Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Cayenne & Macan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

starter does not stay engaged

2008 Cayenne S 160K on it.
Some back ground, first I use to be a mechanic by trade, that was 20 years ago. I was shop foreman at an Isuzu dealer, an ASE master tech, factory trained on many different makes that one at a time left the country, in order. Fiat, Renault, Peugeot, Suzuki and lastly Isuzu. As such my skill set is better then many however I have not done much with "newer" cars. I had our timing chain skip, as such it would not start, go figure. So looking into changing the chain the first step everywhere I looked was pull the engine. Glad I did not pay attention to this. There is no need to pull the engine to pull the heads and timing chain however it was not possible to get the right side heat shield out of the car with the head still on. It is however possible to wedge it up against the fire wall out of the way. Never done a timing chain that you did not line up marks instead use tools to lock down the cams and crank shaft. Any way while I had things apart as this is my wife's car that I do not want her to have issues with it as when she can not drive it she has to drive her vintage Ferrari (life is harsh) So I replaced the starter, alternator, water pump, belts and more. Prior to this I had in the last 10K replaced the vacuum hose's, mechanical fuel pump, both electric fuel pumps, spark plugs and coils. Now what is happening is that when you go to start the engine, it cranks briefly and then stops cranking. I have determined that it has to have the computer some how shutting off the signal to the starter motor as part of figuring this all out I ran a wire straight to the starter that I can use to start the car by connecting it to the battery stud in the engine compartment. It will crank as long as needed. Some times as much as perhaps nearly 2 full revolutions before starting. But the starter does say engaged. If I first clear the fault codes I can do a trip with it with the check engine light off. Next start up it come back on. Codes for cam sensor and other lean conditions that I have been working with for a while now, long before this came up. The only new code is for cam sensor bank 1. I have tried swapping the two cam sensors figuring if it were a problem, then the code would switch to bank 2. I have also replaced the battery, the remotes batteries and the ignition switch. The other issue that came up with this is when idling, it the idle moves up and down constantly and if left running will in time die. It is almost like the two cams are out of sync with each other. I have had it apart twice to confirm that I did nothing wrong. Any idea's
It would be nice if we did not have to open the hood and "hot wire" the starter every time we go to start the car.
Jay

Old 06-23-2020, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I was hesitant to comment on your starting issue, however, I had almost the exact same issue. My 2008 Cayenne S started to have a starting problem late in 2017. I had installed a new AGM battery in 2016. It always started however I had to go through the starting process several times because it would stop cranking. I lived with it for quit a while and in December 2019 it all went dead. I called AAA and the first thing he did was to jump start it. I took it to an independent Porsche place and was told that the battery checked out good and I needed a new starter. It sure looked like a battery issue to me. I had done some research and discovered that AGM batteries had to be checked with an AGM tester. The garage had used a conventional battery tester and AGM batteries will check out good on those. I then discovered that AGM batteries require a slower charge at less power. In 2008 the Porsche did not have the software to detect AGM batteries and adjust the charge accordingly, meaning that it had been overcharged for three years. I told the garage we should start by installing a correct battery. If I still had starting problems then we would go to the starter. Its been six months now and it starts perfectly. Even if you have a correct battery it could still be a bad battery. The electrics in the Cayenne manifest themselves in some pretty weird ways. This may be a long shot in your case, however, you never know.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thank you for the input. It is not a battery or starter issue, both new as is the ignition switch. It will crank just fine if I over ride the normal starter circuit with a jumper wire to the starter. Cranks good and fast. What is happening is some how I suspect the computer is shutting down the cranking circuit. I have been driving it for a while this way. I could live with it and just install a starter switch but I would really like to fix it right.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: