Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
STELLA ROSSA 91

924s runing rough at idle

This is regarding my 87 924s, always ran great till 2 couple of days ago. Starts fine from cold, runs fine for first min or so, but within min or min and a half the idle would get very rough, if I press gas not much happens, stumbles hesitates, occasional back fire. Car will not stall, keeps running rough. If I restart, it always starts, sometimes would be excellent with first jab off throttle, but as soon as it comes to idle , roughness returns, sometimes runs rough immediately after restart..

My idle was always bit shaky, but not like this...

Only thing I did prior to this is I unplugged and reconnected the o2 sensor...
the following day I cleaned the contacts to speed and reference sensor connectors , but this happened prior to cleaning them...

Has anyone experienced theses symptoms like I said...it always restars fine, and will not stall completely.....

THX!
Old 01-24-2018, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

try unplugging the idle control valve (plug is between the intake manifold runners for cylinders 2 and 3) and see how it runs.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sounds like you are dropping a cylinder to me. I’d suspect an injector, but it could be as simple as a spark plug wire or something. Probably amplified by a tired set of engine mounts.
https://instagram.com/bradical924/
Old 01-24-2018, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

I repaired this problem in 2017---same symptoms.

The larger hoses under the intake had rotted and cracked.
I did not need a new ICV or throttle valve switch.

Check all air hose connections you can see from the top---and the small tube rubber connections.

Have the throttle body BIG round seal on hand ---WYAIT

Have 4 intake gaskets on hand.

Look at the PET.

I wasted a lot of time X3 doing the smoke test and then one part , then another , then another.

J_AZ
Old 01-24-2018, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
STELLA ROSSA 91

Thank you all for taking the time!

Battling a bad cold or something, so as soon as the wife oks my further tinkering will give it another look.

THX!
Old 01-24-2018, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: