Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

question about MAFs

hey guys,

I installed the new thermo time switch and temp 2 sensor in the car and the car still runs a bit rich, I have a MPG guage in the car and it says it is between 12-15 MPG while in park, I redid all the vac lines with all new lines, I hear air flow in the intake, I removed the air filter and I stick my finger down the square tube and it is about a finger width, is this normal when the car is running or should it be less than that.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:25 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

sorry, I forgot to say it has the Ljettronic system.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:26 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker677 View Post
hey guys,

I installed the new thermo time switch and temp 2 sensor in the car and the car still runs a bit rich, I have a MPG guage in the car and it says it is between 12-15 MPG while in park, I redid all the vac lines with all new lines, I hear air flow in the intake, I removed the air filter and I stick my finger down the square tube and it is about a finger width, is this normal when the car is running or should it be less than that.
Hey Trucker, I'm not familiar with it but remember that if it is the air control for idle that you are looking at, then that sounds like lots and it may be open that much because it senses the rich mixture and is trying to compensate.

Things that can make it run rich will be a dirty element on the MAF sensor or a malfunction with it (no clue about these units) I have seen threads that explain how to set them. I never had that opportunity on GM cars. worse case is the cold start or another injector is leaking. unplug the cold start injector and see if it runs better. I would check for the treads on running rich and fuel injection and see if you find something that helps.
sorry I can't help more.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Trucker, what you have is an air flow meter which in my book does not work the same as a mass air flow sensor But similiar. It meters air flowing past the door
and has no motor moving it open or closed. Hey since the new time temp switch, is the cold start injector working now or do you still have to add fuel?
Old 06-12-2010, 12:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I still have to add fuel to start it but when it is started it was running a bit rich so then I disconnected the cold start injection and it had a bit more pick up, so I think the cold start injector is stuck open. I need to take it for a good highway run to see if it is going to clean it out a bit.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:14 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I tried to start the car with the cold injection plugged in and wouldn't start, poured gas in it and it started, left the cold injection unplugged, it took off like a bat out of hell, squealed the tires, it seemed like when it warmed up it started running more crappy, wouldn't squeal the tires, sputtered, tried to floor it and hesitated and started to backfire and sputter.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: