Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Front tow hooks on your 911 set up.

I know it's not an exciting topic but I was wondering what set ups you are using to install your front tow hook. I had a steel bar across the two front torsion bars. It has a hook extension to the front bumper. Nice set up but weighed 8lbs. I'm wonder what you are using?
Old 12-04-2017, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'm using a tow hook that comes off the front of where the A-arms bolt in. I don't have any pictures of my own on me currently, but will take some next time I'm with the car.
Dean

Last edited by 1970 911; 12-06-2017 at 03:27 PM..
Old 12-06-2017, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The front bumper mounting flange, left or right side on the 911 G body cars is what I used. Angle iron with a nut welded on that matches the thread on the tow hook., this then allows front bumper removal
Problem is the tow hook guys won't use a common thread size on the tow hook, you gotta buy their nuts.
(S.H. disclaimer for above statement)

869#
AKA "Gemma"
Old 12-07-2017, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

There are quite a few possibilities, depending on your goals and your car.

It would be helpful if you provide some of those details. For example, is the goal to reduce weight? Is the car stock?

My car is pretty modified... it is a '75 chassis with a bunch of custom and aftermarket parts. This includes a large oil cooler (re-purposed intercooler) and a fiberglass front bumper. And some custom-fabbed brake ducts.

And the bumper has to be easily removed to load the car on the trailer.

I decided to get a bit creative and fabbed up a retractable (via light spring) tow hook.

The possibilities are endless, so best to start with some details if you want some suggestions.

Hard to beat a strap if lightest weight is the goal.

IO Port sell a range of straps:

https://www.ioportracing.com/tow-eyes/
Porsche Racing Club #4
BMWCCA
NASA
Old 12-08-2017, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
here is what I fabbed up out of a piece of aluminum. I hit my shin one too many times while walking past the front of the car in the garage. 23 car is now sold, but never forgotten.

78SC PRC Spec911(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 12-20-2017, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well, I'd like to always reduce weight, but this is a for a 1971 911S S/T. So I'd like to make it as simple as possible.
you can see the yellow hook in these pictures. I'm going to do something like this again just with a better fit

Old 12-22-2017, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I use expired seat belt webbing and end attachments on my SC. The first one I ran between the top of the bumper and the right front fender - I forget just what back there I hooked it to.

The next version I ran under the spoiler lip, and then held up with some safety wire. When used by a tow truck the wire breaks, so I have to remember to wire it back up again. I knot it into a loop, but the knot resides close to where it is attached to the car.

Same approach works well in the rear - zero cost tiny bit of weight for the steel part on the car end, and makes some use of the many expired belts I have after 30 or so years, often with two cars, which used to have two seats too.

My first tow eye in front was a piece of aluminum diamond plate I cut a hook hole in, and two 6mm holes, which screwed into threaded holes I drilled upward into the front bumper (I like to keep the stock bumper). It worked well enough for an easy flat tow once. But, like most, I got tired of the barked shins - and for racing you are better off without anything which can poke the car ahead of you if you hit it.

Same with the rear, where the stock tow hook worked fine as a hook, but had these other disadvantages.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
UFLYICU

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ZOA NOM
I welded a loop to my cage that pokes through the hood. Makes access for the tow guy much easier.

Racer Rix Spec911.com #5 PRC Website
2005 Seal Grey 997 Carrera Coupe (Daily Driver)
1988 Venetian Blue Carrera (former Daily Driver)
1987 Venetian Blue Carrera Track Whore "Shellback Racing" (Porsche Racing Club Spec 911)
Old 01-06-2018, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I prefer the solid hooks over the fabric ones, unless you can orient the fabric loop in a way that it doesn't contact the bodywork if pulled sideways. On the black car we put a hook on each side so we can tie the car down without removing the bumper or going through the wheels. On the grey car it's attached through the front bulkhead. Unfortunately I've had to use it a few times on track, it's worked fine.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I like Zoa's approach. Solid hooks extending from bumpers/spoilers are ankle biters (thought maybe the one where the splitter is so large isn't and the splitter gets you). And they can do some damage in a rear end collision which otherwise might have been avoided.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: