Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Crunching into 2nd...

when I try to shift fast into 2nd sometimes it goes but crunches, sometimes it doesnt go at all and sometimes(when it's warm outside) goes smooth but slow. Is it the syncro? If so, how much to replace? It's the same shifting into 1st (only while rolling) but that's not as annoying. What else could remedy? thanks

Pat
02' Suzuki GSX-R 600
Old 01-29-2002, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PorscheG96
Sounds like synchros in 1st and 2nd becoming worn, but flush your clutch fluid just to be sure the clutch it disengaging all the way. Try learning to match the RPM's when shifting, doesn't matter if you're up or downshifting, matching the engine speed to the tranny will save the synchros from more excessive wear and allow for smoother gear changes. -Trevor
Old 01-29-2002, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
I have that same problem...I have to change the tranny fluid to be sure the right fluid is being used and that there is enough. Not familar with clutch fluid? I match the RPM all the time, the thing is that I just got this car so the syncros were already on thier way out when i got it. I t wasnt that bad when I got it though? Hmmm? How expensive is it to replace synros and how hard?
Old 01-29-2002, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The parts are not al that expensive, however, it is a very labor intensive process. I think the "book" (from which all labor rates come from) puts it somewhere around 12 hours.

AFJuvat
Old 01-29-2002, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

What year and model is your car?
I would get the clutch inspected and change the trans fluid to synthetic. See if that helps. If you find out you need to rebuild the transmission let me know. I can get you a 1987 924S transmission with only 53k miles on it for about 1/2 the cost it will be to rebuild your current box. Rebuilt will be in the 1K range.

Eric
Eric.Lynch@itt.com
Old 01-30-2002, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: