Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Replace plastic window in '99 Cab?

I have a '99 996 convertible, and the rear plastic window is separating from the canvas top. It is delaminating where the zippered fabric border on the window meets the canvas top, which seems to be a glued seam.

A local shop in northern Delaware said they could remove the top from the car, sew in a new plastic window, and re-install the top for $800 (all labor.) They also suggested a new top from GAHH, installed for about $1500.

I'd rather not spend $1500 on a top I seldom use (I am usually either top-down or have the hard top on.) But $800 seems a lot for a risky repair.

Anyone have any luck with a replaced, sewn-in window? Any other suggestions? Any shop recommendations in the northern Delaware area?
Anyone have a used top in good condition?

Window separating from canvas top:

Close up of delaminating window:

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Same thing happened to my 2002 cab last year.Iwas debating between spending $1500 for new glass window GAHH top or replace the plastic window for $600. At the end I choose to replace the plastic window. It turn out OK not like original though. What you have to ask the shop is how many stitch line do they sew the plastic top to the canvas? If they do two stitch line then ask if they have a dual needle sewing machine or can they guarantee that both stitch lines are in parallel not weaving or run into ech other like mine. It looks ugly when take a close look.

Good luck.

Nghia
Old 07-18-2010, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I had the same options and went with the GAHH route. The cables at the edge of the original top were rusted and one ready to break. The new top looks just like the factory and the window is sewn in versus the factory heat sealed window. I didn't want to spend $800, have a ugly top that still needed to be replaced in 2 years.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hi All!
The plastic window DOES NOT need to be replaced if it is not torn or damaged! When they are factory installed, they are clamped and pressed like a sanwich. Here's the kicker...there are wires in the yellow looking seam that looks like glue that surrounds the plastic window. This is a 12volt wire setup that has to be "plugged in" to activate the heating of the pre-glued seam. It became a common problem that the glue was not set-up prior to the realease of the "press" This is why the window looks like it is delaminating! The wire ends are located on the drivers side of the seam about 2 inches down. Most places will not touch these windows. Now any reputable porsche dealer should have admitted this common flaw to you. To fix this, you should take your car to a good upholstery shop because they have to take the soft top off to fix it right. When the top is off, they can properly align the window to the top and they then can sew a perfect 1 seam stitch right around the window. The seam is usually 1/4 inch into the top from the window edge. This becomes a permanent watertight fix and usually costs anywhere from $500-$800. It is expensive because of taking the top off is a lot of work! Total job time is around 6 hours at a good convertable shop. Your top will then be as good as new and look as good because the 1 seam is black and becomes "part" of the top! Cheers!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Mike - great reply. I am facing the same delamination on my '01. I will follow your sage advice for repair.
Again, Thanks.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Lightbulb Problem finally fixed

Just a follow up to my original post about my Cab top window delaminating. I ended up doing a multi-step glue and sew DIY repair using the existing window.
A full write up (long) can be found here:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/tutorials/article/221-diy-convertible-top-window-repair/
Old 09-01-2010, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbee91 View Post
Just a follow up to my original post about my Cab top window delaminating. I ended up doing a multi-step glue and sew DIY repair using the existing window.
A full write up (long) can be found here:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/tutorials/article/221-diy-convertible-top-window-repair/
You are much braver than I....How much would you charge to come fix mine!?

2001 aprilia RSV Mille, blk/red
2001 Suzuki DRZ-400S, yel/blk
Old 07-01-2012, 02:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilleChick View Post
You are much braver than I....How much would you charge to come fix mine!?
Well, given that you are on the wrong coast, I'm guessing it would be pretty expensive .
Mine looked exactly like your picture before I repaired it. It's been 2+ years, and my repair is holding up well. It's not that hard to do, it just takes some time, and it saves a ton of money! Good luck.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks! I may have found someone to do it. Still nervous, but we'll see.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hey millechick how did your cab top repair go any
pictures?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Actually, it turned out beautifully. I'll post some photos in the next day or two. If I wasn't operating on three hours sleep, after a 26 hour drive, I would be able to remember the shop's name. After I sleep and sober up (after 3 Moscow Mules) I'll put something up. I am more than happy with the stitch work.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Apologize for the delay....

Sorry for the delay in posting photos. My dad's got some very serious health issues going on and I'm his "Medical Administrator and Life Assistant." Then I found I never took any really good "after" photos.

I had the repair done in Westlake/Thousand Oaks by Elite Interiors. They do all the work for the Rusnak Porsche dealership in Westlake. I live about four hours from there. Basically, I took it to the dealership, Elite went there, removed the top, did the work, and replaced the top. I picked it up when it was done. They charged me $800.

Here are some pics. The "before" pics are earlier in the thread, so I won't attach more.

Shelly

PS: So.....I have somehow filed the photos in some location where I can't find them. Once I do, I'll post them up. OR I'll take more. Sheesh! If my brain worked, I'd be dangerous!!

Last edited by MilleChick; 06-24-2014 at 08:59 PM..
Old 06-24-2014, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

OK, so I didn't find the recent ones, but here are a couple I took right after I got it back. Hope it's helpful.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

hey Millechick
can i get the number of the shop you went to? they did a good job on yours!
Thanks in advanced

Old 07-03-2014, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
cabriolet , plastic , window