Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Nigel Tufnel Wannabe

Power steering not working...help, please.

Was hoping some of you could help. My car came with a trashed rack which didn't hold any fluid. I bought a rebuilt rack and installed it, replaced the reservoir and the bad hoses. I bought a rebuild kit and installed it in the pump...seemed simple enough, followed the instructions and watched a video. I followed the clarks garage instruction to bleed but I have no power steering. I don't see any bubbles in the reservoir after turning the wheels so I think the pump may be bad, even though I rebuilt it. I don't hear any whining or grinding or any noise from the pump. So I am assuming it isn't working. Is there a way to tell if it's any good? I have no leaks at all. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Full disclosure, the power steering should be called "powerish steering", it's not like where you can turn the wheel at idle with two fingers... Did it bubble at all? It's not a gurgling bubble, more like the bubbles in a freshly poured glass of tea if I had to think of a way to describe it. Turning to lock both ways a few times you should be able to get it to feel better.

I haven't rebuilt my pump before but I know its of a rotary design, so it's hard for me to believe that the pump isn't displacing at all unless it's totally clogged with garbage. Just curious, are you using ATF and not power-steering fluid?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Nigel Tufnel Wannabe

Power steering

Used ATF. The fluid did enter the system, as the reservoir did drop, but no bubbles and no noticeable power assist at all while turning the wheel from side to side. I have another pump I'll try.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Nigel Tufnel Wannabe

Ok, I went ahead and bought a new pump. So now I have a rebuilt rack, new pump, pressure hose, reservoir and supply hose. Only thing I haven't replaced is the return line, which looks great. Belt is tensioned properly and have filled with new ATF. But I am still getting hard spots in the steering 50% of the time, which I am assuming are air pockets. I have no leaks at all. How the hell do I get the air out of the system? I raised the wheels just off of the ground and turned them from side to side on and off for a couple of hours. Saw air bubbles in the beginning for sure. Any ideas?
Old 04-15-2015, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Sounds like you got a bum rack.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 04-15-2015, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Nigel Tufnel Wannabe

If it was sucking air from somewhere I should see a leak, right? I went through the bleed process again and didn't see a single freakin air bubble.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: