Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Things to do before installed USED C4 Tip gearbox?

I picked up a used early C4 Tip gearbox and want to make sure its ready to go before installing in into my 996. Here is what I plan to do:

- replace transmission mount
- new filter/seal and fluid (after its installed)

Should I replace the diff seal? Are there any other areas I should look at before reinstalling it? Any tips on the R&R would be helpful from those who have done one before. JFP in PA has been an amazing resource thus far, thank you man!!

Brian
Old 01-17-2018, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

RMS, IMS, AOS at a minimum.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

JFP,

RMS and AOS were done when the IMS was done about a year ago glad that is done! lol Anything else good sir?

Brian
Old 01-17-2018, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Minson View Post
JFP,

RMS and AOS were done when the IMS was done about a year ago glad that is done! lol Anything else good sir?

Brian
That's all I have. good luck!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Change the fluid now. It is a lot easier filling it from the top.
Disposable Car: BMW 530xiT, Audi A3S
Old 01-18-2018, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Minson View Post
JFP,

Brian
Something came to mind: With the new trans out of the car, this is your only time that you can drain both the trans AND the converter of old fluid. By doing this now, you would start with all fresh fluid.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

JFP, what is the best way to do this?

Brian
Old 01-18-2018, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

You will need to remove the converter and turn it snout down into a large bucket, and then leave it there overnight to let the fluid drain out. Then reinstall the converter and put the assembly in the car.

With the trans out, it is the only time you can fully drain the converter, which holds the lion's share of the old fluid.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Then prefill it via the top per yelcab1's suggestion, if I recall that's 9 liters of ATF?

Brian
Old 01-18-2018, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: