mount around it got torn
Old 12-04-2009, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
and don't put any more iol in the engine, use oil instead.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The car had a clutch job in 2001 i think. I dont know if it has a rubber center. But I will check. I have to wait a bit though. Im dirt broke and im working on the garage. tearing down sheetrock painting the floor etc. As soon as I finish and have some cash I will get started. I want to check the car over fully. I really want to do a leak down to see how the engine is doing.

@TSNAPCRACKLEPOP - but iol is soooo cheap. Hard to say no
Old 12-04-2009, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Ok I think I will do my CV's within the next few days. Maybe saturday. Other thn CV grease,... is there anything else I will need to do this job? Any special tools needed? I will consult the facman for the procedure. I will check the bell housing for rubber but I doubt I have a rubber center seeing it was replaced in 2001. Dont think the po would be dumb enough to replace with another rubber center. So anything else?

I plan on going under the hood of the car soon to do some work there too. Have to save up some pennies for that because there are a few things under there that I have to do.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: