Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

928 project value?

I know I know don't do it... But it is a good time to start a winter project 928s are money pits... I know... But this one is literally down the street and has a good body and low miles.

Help me find a value to offer this guy... The dude is in the middle of a divorce, the car is at his brother-in-laws, has sat for 8 years. Currently sitting on a trailer doing nothing. Needless to say a motivated seller.

Here is what I saw today without digging too deep.

White car with burgunday leather interior.
32v engine - 928S (?).
5 Speed
Sunroof
NO rust
No dents
16" Manhole cover / slot wheels look good
39,400 actual mileage.

Bad:
Headlights and front lights have been taken out... Rumored to be in a box somewhere.
Needs a paint freshen up. White paint is cracking and spiderwebby.
Front rubber chin spoiler tore up and needs replaced.
Fuse panel taken apart (boo)
Engine compartment is a little taken apart. Air intake tubes are in the trunk.
Tires toast.
Seat leather is all cracked and nasty.
Stale interior from sitting so long.

Basically a sitter with piss poor "help"/restoration from owner.

Unknown engine and trans.

What may be a good price?

Even fully restored they are a labor of love more than value.

(depending on condition, might be a good LS1 and Vette 6 speed candidate $$$ Ugh)

Thanks in advance!!!

1948 Spartan Mansion 30' travel trailer
Old 02-01-2015, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
From what I've seen on most post, if it's not running $1000.00 sounds good.But your the one looking at it,can you fix what you have seen to save you maga $$$. I paid $3000. for my 1980 and it wasn't running but I got it running for under $1000. now if I would of took it to a shop it would of cost me at least $5000. for what I did. Good luck
Old 02-01-2015, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Easier To Start The Initial Offer Low -

There are lots of years with the 32 valve motor - check the year. On the surface the car sounds like it has a lot of potential - if the mileage is accurate, the 32 valve engine has not had a timing belt failure (over rev'ed/no bent valves, etc), the 5 speed/clutch, drive train etc... is in good shape and there hasn't been any major accidents (poor repair/paint, etc). Try to verify some kind of maintenance history with dates. There is usually a reason of (parts/labor) cost for a 928 to be dead in the water for years, disassembled and the paint is cracking.

Most 928 owners are happy with their purchase but these are usually the ones who have done their homework prior to closing the deal. Although rare, at times you WILL stumble up on a real jewel of a car amongst the goats irrespective of the price. Just remember that what ever you do - it can't be over emphasized how important it is to have an "Experienced 928 Mechanic" look over the car you've selected. There are many such techs/mechanics amongst the 928 owners involved on Porsche web sites who will be very willing to help or provide a reliable reference. If you find that you are seriously interested - I'd start low (maybe $1,000 cash in hand) and go up as your comfort level allows.

One other factor to consider prior to owning a 928 is to realize that there will be a major relationship or trade off between your ability to perform much of your own maintenance, service and/or repair and your pocket book.

Good Luck and Happy Motoring, Michael
1975 911 Targa "Blue"
Old 02-01-2015, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thank you all!

Yes, I am a very hands on maintenance guy I have built engines and maintained VWs to Porsches to American muscle for years. The big killer $ seems to be replacement parts on a 928. Low production car and unobtainium parts.

But we are on the same page, $1000 is what I was thinking. Option to 1500 if he has documents and the front lighting parts... Other than that it is just not worth the effort compared to the clean 944s ans 928s in the area.

I'll see what the owner says tomorrow and at worst get some pics next weekend to share.

Thanks!!!
1948 Spartan Mansion 30' travel trailer
Old 02-01-2015, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Network Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post

39,400 actual mileage.
Lots of hard documentation required before I would believe mileage is remotely correct given the condition.

Start with the vin and run a carfax, then take lots of pictures and post them.

No such thing as a 928 cheap enough to be worth the cost of restoring unless its close to exactly what you want.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Unobtainium -

Hey Pillow, Loved Avatar - Dances With Wolves on Steroids. "Unobtainium Parts" is a good one. There are actually quite a floating number of privately owned parts cars around and there are still lots of 928's in many of the larger city salvage yards. Our sponsor's web site also has a long list of every imaginable new part for all models of Porsche. Personally, I've always been able to round up any used parts I have needed - often times reasonably priced....

Michael
1975 911 Targa "Blue"

Last edited by JK McDonald; 02-02-2015 at 09:22 AM..
Old 02-02-2015, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Sounds like $1000, check out the DMV paperwork to make sure there isn't registration penalties, you can buy it and fix it and then find out it costs $1000 to register or worse yet missing something that prevents it from being registered. I wouldn't put a dime into anything other than getting it running well. Money in paint, seats, missing lights, etc. is a waste of money if it can't be made to start and run and drive. Wish it was near me.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Network Native

Make an offer on the trailer and say you are willing to haul away the junk on it as well. Once the car is gone its not like he will need a trailer.

I could see this car sucking up 10 grand like a shamwow on a soda spill.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Only a millionaire can afford a cheap Porsche.

'82 928,2002 4.3 lexus quad cam VVTI V8,5 spd Auto.(at the front)BorgWarner 3.08/1 LSD-at the back-Weisach retained,Transaxle gone.Borla exhaust,XSchops Cayenne big brakes front ,968 front brakes rear.Mk4Supra m/s & servo. Alloy rad,1380kgs(3036 lbs(53%F/47%R))
Old 02-08-2015, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: