Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
front batwing and front splitter questions

My '86 Martini tribute restoration is getting closer but I have a few questions about the batwing and an added front splitter. First, what is the real function of the batwing? Second, will the addition of a front splitter negatively affect the function of the batwing if it is left off? Third, if both are installed, should I expect any issues with engine cooling?

Front splitter on left finished in red.
]

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Last edited by mytrplseven; 02-17-2018 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: change pictures
Old 02-17-2018, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
'86 951 resto continued

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
Any decent splitter will extend underneath the front of the car, similar to or beyond what the batwing does. The idea is to have high pressure above the splitter, where the air isn't moving as fast as the air underneath the splitter. This is what gives you increased downforce/traction.

Regarding engine cooling, I have heard that keeping the batwing and the undertrays helps engine cooling, as it keeps that negative pressure under the engine, helping to draw out hot air behind them. I am pretty sure no one has collected any actual data showing this, however.
1987 944S - Restored salvage title, ready to live again
Old 02-18-2018, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
I have a decent splitter (shown in the top pic) and I guess I'll run it without the batwing for now and see how it works. Still taking care of other items on the checklist before I road the car again. I'll look you up next time I'm in Phoenix. Wife has a daughter there.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
That splitter above doesn't extend underneath the car at all. You aren't getting the full benefit of a splitter with what that is, although it looks cool.
1987 944S - Restored salvage title, ready to live again
Old 02-19-2018, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Interesting.....I guess I'll install it with the batwing then. Or...maybe add on an extended fiberglass section behind it since it isn't real robust to start with. I love doing "glass" work.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: