Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

964 Tail lamp lens replacement

I need to replace the right tail lens on my 1991 Carrera 2. I already have a replacement lens but need to replace the discolored one without destroying the rest of the assembly. It appears to be quite securely bonded. Is there a safe way to remove the old lens?

Old 09-05-2020, 12:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

You will have to replace the whole unit.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

964 tail lamp lens replacement

I got this lens elsewhere but Pelican does sell them as just the lens without the assembly. They say that instructions come with them but I didn't get any. I could try the Dremel but was hoping there was a trick or simpler/safer method such as a heat gun or...
Old 09-05-2020, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Dansk do a lens only kit that also includes the plastic adhesive/glue. Have done this with a friend's tail light - works a treat, very effective.

Parting the old lens from the unit is a case of putting the whole thing in the oven at low temp for a short while and the lens is then easy to gently pull away. All in the Dansk instructions.
968 Sport - M030 suspension with adj Koni Setup
3 x Ford Focus ST170's - Everyday belters
Old 09-08-2020, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
A bunch of people on Rennlist have done this, but it requires patience.
The assembly is heated to 100 deg C for 20 minutes. The lens is then parted from the housing with a sharp utility knife or hobby knife. The new lens is then glued on to the housing. Some people then seal the perimeter with silicone sealant.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/898115-design-911-rear-indicator-lens-replacement-tips.html

Our host sells both lenses and glue.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, H&R Coilovers, ESB spring plates- 210 lb
Old 09-11-2020, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
A bunch of people on Rennlist have done this, but it requires patience.
The assembly is heated to 100 deg C for 20 minutes. The lens is then parted from the housing with a sharp utility knife or hobby knife. The new lens is then glued on to the housing. Some people then seal the perimeter with silicone sealant.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/898115-design-911-rear-indicator-lens-replacement-tips.html

Our host sells both lenses and glue.
That's the one. Worked very well if done carefully and taking your time. Many car washes since and still good. Only precaution we're taking now (for peace of mind) is just run a strip of masking tape across the lens top if snow-foaming/karchering..
Old 09-12-2020, 02:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I am finally ready to do the replacement procedure by heating the unit in an oven to 100C.
Question: do you try to separate the old lens while the unit is still hot or can you let it cool?
Old 10-29-2020, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

IIRC I believe we very carefully parted the contact surfaces pretty much when it came out the oven. Any small 'chips' left behind were gently sanded down flush.

It did help having two pairs of hands to keep the lens straight and in position when joining the glued up surfaces followed by gently taping up with masking tape.

Post up some pics when you can.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hi

Great info, thanks

But what bothers me about the Dansk lens are the color, they tend to favor a pick color
Old 11-06-2020, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Think you meant 'pink'(?) To be honest I can't say I noticed the Dansk lens we worked with as being more pink than the original - mind you after 20 years of sunlight the original looked very tired and pink.

Old 11-07-2020, 03:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
tail light lenses