Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
928 Stereo Install Thread w/Factory Amp

I wanted to start a new thread for 928 owners who wish to update their head units while retaining the factory 928 amp that sits behind it. This may be common sense to most, but I had to pause and ponder when it came to tieing into the fatory amp, which sounds great BTW.

Head Unit - Any standard size head unit will do. I had to remove the rear bracket that supports the factory 928 radio - just two 10mm nuts hold it on. Replace the nuts when done as this also holds the amp bracket on.

Wiring: The factory amp has two sets of speaker level inputs. Left side is red and brown. Right side speakers are red/white and brown/white. Here is a picture of the factory plugs you will cut off.

I wired in the front speaker outputs of the radio to these factory wires. I heat shrunk the unused rear outputs to protect them. It is also advisable to solder all wires as the connections will be permanent and the sound quality the highest.

Power: The constant power is the red wire with the inline factory fuse. Again, you will have to cut off the female factory connector and solder to the radio's harness. Note: Usually the constant power wire on your radio is YELLOW - opposite of what you would think. Check your radio's manual.

Switched Power: On your Porsche the ignition switched power (Red/Black) will go to the radio's RED wire on the harness.

Power Antenna: Porsche WHITE wire. Goes to the radio's blue wire. (again, check the radio's manual)

Ground: Wire the radio's black ground for best results to the oversized brown wire from your 928 that was hooked up to the outer most part of your factory radio.

Enjoy your tunes!
Old 08-31-2011, 05:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
That Head Unit matches up very nice with the HVAC unit. Great install.

Porsche928Forums.com (NOW Mobile Enabled!)
Old 08-31-2011, 05:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
what kind of mounting bracket do i need to mount a stereo in my '82 928S? I can't find anything in the parts manual. i'm installing a donated alpine unit.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:46 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip812 View Post
what kind of mounting bracket do i need to mount a stereo in my '82 928S? I can't find anything in the parts manual. i'm installing a donated alpine unit.
Check with Alpine, you should be able to get the mounting hardware for your radio from them. You might also need a special tool to slide in on the sides to lock/unlock the bracket. Looks like some pin holes on the sides. Maybe give Crutchfield a call if you can't find it locally.
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L
Old 08-31-2011, 10:10 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Should not need any brackets. Worst case scenario is use a strap bracket to support the rear.

As far as a special tool - I slide the factory radio out using three allen wrenches and a nail to simulate the u-shaped secuity keys - took a little wiggling, but I got it!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
my car had no stereo when i bought it. just a big empty space with no obvious evidence of how one is supposed to mount it.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
Quote:
my car had no stereo when i bought it. just a big empty space with no obvious evidence of how one is supposed to mount it.

A new head unit will come with a housing/sleeve that it can slide into, and a mount point on the rear of the unit that can be screwed to a bracket for stability.

There is already a bracket in the center console just for this purpose.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
Quote:
Here is an install in my OB. I probably coulda done the wiring better. It was a mess to start with though.

My Alpine install

Porsche928Forums.com (NOW Mobile Enabled!)
Old 09-01-2011, 04:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Old 09-01-2011, 04:49 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: