Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

just got my 944-what things should i flush/replace...

Proud new owner of a 87 944 with 132k on the clock. Just wondering what i should replace and what parts I should keep on deck. Here is what I have so far...

Oil change with 5qts of Mobil 1 15w50 and a Mahle filter
Trans fluid change
Rear diff change
Power steering flush
radiator flush
Complete set of new radiator hoses
New spark plugs
brake check
Repair battery with epson salts and distilled water
Hood struts
Back up DME relay
new timing belt?- maybe

Im new to Porsches so im looking for anything i might have left out that is a common problem the previous owner did not know much about cars so I am trying to save my own ass and replace everything before s**t hits the fan. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2014, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Allow me to be the first of many when I say: Change the timing belts. Unless you have documented proof of when they were done last and it was within the last 2 years.

Do Epsom salts and distilled water really fix batteries? Here in Canada they're dead after their 4th winter, no matter what we do.

Welcome to the forum!
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
87-944 congtrats on buying your 944 and welcome to the forum.Your taking the rigth steps by coming here asking questions,in a long run it will pay believe me.+1 with what Slam is saying TB/BSB rollers & front seals should be look at if no records of them being done.Also check your fuel lines closely ( on top of the motor in the engine bay) for any sign of leak or deterioration.Have fun
83-944 show room -sold___New ride 93-968 with SC steering wheel-ROW signal ligths- Susp M030 mods lowered,Porsche VA springs- Adjustable struts - Bilstein inserts - Bilstein sport rear -LSD -riding on Cup 1 wheels 17x8 frt 17x9.5 rear road contact Falken 452/ 225-45 ZR Front 255-40 ZR Rear -- Motor Mods /chip /K&N / mod air boxe just love the handling & power
Old 05-26-2014, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam View Post
Allow me to be the first of many when I say: Change the timing belts. Unless you have documented proof of when they were done last and it was within the last 2 years.

Do Epsom salts and distilled water really fix batteries? Here in Canada they're dead after their 4th winter, no matter what we do.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks! Im pretty sure the belt has not been done in the last 12 years because that is how long this guy had owned it... its only 12 bucks for a gates on on amazon so I will order-- should i do rollers as well?
As for the epsom salts- Im from Vermont so I as well consider a battery dead after 4 years but his one said it was only 2 years old so I looked online for tricks to revive and found the epsom salt trick, Just pop off the well caps, heat distilled water, stir in salt and fill the reservoirs. Just did it today- before the car would not start after sitting for an hour after and drive and now it fires right up!
Old 05-26-2014, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie9944 View Post
87-944 congtrats on buying your 944 and welcome to the forum.Your taking the rigth steps by coming here asking questions,in a long run it will pay believe me.+1 with what Slam is saying TB/BSB rollers & front seals should be look at if no records of them being done.Also check your fuel lines closely ( on top of the motor in the engine bay) for any sign of leak or deterioration.Have fun
Thanks! I will check the seals- it looks like some smoke is coming off the exhuast from some oil in the engine bay (left back), one pro is this car has 0 rust or corrosion do you think the rollers are necessary?
Old 05-26-2014, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87-944 View Post
Thanks! I will check the seals- it looks like some smoke is coming off the exhuast from some oil in the engine bay (left back), one pro is this car has 0 rust or corrosion do you think the rollers are necessary?
This will be your friendly garage from now on: Clark's Garage Home Page for any trouble shooting use the Garage Shop Manuel,for any new parts look at the Pelican Parts Catalogue for use part take a peek at the Pelican 924/944/968 Classified Use Parts Forum
83-944 show room -sold___New ride 93-968 with SC steering wheel-ROW signal ligths- Susp M030 mods lowered,Porsche VA springs- Adjustable struts - Bilstein inserts - Bilstein sport rear -LSD -riding on Cup 1 wheels 17x8 frt 17x9.5 rear road contact Falken 452/ 225-45 ZR Front 255-40 ZR Rear -- Motor Mods /chip /K&N / mod air boxe just love the handling & power
Old 05-26-2014, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wow Clarks Garage is worth its weight in gold...
Old 05-26-2014, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats on your purchase!! I wouldn't even start your car if you don't have any documentation until you replaced the timing belt and rollers. My TB was still good when I had my car serviced but one of the rollers fell apart when the belt was taken off. You should also replace the water pump while you're in there.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
Also, check you oil level; these engines take 5.8 qts.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
The oil on the back of the engine is likely the little cork gasket on the back of the camshaft tower cover. It's cheap and very common issue. Remember: don't over-tighten it. . I have an '87 944 also and I advise getting used to the WYIT (while you're in there) slogan. With these cars, it's a good idea to fix whatever else could be a future failure item while you have access to it. With the timing belt, especially with an unsure maintenance history, do the timing AND balance belts, water pump and the front of engine oil seals (WYIT). Also if you see an oil leak, it's most often an aged rubber seal. If so, remember that all the other rubber seals are the same age and will likely start to leak in the near future as well. So....Do one...Do them all.

Welcome to the adventure. It's a great car, properly maintained.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: