Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Tired Member

Garage
Need help freeing steering rack universal joint

New to me 1985 (early) 944 track car. Power steering converted to manual (poorly).

I'm trying to remove the rack to send to Martin Willis for proper conversion.

I've got it completely free ... except that damn universal joint. Got the bolt out with no trouble but it won't let go.

I have tried:
  1. Spreading it by wedging a screwdriver in and twisting it with a pair of vise grips
  2. Prying it
  3. Soaking in PB blaster
  4. Pounding on it
  5. Heat
  6. Various combinations of the above

It seems to have moved a little but not much.

Anyone have a secret to solve my problem?

Thanks in advance.
Support vehicle - '00 Suburban 2500 4x4
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 05-16-2017, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Remove bolt, use a cold chisel and a hammer to open the gap and apply upward pressure on the joint (one motion).
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 05-17-2017, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Is the rack still bolted to the crossmember?
Old 05-17-2017, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yeah, you can't remove the U-joint without lowering the rack at the same time. Otherwise you'd have to compress the steering-shaft somehow.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
I gave it a few more rounds of heat and soaked it another day in PB Blaster. Then as suggested a cold chisel and small sledge hammer eventually persuaded it to let go.

It is now all boxed up and ready to ship out.

Thanks to all,
Support vehicle - '00 Suburban 2500 4x4
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 05-17-2017, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
This joint is easily separated using a simple home made press as shown in the video here.

https://youtu.be/Wv80LUg2c-4

Old 01-07-2018, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
FYI, getting that cross member back into position can be a nightmare. The various things still bolted to it may prevent you simply pushing it upwards into position, requiring prying, pulling, swearing, etc. To avoid it since you have time before the impending struggle, take one of the bolts to a hardware store and get a couple that are 2 inches longer so you can use those as guides to line it up and push it up. Then insert two of the correct ones, and then replace the long ones once its held in position. I've done the struggle, and I've done the long bolt trick. Don't do the struggle for the $3 price of a couple long bolts.....

Good job, by the way.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
The joy of working on 30 year old cars must never be forgotten.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

What I have found to be the biggest hassle in all of this is getting the steering gear shaft back onto the steering knuckle. I have tried all kinds of stuff, but have yet to get the thing to fully engage so I can get the retaining bolt back in position. I even measured the steering rack gear shaft diameter just to make sure I didn't have the wrong rack, but everything measures to within a couple of thousandths. I'm stuck.
Jesse
Old 01-11-2018, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
A knuckle is usually at a wheel and a steering shaft is usually what comes from the steering column. What bits are you working with? Mebbe someones been there like you are.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I guess I could have been more precise in my description. What I am having trouble doing is fully inserting the steering rack splined shaft into the steering column lower universal joint clamp as described in Clark's Garage. I've seen a YouTube video where the gentleman used a long piece of metal to tap the universal joint clamp down onto the steering gear splined shaft from above, but on my Turbo, there is a metal hood covering the area. It is held in place by two bolts and it appears that I would have to take the turbo out of the way to get to it. I would rather not do that if it's not necessary. Hope that explains my issue a bit more clearly.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
What can be pressed off can usually be pressed on. My first thought is 2 long threaded rods and a couple pieces of metal. Sometimes manufacturing a special press is easier than fighting with parts. I have a drawer full of special presses - many for 1 time use.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
Oh yeah. I hope it helps across the miles to know that was a complete bugger for me as well - and that was on a 924 with way better access than you have. I had a helper wiggle the steering slightly. Part of it is if it gets misaligned, it will firmly jam. Then the pressure required to unjam pulls it completely apart, right? So you start all over again. Argh. And with no clear view of it, you can't tell if its going on crooked. Well, I sympathize. I used some lubricant, some steering wheel wiggles and my neck felt like mild whiplash the next couple days. Put a very bright light on it so you can discern the alignment. If you're an old guy like me you've already learned about the light. If you're in that loooooong period before you realize youve been an old guy for years and should be using readers and bright lights, that may help. Heh.....
Old 01-13-2018, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

First off, apologies to DaddyGlenn. I did not intend to high jack his OP. Being a member of the baby boomer generation, I'm very aware of the need for reading glasses and as much light as you can stand, hah. Yes, being under that car will make you feel like you've spent hours at the gym doing belly crunches. Even with all the frustrations that come with working on a 30 year old car, I still love it. Every time I peel back that onion, I find something else that needs fixing, but then again, I would hate for someone to lift the hood on me--it wouldn't be pretty. When I figure out how to get this thing back together, I'll report back. Thx for the input and suggestions guys.
Jesse
Old 01-15-2018, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Remove the upper intermediate shaft universal joint first, then attach the lower universal joint to the steering rack. Before you tighten the rack, install the upper universal joint back to the steering shaft, making sure the wheel is straight.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestion Matt, I had not considered attacking it from that direction. I'll take a look at that. Love this forum.
Jesse
Old 01-15-2018, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: