Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

You are sure that it's TT bearings? And not rear wheel bearings?

I'm glad you were able to drive it to the show. And home. Did you happen to get any names of the other owners?

On my trip back from Banner Elk, N.C, (1200 miles) I got 21 mpg- all highway and very fast. Cruise control was set.

Speaking of....does your cruise control work?
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson) and Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 08-12-2019, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
You cant have just one.

Garage
Yes, pretty sure it’s TT bearings. It makes the sound while stationary.

I didn’t get any of their names.

Nope, cruise doesn’t work. Would be nice if it did, though.
78 928 5 speed - #111
81 928 5 speed - the "Copper Turd"
81 928 Auto
Old 08-13-2019, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

The cruise control is a silver box that sits on top of the tunnel under the console. It is accessed after removing the passenger side tunnel cover. IIRC, there are 2 -3 screws that hold it in place and once those are removed, the control can be slid out and detached from the connector.

If the vacuum to the cruise tested good, it is usually the solder joints inside the controller box that simply need to be re-flowed. There are probably a hundred solder joints in there to touch your soldering iron to, and it can be tedious but very doable.

On the other hand, you could just send the controller to Roger, who has a guy that rebuilds them.
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson) and Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 08-13-2019, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

If you need help or want help with those TT bearings, just give me a call when you are ready.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
hey 1982 - this is the guy stepson referred me to a couple of years ago - i think it's the same guy he is talking about - he did my cruise control and it's worked perfectly ever since

JamesDean59@gmail.com
Old 08-13-2019, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
You cant have just one.

Garage
Thanks for the info on the cruise unit! I'll pull it out of the car this evening if it cools off enough. I'm decent at soldering so re-flowing the joints shouldn't be too big of an issue! If the vacuum to the cruise is fed from the same source as is the AC controls, then that could also be why it doesn't work. I have a leak back there, and my CCU is in need of serious help (Fresh air blower doesn't turn off and the compressor always has voltage). I have that vacuum line capped off currently but it didn't work before I disconnected it. I'll address all of my issues at once while I have it apart.

If I get stuck on something or otherwise wind up needing help, I'll give you a shout! I've pulled the rear suspension and trans/TT out of an 83 by myself before, so I think I'll be ok on this one. I'll probably wind up working on it in the evenings after work a little bit at a time. Thanks for the offer!

Thanks for the email address, Honerboys! I'll give him a shout if I'm not able to fix it myself.
78 928 5 speed - #111
81 928 Auto
Old 08-13-2019, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Yes, that's the guy. He can fix your cruise control unit no matter what symptoms it shows IIRC.

But you've got to get your vacuum right first. The transmission vacuum down on top of the torque tube is one leg off the 4-way beyond the blue one way valve. The white line that goes throughout the firewall and feeds the vacuum manifold is another leg, the vacuum line that goes to the vacuum canister of the cruise control in the drivers side fender is another leg.

Also, make sure your AC head unit is the correct part number. Basically 81-83 are the same, 84-89 are the same part number.

Check your relay XXI (top row next to last relay on the right) should be a 53 relay for your fresh air blower. Or if the relay is okay, you could have a form of magic blower syndrome. No kidding!
Old 08-13-2019, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
You cant have just one.

Garage
I'll have to trace the vacuum system out! I saw where the blue one way valve hooks to a line that runs underneath the master cylinder and into the fender well.

I'll check the part number. The temperature slider is broken off of the CCU, as is the piece that's supposed to secure one of the cables to it. Someone (who shouldn't have been messing with a Porsche) has obviously been in there before - a few of the hoses were unhooked and one of the ports on the back of the vacuum switch was even plugged with a sheet metal screw.. I think I'll start searching for a better CCU. I might've bought one for my 82 6 or 7 years back but I can't remember. I'll have to look. I know the copper turd (which has a title and has been transferred into my name as of yesterday, yay!) doesn't have one in place, but it could be hiding elsewhere in the car.

I'm not quite understanding on the relay part - "if the relay is okay", it could lead to the issue I'm having? Maybe you mean if the relay is bad?

Thanks!
78 928 5 speed - #111
81 928 Auto
Old 08-14-2019, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982_928 View Post
I'll have to trace the vacuum system out! I saw where the blue one way valve hooks to a line that runs underneath the master cylinder and into the fender well. Yes, that would be the vacuum line for the cruise control

I'll check the part number. The temperature slider is broken off of the CCU, as is the piece that's supposed to secure one of the cables to it. Someone (who shouldn't have been messing with a Porsche) has obviously been in there before - a few of the hoses were unhooked and one of the ports on the back of the vacuum switch was even plugged with a sheet metal screw.. I think I'll start searching for a better CCU. I might've bought one for my 82 6 or 7 years back but I can't remember. I'll have to look. I know the copper turd (which has a title and has been transferred into my name as of yesterday, yay!) doesn't have one in place, but it could be hiding elsewhere in the car. Does your head unit have a bunch of vacuum lines coming out the back or does it have connectors for wires? Hopefully, it's got wire connections. Those vacuum ones might be hard to find parts for, if you don't have a spare one lying around

I'm not quite understanding on the relay part - "if the relay is okay", it could lead to the issue I'm having? Maybe you mean if the relay is bad?

Thanks!
If you have "Magic blower syndrome" and the relay is good, the problem would be the fan resistor
See: https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1144683-int-fan-blows-at-max.html
Old 08-15-2019, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
You cant have just one.

Garage
I think I have the magic blower fixed. Messed around with the CCU a bit and after doing that the blower starting working correctly. I can also now hear the relay clicking whereas I couldn't before.

I still have an issue though. I have voltage but low current to the compressor anytime the ignition is on. It has just enough amperage to make the compressor clutch drag slightly. I have to manually jump 12v to the compressor for it to engage properly.

I looked in the 83 last night and the unit does appear different to the one in my 81. The biggest difference (other than the design of the CCU face) I found is that the small panel that sits below the CCU doesn't have an "AC" push switch on it. Not sure if it would work in my 81 or not. My current head unit has part # 94.112.41.117 on it.

It does have a bunch of vacuum hoses running to it. I think all of the early cars were vacuum operated. I could be wrong though.
78 928 5 speed - #111
81 928 Auto

Last edited by 1982_928; 08-15-2019 at 03:18 PM..
Old 08-15-2019, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

What year is this car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982_928 View Post
I think I have the magic blower fixed. Messed around with the CCU a bit and after doing that the blower starting working correctly. I can also now hear the relay clicking whereas I couldn't before. GOOD!!!

I still have an issue though. I have voltage but low current to the compressor anytime the ignition is on. It has just enough amperage to make the compressor clutch drag slightly. I have to manually jump 12v to the compressor for it to engage properly.Start at the high pressure switch on the side of the dryer and check your voltage. Disco the connector and check. 12V? If not, move back to the wire connection providing power to the compressor. Disco the connection and check. 12V? If not, move back to the freeze switch. Disco the 2 wires. 12V? If not, move to the wires available on the AC head unit. 12V? Somewhere along the way you should have found 12V and you just need to get that 12V all the way to the end

I looked in the 83 last night and the unit does appear different to the one in my 81. The biggest difference (other than the design of the CCU face) I found is that the small panel that sits below the CCU doesn't have an "AC" push switch on it. Not sure if it would work in my 81 or not. Check the part number on the unit in the car and make sure it's the correct part number for the year model. My thought is that it should have an AC button, but maybe not

It does have a bunch of vacuum hoses running to it. I think all of the early cars were vacuum operated. I could be wrong though.
Yes, the early AC head units use vacuum to work. I just wasn't sure when they changed to electromechanical. So yours is vacuum operated. I can't really help too much with that vacuum head unit as the only one I ever owned worked perfectly and I never needed to mess with it, so I didn't.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
You cant have just one.

Garage
Car is an 81.

I’ll probably be able to figure the vacuum part of it. I’m going to pull the CCU out of my 83 and see how it compares.
78 928 5 speed - #111
81 928 Auto
Old 08-15-2019, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I'm just about 100% sure that the AC head unit from the 83 will not retrofit to the 81. I'm pretty sure the 83 is first generation electromechanical. 84-89 are second generation.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
You cant have just one.

Garage
You are correct - they will definitely not interchange. 83 is electromechanical.
78 928 5 speed - #111
81 928 Auto
Old 08-16-2019, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: