Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
uvachief

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to uvachief
frayed reference sensor?

Well I may have found the culprit of my starting problem. My bottom cross reference or speed sensor is frayed. I pulled the ecu dme box and the oms and voltage all checked out. See below. How do you disconnect the male plug?

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 09-15-2013, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Good find. On the other side of the bracket is the female side of the connector. There's a thin wire that wraps around the fat portion of the connector. Take a fine screwdriver or thin, pointed knife tip and lift the wire off the connector on the sides. Don't lose the wire. Once it's lifted, the plug should easily pull out. Before you plug in the NEW sensor, put the wire clip back into it's recesses on the sides of the connector. Then when you plug in the new sensor plug, it'll click right in and you're done.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
When I went to disconnect the male from the female, it just came apart. No wire and the male connector was cracked or broken around the fringe. I saw no gold wire. It just came apart without any effort.

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 09-15-2013, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
Could any animal have gnawed the wire?

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 09-15-2013, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

After many years of heat cycling and engine-related chemicals, it was just time to fail. That heater control valve in the background might be on its last legs too. This stuff just gets crispy.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
Yeah but I just replaced the reference sensors 4 years ago and the heater control valve 2 years ago.

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 09-15-2013, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Really should have been good still if they're that new. There's no sign of animal gnawing in the picture, it's just a clean break that would leave no gaps if you pressed the two halves back together. Animals and insects remove material.

Does the cable get bent or yanked on a regular basis, or does anything hit it when the engine moves?
Old 09-16-2013, 01:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
I tried black taping it together as best I could but I still cannot get it to catch when trying to start. She cranks but won't catch. Since I cannot get the engine to run, I cannot see if anything is hitting. Looks clear or would have been cut up worse.

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 09-16-2013, 02:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Since the wire separated, I assume from pulling, you can't be assured that the conductor inside is intact unless you take an ohm meter and see if you get around 1000 ohms between connectors as shown:
Sensor Resistance Checks

Disconnect the Sensor plug connector at the back of the engine compartment.
Using a multi-meter, check the sensor resistances as follows:

Speed Sensor
Terminals Resistance Reading
8 - 27 600 - 1600 ohms
8 - 23 > 1 M-ohm
Reference Sensor
Terminals Resistance Reading
25 - 26 600 - 1600 ohms
25 - 78 > 1 M-ohm

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
I'll test it. Already tested the dme ecu plug. Anyone got step by step instructions for removing the old sensor? Do you just loan the nut and it comes out?

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 09-17-2013, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
Oh yeah. .. don't drop the reference sensor bolt onto the bell housing!

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 10-08-2013, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
One apex at a time

Garage
It is from the movement of the motor causing repeeted flaxing of the wires.

Mine were much worse.

I cut the wires off the plugs and then took a dermal tool with s grinding stone attachment and carefully ground done the plastic of the plug to expose the connectors in the cast plastic. There should still be parts of the wire insulation attached to match up the colors. Strip back the wires on the lead form the sensor and put shrink wrap over the whole thing and then over each individual wire and then re soldered things back together and put the shrink wrap over and then wrapped in electrical tape. Works good as new and no more intermittent no start any more.

I tried to remove the sensors af first but they are stuck in there so I did the next best thing and repaired the plugs.

General Car Specs & Mods
Project Megasquirt 924s
Old 10-11-2013, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Check out the link at clark's-garage.com.

Speed and Reference Sensors - Checking, Replacement, and Adjustment

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-19.htm

Cheers,
Larry

Last edited by Grandad#3; 10-11-2013 at 08:12 PM..
Old 10-11-2013, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
dme , ecu , reference sensor , starting