Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How do you remove the wire harness from fuse box?

I need to replace a few burned wires from the wiring harness, and can't figure out how to remove the harness from the bottom of the fuse box. Any advice? Thanks.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Well, you cant. You can unplug the fuse box but you wont get the harness out through the hole. You'll need to pull it out from inside the car. I just did it on a parts car.

This is the harness in its entirety. It's massive.

which wires are you trying to replace?

instagram @mhariush http://stores.ebay.com/Techniker-Parts/
Old 06-07-2013, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
what year is your car?

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
87(86)

Old 06-07-2013, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
And it was a pain in the ass to get out. I had to disconnect the steering rack to get the big chunk of wires out and it goes under carpet and sound proofing and everywhere...

Old 06-07-2013, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have an 89 S2. I have the dash off the car so have good access to the bottom of the fuse box. The problem I'm having is getting the sub-harnesses out of the fuse box. There isn't an obvious tab that holds the sub-harnesses to the fuse box, and I have to replace a several bad wires starting at the fuse box. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Ah, pull the fuse box up from the engine bay, pull it good and twist it and you'll have access to and can disconnect the harness. But make sure you disconnect the battery first...

Old 06-07-2013, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I've got the fuse box pulled up and have access to the bottom, but something is holding the individual sub-harnesses in place. I don't see a latch or clip, so what's the secret for pulling the sub-harness out of the fuse box? Thanks.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hmm. I don't recall, so I don't think it was anything special. Just have to wrestle it out, gently I think. I just did it, a month or two ago...

Here's the fuse box without the wires, if that helps you see it from different angles...

Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
there is a center mechanism that holds all the big clips on. There is a small tab in the center of the front of the fuse panel (see above pic). Pull that tab out and it will fee the latch slider on the inside of the large connectors. There is a small clip on the outside edge of the connector gently pry this away but careful not to crack them, and remove the connector.

Regards
Dave
Old 06-07-2013, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Colangelo View Post
there is a center mechanism that holds all the big clips on. There is a small tab in the center of the front of the fuse panel (see above pic). Pull that tab out and it will fee the latch slider on the inside of the large connectors. There is a small clip on the outside edge of the connector gently pry this away but careful not to crack them, and remove the connector.

Regards
Dave
Ah, yes Dave. It's good that some remember. It's coming back to me now.

And it is this one

Old 06-07-2013, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

That did it. Thanks everyone. Now I just got to find a place that sells the proper connectors - hopefully they'll have them at my nearby radio shack.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Well, I have the complete harness, but I'd have to sell it as one piece.

This looks like a good one to pick apart maybe?

1990 Porsche 944 S2 Cabriolet Convertible Wiring Harness Dashboard Fuse Box | eBay

Old 06-07-2013, 11:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: