Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Cayenne & Macan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

2008 Cayenne V6 - headlight

I have a V6 Cayenne with almost 70k miles.
The radio started acting up a few months ago. It would go off and back on. It would come back on, but with the display in german. Finally it quit altogether.
The clock would not keep time, after a reset it would be off by hours, after a short time.
Then on a rainy day I noticed the wipers varying speed on their own.

The passenger side headlight started getting water intrusion.

I looked for information here, on how to reseal the assembly, unsuccessfully.
Then I found a post on Rennlist about resealing the headlight.
One of the posts claimed the following:
1. The edges under a rubber gasket should be resealed with glass sealer.
2. When water gets in, it damages a control module that is connected to a CAN BUS and can create issues with the radio and wipers.

I followed their advice and resealed the headlight. In the process of opening the back panels/ports on the assembly to drain the water out, I found that there are four wires that extend from the assembly plug to the two bulbs.

I found the wire insulation sleeves brittle and cracking. I applied electrical tape to each wire. Most of the wire lengths are in the same poor condition.
I also found a round plug and dessicant material at the bottom of the assembly.

Questions:
1. Is the wiring harness internal to the assembly, available for replacement? A new headlight is about $1000.
2. I read that the headlight assemblies, when replaced, have to be re-programmed by the dealer ($$). Is that true for a 2008?
3. Does a 2008 have a CAN BUS? or is that for newer models?

I noticed that after putting electrical tape on the wires. the clock appears to work ok.
The radio tried to come on but it only blinks, displays the Porsche logo and shuts off.
The wipers appear to work normal now.
Water is still getting in somehow, in very small amounts, I see a mist on the inside not a puddle anymore.

Please help. Thank you. RG

Old 08-12-2020, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
It happened to my 06 Cayenne S as well, the heat eventually makes the insulation brittle over time, I ended up needed the headlight harness as well on both sides. To protect my new harness I wrapped it with electrical tape and automotive grade cloth tape. Works fine.
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera, Black
2006 Porsche Cayenne S, Black
Old 08-13-2020, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Update - It has been a couple of weeks since sealing the passenger side headlight.
Water appears not to enter anymore. However the radio comes on and off when it wants to. So I am not sure the water intrusion was the reason for the other conditions.
Sometimes I am able to select the radio station and assign a memory to it.Once the radio goes off again, the settings are lost. The radio may work for 30 minutes or 30 seconds.

The wipers when set to the first stop on the switch, the one with an adjuster for frequency, will work normal for a minute or so and then work faster on their own.
The clock jumped 3 hours ahead several hours after being reset. It will do the same if I reset it.

I will check the driver's side headlight next (internal wiring) but I don't have any hopes of figuring out what is causing these conditions.
It is very disappointing that Porsche would use such poor quality wiring in the headlights. Possibly in other parts of the truck as well.

RG
Old 09-01-2020, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Same thing happens to the wiring in the headlamps of Mercedes.

I've heard that when replacing a Cayenne headlamp (at least the control module) you have to replace both sides because they are revised. I don't know for a fact because I did the same as you.
www.instagram.com/patrickossenkop
www.instagram.com/drive_oz
Old 09-02-2020, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Could be a coincidence that the radio stopped working. My 04 radio was doing the same thing I replaced it with a used unit I got on line and that worked fine. The only issue was the replacement radio was from a newer year and the navigation no longer worked but everything else worked fine
Old 09-02-2020, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
You may want to check for water intrusion under the driver side front carpet. All sorts of magical things happen if water gets in there and starts corroding connections. Lots written on the on Rennlist. Also a YouTube video or two on how-to. How old is the battery? If it is getting old weird things start to happen.

I have an 08 CS.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
as for the clock - check your time zone and GPS setting - mine kept going to central zone until i reset it and clicked the GPS on and off....???
Old 09-09-2020, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Gentlemen.
Thank you for replies.
Mr.Merk: I read in some forums that if I change the headlight I would have to have them re-programmed. I would rather replace the harness internal to the headlight. I checked the other headlight a couple of days ago (driver's) it is dry and only had one tiny crack on the wires. I patched it with friction tape.

Mike80911: I thought about looking for a used radio online. They are expensive and I wasn't sure they would connect to my Cayenne. Like you, I am not concerned about the GPS.

RSBob: I will check under the carpet. I was not aware of water under the carpet. Will report back.

Honerboys: I tried resetting the clock several times. I don't recall seeing a time zone and GPS setting. I will check again.

I have a hard time understanding how such an expensive vehicle could have cheap wiring.
Thank you all.
RG

Old 09-17-2020, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: