Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
My $30 front tow hook solution

I have started to track my '87 944S and it pains me that there is no good front tow hook solution besides drilling a hole in the middle of my front bumper. After hours of searching and gathering pieces of information, I found a perfect solution... and it only cost me $30

As you can see from the pictures. I got a long version of the SafeQuip tow strap ($25). The strap itself is 18" excluding the loop and the buckle. For the bolt/nut, I got myself a size 7/16-20 bolt, 3 washers and a nylon lock nut (all Grade 8 - less than $5). Removed the fog light and bolt it onto the stock tow point.

Took me 15 minute to do, without jacking the car up.

I know I'm not the first one that has came to this solution as I did... but since I couldn't find anyone posting a similar solution, I thought I should share this info... Hoping someone will find this useful

Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
Pretty cool.. need the fog light though
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Old 04-18-2013, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

cool. id do both sides though, those hooks arent as sturdy as you might think. maybe come up with a cover to pop in the fog socket to hide tow point like a new car
Old 04-19-2013, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Sooo What happens when you go faster and need brake ducting? Also what happens during off track "excursion" and you bury your nose in the "kitty litter"?

Great mod for now but I would plan on having to evolve it later.

"Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect" - Ross Bentley
Old 04-19-2013, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks It's easy to put it back... which I'll do when there's a long break between track days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
Pretty cool.. need the fog light though
Old 04-19-2013, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Hopefully it's strong enough to pull me out of the gravel... but I'm hoping I won't find myself in that situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rocket_aka944 View Post
cool. id do both sides though, those hooks arent as sturdy as you might think. maybe come up with a cover to pop in the fog socket to hide tow point like a new car
Old 04-19-2013, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Good thinking... I haven't gotten that far yet but will definitely take all this into consideration... thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944sracer View Post
Sooo What happens when you go faster and need brake ducting? Also what happens during off track "excursion" and you bury your nose in the "kitty litter"?

Great mod for now but I would plan on having to evolve it later.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: