Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Another LED Gauge Cluster question ...

I read countless threads on this and am doing the LED conversion on my gauge cluster. Still have some questions ...

Do the bulbs pictured below separate from their sockets? These are from my gauge cluster.

I am replacing them with LEDs. Is there a way to wire the LEDs into factory sockets without having to solder onto the printed circuit?

I know that one bulb is 12/1.2 and the other is 12/2.0 watt - latter can be replaced with Sylvania 158 or 194.

However, those of you who did an LED conversion - without buying any kits - what can I use to put an LED in the bulb socket? Can it be done? Do I just pull the bulb out and solder in the LED - making sure I align anode with the printed circuit's positive when I install it in?

Do they make LED sockets that fit the stock holders?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The short answer is yes, they make and LED bulb that is a drop in replacement of the incandescent bulb. No need to solder and they work just like the incandescent bulbs. The dimmer functions the same. Check out this thread. I used these bulbs myself and they work great. I did the conversion about 4 to 5 years ago and no problems. Search for the thread "Just Completed the Dashboard Light Fix". It has everything you need to know.

AJ
3bar Reg.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
thank you, I found your thread. I also found the LEDs at superbirhgtled.com. Just wondered if the bulb can be easily separated from the socket.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
This bulb for the late model? 194 LED Bulb - 5 LED Wide Angle Wedge Base | Miniature Wedge Base LEDs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Old 11-12-2012, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

^

Yes, those bulbs are for late model gage clusters. I see now the original poster has an 84 model. I'm not sure if Superbright carries the bulbs for the earlier gage clusters, but I bet they do. I just don't know what the base number would be. Maybe someone with an earlier model car that has done this conversion can help.

AJ
3bar Reg.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

i've tried a few different LED bulbs in the late dash. they all sucked. too bright. the dimmer did not work correctly. spotty light.

i even tried colored ones, boots that go over them, yada yada.

all i was trying to do was even out the light in the dash, not make it any brighter, as i run it almost off, so as to improve night vision.

in the end, i found the OEM setup worked best. anything else was just too glaring. the last thing i wanted to do was reduce my night vision by having my dash glare at me. the dimmer the better.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I ordered a couple of different types of 194 LEDs in amber from superbrightleds website. I will try to see which ones work better and post pictures once i'm done with the install. I do like dimmer dash lights. Mine were almost non-existent though so I decided to update them. I might go back to stock bulbs if the dash turns out too bright.

I followed Clark's procedure and put some aluminum foil on the back for now. I might try to resilver the light tunnels for a more proper fix.

I do have a question about those tunnels, can you separate them from the housing? I'm referring to the clear plastic pieces that come silvered from the factory. If you look where the three 194 bulbs sit, there is a clear plastic piece to let the light into the tunnel. Factory silvering is almost gone in that area but there is no way to get to it because the backside is covered with black plastic.

I'm assuming you'd have to remove the clear plastic pieces to get to that area. Any ideas on how that can be done?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Here's the list of LEDs that I ordered. I got two different kinds of 194s. Sockets are sold separately so I got those too.

3 | T10S-TW: 168/194 (WLED) Twist Lock Wedge Base Socket| $ 1.19 |
T10S-TW: T10 Socket
------------------------------------------------------------
3 | WLED-x-x: 194 LED Bulb - 1 LED Wedge Base| $ 0.79 |
WLED-A-120: Amber 120 Degree
15 | T1.5-x: PC74 LED Bulb - Instrument Panel LED| $ 1.79 |
T1.5-A: Amber
3 | WLED-x5: 194 LED Bulb - 5 LED Wide Angle Wedge Base| $ 2.99 |
WLED-A5: Amber
Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
To be honest I do like the slightly dim factory lighting. It's enough to see all the gauges but nothing more and no glare.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

yeah - there is a whole thing about the design of the OEM lights and all the testing that went into them. it's ironic that after all the things i tried, i ended up stock. sometimes they just get it right
Old 11-12-2012, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Redline Racer

Yes, the bulb will separate from the plastic holder, at least the small one will. The existing contacts in the holder are such that you can just buy the same style bulb by itself and bend the bulb contacts so they contact the ones in the holder when inserted. If you poke around through the bulb rack at the auto parts store, there are lamps available that are the same style and slightly higher wattage than the factory spec, which retains the original look and feel, but boosts the brightness noticeably.

You couldn't just solder an LED directly to the holder. You would need some sort of ballast resistor to limit the current/drop the voltage when supplied with 12V. You'll get magic smoke instantly if you hook up a bare LED straight to 12V. Most LEDs have a forward voltage of ~2.5V each, so you'd have to chain five of them in series, or use resistors. Pay attention to the maximum rated currents, too.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
I'm sure the LEDs would look cool, but the soft natural light that Porsche supplied is easy on my eyes and lights up the gauges very visibly at nighttime, but with little eye strain. I could see the brightness/high temperature color/intensity of LED dash lights causing eye strain and also making it harder to see things outside the car at night. Same reason why we have soft red (sometimes green) light on ships during nighttime and battlestations etc.
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
Old 11-12-2012, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
HondaDustR, they now make 12v LEDs that have the resistor built in. You can also hook up a 330ohm resistor to a 5v led to get the same effect. The LEDs from the website I listed above are dimmable. I got amber ones to stay close to stock color temperature. I read the article that explains choice of instrument colors and found it quite useful. I am going to try using red LEDs as well. I'm not going for the color-washed gauges that most led conversions end up with. I'm just trying to experiment with different types of illumination in the cluster. On a side note, our cars do have a check engine light albeit unused. No it's not the !. It actually says check engine when illuminated. Cluster comes without bulbs in these sockets from the factory though.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

it's used in the 968
Old 11-12-2012, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
What gauge says "check engine"
Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
tachometer
Old 11-12-2012, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
This thread says Occassional "Check Engine" light and rough running upon startup - Rennlist Discussion Forums it's on the oil/volt gauge
Old 11-12-2012, 10:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Old 11-12-2012, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Couple of pictures below ... ended up using the 5-led 12v combo in place of the 3 2Watt bulbs. Left the small 15 black ones in place because the ones sent by superbrightleds, T1.5 - PC74 I believe, did not fit the cut out in the cluster. Also, I could not separate the stock black sockets from their bulbs without effing them up.

So far I like the result. Very subtle but definitely visible.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: