Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Nigel Tufnel Wannabe

Adding a Second Coolant Temp Gauge

I plan on adding a digital coolant temp gauge to my 951 since I don't trust the factory gauge and I want better information. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could install the new sending unit? I plan on keeping the factory gauge operational. Thanks.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I added a 2nd water temp gauge recently. I used the factory coolant bleed screw at the top of the cylinder head as the location. I drilled it the factory bleed screw hole out a bit, tapped it to have the correct threads for the water temp sending unit, and voila!

I have a Lindsay Steam Vent Kit so I don't need to bleed the cooling system, but I'm sure you could bleed it by using the sending unit as the 'bleed screw'. Give it a good bleed and the hook up your sending wire.

My temps are a rock-solid 195 at all times, even in stop and go traffic or out on track. My factory gauge still works well, but I've seen others that are possessed which is why I opted for the back-up.

Good luck!

Ryan
Old 05-11-2014, 11:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Water temp sender

I used one of those in line aluminum temp sender adapters in the hose that runs from the head to the radiator. It is easy to splice in where the hose runs parallel to the radiator. I can't remember the diameter (40MM?) but the adapters are available in 5MM increments. You don't have to give up your bleeder screw but you do add two hose clamps worth of complexity.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbreen View Post
I used one of those in line aluminum temp sender adapters in the hose that runs from the head to the radiator. It is easy to splice in where the hose runs parallel to the radiator. I can't remember the diameter (40MM?) but the adapters are available in 5MM increments. You don't have to give up your bleeder screw but you do add two hose clamps worth of complexity.
I did this to one of my racecars (not a 951), It works great but only registers temp once the thermostat opens up. I also put in a low pressure coolant light by drilling and tapping the same housing..

Old 05-23-2014, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: