Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
uvachief

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to uvachief
Question Swapping out old odometer for replacement

I am tired of trying to fix my existing odometer. It continues to stop even though the gear and the teeth are in good shape (or at least appear to be). I replaced the gear recently and I am probably at least the 4th person to take a whack at fixing this thing. It runs for about 250 miles and then stops each time it is repaired. Someone fiddled with it and the washers ages ago and whatever they did has caused a major problem. I want to just swap the cluster out with a used one that I know works. The record mileage is already a mess on this car as someone got the bright idea to reset it to zero at some point. The actualy mileage is somewhere in the neighborhood of 135,000. Below are pictures of the odometer gear out of another cluster that I have. How do I disconnect the wires connecting the speedometer to the cluster?

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 08-15-2011, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
By the way, swapping out the instrument cluster bulbs for the www.944online.com 3 pack of LED reflector dash bulbs has made all the difference in the world on my dash. I can actually see everything at night. I had to add aluminum foil to the back as the reflector tape had completely perished. www.944online.com also sells a reflector dash repair kit with reflector tape. $69.95 for the kit with bulbs or just $29.95 for the bulbs.

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD

Last edited by uvachief; 08-16-2011 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: misspellings
Old 08-16-2011, 02:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
Also, if you need a new gauge but would like to get an entire cluster for the price of one gauge, try DC Auto. If you bid on the gauge, they generally send you the entire cluster. So you bid $75 for the speedometer, and you will end up with the entire cluster ribbon and all. I ordered the combo oil/voltage gauge from them and got an entire cluster. I recently ordered a new speedometer and got an entire cluster again. dc Automotive - The #1 Porsche Parts Dealer in America!

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 08-16-2011, 02:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Motorhead!

Send a message via AIM to Streetcrawler
Hey,

I could use some internal parts to the speedo to try to repair mine. If you are interested in giving that one up for parts instead of trashing it I may be interested. I would have to take it apart to see if it has good working stuff I need in it.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetcrawler View Post
Hey,

I could use some internal parts to the speedo to try to repair mine. If you are interested in giving that one up for parts instead of trashing it I may be interested. I would have to take it apart to see if it has good working stuff I need in it.
When I get my cruddy old one out, you are more than welcome to it! Free of charge...just pay shipping. Will have a working gear in it.

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 08-16-2011, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
But, if no one answers the question to my original post, I will never get it out. How do I disconnect the wires on the replacement one above?

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 08-17-2011, 02:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Under the car

I believe the entire panel comes out of the cluster so you don't have to disconnect the wires. Its been a long time since I have taken one apart and I am not at home right now to take a look.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Quality

You don't disconnect any wires. That board comes out too.

I had the 'exact' same problem with my original cluster. It turns out it is the little black toothed spinners that control each number place, they were binding.

You can figure this out if, when it stopped/stops moving, you remove the cluster carefully, and spin the worm gear by hand, you can see what happens. =)
Old 08-17-2011, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Motorhead!

Send a message via AIM to Streetcrawler
Wiggle it. That circuit board should lift right out.

Let me know when you get the new one in. I can pay for shipping. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
my 924 -81 speed omometer wont turn any trip kilometers, i have opened the odometer and regocnized that the the axel that holds up the numbers is not holding in place and when it moves out of the place the pinion moves too

is there a easy fix for that?
Old 08-27-2011, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_iii View Post
You don't disconnect any wires. That board comes out too.

I had the 'exact' same problem with my original cluster. It turns out it is the little black toothed spinners that control each number place, they were binding.

You can figure this out if, when it stopped/stops moving, you remove the cluster carefully, and spin the worm gear by hand, you can see what happens. =)
Thanks! It just pops out.

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 09-17-2011, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
Anyone have a clue what this particular speedometer might have come out of? It was supposed to have been from a 1987 944 na manual but it didn't quite line up exactly right. Also, my mechanic said the odometer gear appeared to have been upgraded or different. a 968 maybe?

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 11-08-2011, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by uvachief View Post
I am tired of trying to fix my existing odometer. It continues to stop even though the gear and the teeth are in good shape (or at least appear to be). I replaced the gear recently and I am probably at least the 4th person to take a whack at fixing this thing. It runs for about 250 miles and then stops each time it is repaired. Someone fiddled with it and the washers ages ago and whatever they did has caused a major problem. I want to just swap the cluster out with a used one that I know works. The record mileage is already a mess on this car as someone got the bright idea to reset it to zero at some point. The actualy mileage is somewhere in the neighborhood of 135,000. Below are pictures of the odometer gear out of another cluster that I have. How do I disconnect the wires connecting the speedometer to the cluster?

Anyone have a clue what year and model this gauge cluster is? Was supposed to be from an 87 944 auto. It isn't. Odometer gear mechanism is different and appears upgraded. 968 maybe?

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 11-17-2011, 12:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
cluster , gear , odometer , speedometer