Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Central warning lights unit CWU problem

I have a 928 from 78 that has a faulty central warning lights unit. I temporary borrowed one from another 928 which after the warning lights behaved normally confirming the problem is in the box.

In the box I found one three legged el component cracked which likely is the problem. There are two components that have the same markings, I have pointed them out on attached picture.

When I go to electric component stores, they are not able to find out what component it is, looks like porsche marked the components with their own numbers. Nor do I find any info when I look for the component on internet.

The number on the box is: 928 641 602.01 and I believe same boxes are used year makes 78-83, in europe at least.

Do anyone know what component that is or how to find out? These boxes are getting both rare and expensive to get hold of so it would be nice to get this one back to life

Br, Philip
Old 04-27-2018, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You will probably need the schematic diagram to determine what the component is and it's function. Being a three legged device it might be a transistor. Unfortunately there are thousands of types with various ratings. Just because it is "cracked" may mean something else caused it to fail. Porsche could have put it's own marks on the device making it more difficult to replace unless you can get a cross reference to a part available now. I replaced mine with a used "pull out" and it's still working. You might be able to remove the other part and with a meter determine if it's NPN or PNP at least.
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L
Old 04-28-2018, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Here's a table of transistor values by region of manufacture. You might find them in the European section:

https://www.elexp.com/Images/Reading_Transistor_Markings.pdf

Last edited by Mal81; 04-28-2018 at 07:23 AM..
Old 04-28-2018, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I forgot to mention: My Euro has no central warning ⚠️ light. Instead it has a fasten seat belt indicator in that spot. It looks like it came that way from the factory, but with cars of this age I guess it could have been an owner modification.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Strange, me and my dad now have three euro 928 and they all have the central warning system.

Now I finally had the time to check the numbers on the transistors. But I cannot see the codes to fit the table earlier posted by Mal81.

We have now checked the transistors in two boxes, the ones from the broken box is marked with S 7549 TI945, that taken from a -78 but the box is stamped with -81 so has probably been replaced at some point.

We opened a working box from one of the other 928 from -79 and the transistors found in the same position as the other box is there marked: S7569 TIY812

Any ideas what component these might be and with what we could replace them with?

Thanks for all the help so far!

Br, Philip
Old 05-09-2018, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: