Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

86 carrera LS1 swap

Hi all, hoping for some advice on suspension here. Iím nearing completion an LS1 swap in my carrera using a 930 LSD trans. The car itself has seen a lot of weight reduction and as such it now sits 2.5 inches higher than it did in stock engine/interior/creature comfort configuration set at euro height.

Iím really trying to avoid going to full coilover (despite them being easier to set up) and was just hoping to hear from people who are on t-bars still and what sizes they used. I know the car will squat under hard acceleration. A lot. Hoping to remedy that. Itís mainly street driven, however I enjoy a firm ride. I was thinking 22/31 or 22/32. It will be on 17X8/9 Fikse when it hits the road. Opinions? Thanks in advance!

Couple pics

And a before to show the previous height on the same indexing:

Old 02-17-2020, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Awesome! 31 or 32 should be fine but don't forget a skid plate. I'm doing an 86 also but will be doing coilovers. I will weld the the limited support at the top of the shock towers but will not do a roll cage. Hopefully, that will be enough. I have an 89 with an ls1 and either used 31 or 32's with the skid plate after loosing an oil pan on the squat. Good luck!
Old 02-17-2020, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yan2947 View Post
Awesome! 31 or 32 should be fine but don't forget a skid plate. I'm doing an 86 also but will be doing coilovers. I will weld the the limited support at the top of the shock towers but will not do a roll cage. Hopefully, that will be enough. I have an 89 with an ls1 and either used 31 or 32's with the skid plate after loosing an oil pan on the squat. Good luck!
Awesome thank you, which oil pan were you using? I have the corvette batwing and the trans actually sits lower than the pan! This picture of course is with the car sitting higher than I want, I will reset to euro height(ish) so I’ll lose about 2”. But this is to show the trans sitting lower than the pan

Old 02-18-2020, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Vacantsky
I used 30/31 TB's on my 77 cause that's what 77 TURBO used. I actually jumped a speed bump car squatted perfectly no 2x bounce. Car felt like a rally car ! It was quite awesome. I have a bat wing oil pan and Bilsteins sports.
Hey Yan, always been very helpful on here, cheers brother.

Last edited by 911JeffS; 02-18-2020 at 01:12 PM..
Old 02-18-2020, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I also have the batwing. Always tinkering and trying new things. Squat is important with the amount of torque we put out so keep it in check. You can mount a camera on your dash when you do a 0 to 60 in sub 4 seconds. Do you squat or is the horizon level. Be cautious on speed bumps. Even if your tranny is a little lower the drop from the speed bump might hit your oil pan. Fabricating a skid plate may save a little future work...

Cheers Jeff! Everyone has been so helpful over the years. Been a great learning experience. I was re-doing an 80 sc 383 but now I am doing an 86 911 with the same 383. I just got an 86 930 tranny and putting in a guard lsd. Its been shortened at CMS and getting some re-fresh locally. Not sure if I am going to mate it with the 383 or get an ls7 or lsx. Once it is put together it will first run with the 383 and 915 that came with the 80 because it is already sorted out. I will be doing either the toy-jet because Clemmon at toyjet is awesome and his stuff just works or come up with something in the rear to cool with. Still doing body work so all is slow...
Old 02-18-2020, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys! I managed to grab some 31ís for the rear, I think Iíll get some 22ís for the front. And Yan youíre right, definitely wouldnít hurt to have a skid plate. Should be simple enough to fabricate under the batwing.

Iím pretty cautious with bumps and lowered cars. This was my most recent project that I ended up giving up to chase the 911 dream, she would high center on the large speed bumps out in New Mexico before I moved to Florida.

Kenny
Old 02-19-2020, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I don’t think I’ll use this page as a build thread per se, as I document most of my build on Instagram under @86outlaw. But I’ll share what I did with particular things on my swap to help others make decisions. I opted not to go with the complete renegade kit as I didn’t like what I saw of their water pump adaptor and hoses, so I ordered just the cradle from them. I have the toyjet billet adaptor for the water pump, and will likely use the water pump from Jegs that he recommends. I purchased the bellhousing adaptor and clutch directly from Kennedy and it came with all the hardware you need to mount the engine and trans together. I had read some misinformation that all you get is the aluminum adaptor, that’s not true! I managed to save some money (not much) by shopping around on the parts vs buying a kit, but I think I was mostly satisfied because I got to pick and choose which parts I wanted to use.

To me a “good swap” is one where the original dash is operational if it’s not replaced, no dead gauges. So to get the stock gauges to work I drilled and tapped the water pump adaptor for the stock Porsche temp sensor. And I drilled and tapped an oil blanking plate for the LS also to fit stock Porsche sensors to get the pressure gauge and idiot lights going. I know the temp won’t be as accurate in that location vs the cylinder head, but these gauges are just quick reference to get a general idea of the engines operating parameters anyway, what I have for engine management will tell me everything I need to know.. the only gauge that is dead is the oil level. But I will pull this out and place the guts of a VDO volt meter in there.

For the engine management I guess I lucked out because in early 2019, before I even fathomed my swap, Holley released the terminator X for $995. It is a self learning fully user programmable ECU and harness that is plug and play with all the stock LS sensors except for one or two. It comes with a hand held touch screen so you can adjust your tune on the fly and set AFR targets. For the price it’s an amazing product and I’m excited to use it. I had to modify the harness a little to work with a rear engine, flipped intake but it was pretty straight forward. It’s a simple 7 wire hookup (3 of which go to the battery, and one is a chassis ground), and comes with the option of controlling radiator fans and a few other outputs with a provided plug in harness. Just an awesome piece of tech for the price. You won’t always have to go to a tuner when upgrading parts! I mounted the ECU under the seat like stock. (I’m leaving the harness exposed because I have zero sound deadening under my carpet set and it would bulge the carpet). The handheld touchscreen comes with a mount so you can dash mount it if you please, and you can pull up any of the engines parameters that the ECU is reading directly from the stock GM sensors. Again, great investment!

For the headers I wanted to use something OEM and I managed to figure out that C6 corvette LS3 manifolds work with the renegade cradle. Which is nice because it gives me the option to use OEM components, and perhaps down the road go aftermarket designed for OEM fitment and it still work with the exhaust I’ll have fabricated.

Haven’t put together an intake yet but I think I’m onto something that might work in the tight space without having to use the cast elbow, it’s more budget friendly and will look better (my opinion). I’ll update next week when brown Santa delivers it..

For the radiator and cooling system the goal is to retain functional use of the car. I don’t want to lose the frunk to a rad, and I don’t want it in the wing. So I think I have a good solution using an RSR oil cooler duct in the front tub along with the space I have behind my RUF valance. Will update when I get to it!
Old 02-21-2020, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
So where are you placing the radiator...
Old 02-21-2020, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
So where are you placing the radiator...
I have a RUF valance, so I can fit a sufficient size radiator for the LS behind the bumper and valance (Iíve trimmed the bottom lip of the bumper blade off) so I just need to put an RSR oil cooler duct in the tub so air can flow efficiently through the radiator and out the back, not just straight into the tub as it sits currently creating turbulence. Iíve found a triple core double pass that will work. Made a template out of cardboard and it fits well
Old 02-21-2020, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Nice job Vacant, looking good, the upgrades you mention look well worth it. cant wait for spring. cheers.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Kenny, any updates? Hope all are healthy!
Old 03-27-2020, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Kenny, any updates? Hope all are healthy!
No updates yet, the wife and I went to Disney the week after my last post, and then all this craziness broke out! Iím active duty Air Force ďessential personnelĒ and sheís a nurse so we are both pretty busy. That plus a 15 month old equates to not much garage time lately but Iím not giving up on the project donít worry about that! Weíre doing a divided work plan soon so Iíll have some time off to catch up and hopefully get some updates. We are well thank you, and I hope you are too!

I actually got something in the mail today that I got myself into with the whole ďwhile youíre in thereĒ disease that I have lol. Itís an E39 BMW trunk fuse/relay block. Iím doing a battery relocation to the smugglers box and wanted to update and move the fuses with it. This 20 fuse panel with up to 7 relay slots delivered to my door for (I love eBay) $15 looks like it will do the trick. I just need to buy some more terminals to fill it out. The beauty of it is you can order the terminals ganged together or individual so it will be a fairly simple mod without having to have a bunch of jumper wires like I see on other solutions thatís arenít $300+

Old 03-27-2020, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Couple more shots showing the relay slots and the ganged connections. It should fit nicely along the back edge of the smugglers box with some minor mods to the plastic housing
Old 03-27-2020, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Keep up the great work and thank you for your service! What is nice about these projects is that they don't go bad as time passes when all this Corona stuff passes we can pick up where we left off.

Yan
Old 03-28-2020, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I have a RUF valance, so I can fit a sufficient size radiator for the LS behind the bumper and valance (Iíve trimmed the bottom lip of the bumper blade off) so I just need to put an RSR oil cooler duct in the tub so air can flow efficiently through the radiator and out the back, not just straight into the tub as it sits currently creating turbulence. Iíve found a triple core double pass that will work. Made a template out of cardboard and it fits well
what radiator?

I have already cut the tub for the RSR deflector before I decided to go with an LS swap rather than the cost / time to have my 3.3 motor fully rebuilt.

I am thinking an LS3. still trying to find some thread with LS7 and dry sump builds.

either way I am planning for a 3 radiator in front. plan to use a 934 front valance and cut the bottom of my bumper blade too.

86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911tracker85 View Post
what radiator?

I have already cut the tub for the RSR deflector before I decided to go with an LS swap rather than the cost / time to have my 3.3 motor fully rebuilt.

I am thinking an LS3. still trying to find some thread with LS7 and dry sump builds.

either way I am planning for a 3 radiator in front. plan to use a 934 front valance and cut the bottom of my bumper blade too.
If you’re planning on a triple radiator up front this one might not work out so well, being a dual pass the inlet and outlet are both on the same side. It would work great with a single fender rad setup which I think would be sufficient for LS3/LS7 with another high quality radiator.

After seeing that nice shot of the RSR duct you provided it might not work with my rad.. I didn’t realize how low the top of the duct was. It definitely needs to be taller (which I’m ok with, I planned on losing the whole area between the gas tank and the front of the tub anyway). Look at the “tucked” radiators for the Nissan 240SX and Honda Civics/Integras. Very compact And built for large horsepower.

I was wrong on it being 3 core, it’s a double core but they are 1-1/4” tubes so it’s a 2.5” thick core 9” tall and 20” wide (24” overall, a tad longer with the removable mounting tabs). I have one for a civic sitting in the garage (from private label mfg) and it looks small but the overall cooling capacity/dimensions calculate to be a little more than the OEM C5 corvette radiator. It should be fine for my application as it’s a street cruiser and I plan to keep the engine as stock as possible. Also I’m “adding” as much lightness to the car as I can where I feel comfortable which also helps. But I will add a fender mount radiator if I do need more capacity or decide to increase power. it has a dual fan shroud built into it too and with a pair of spal 7.5” fans it sits at 5.5” thick/deep total. The extra nice touch on it is it has the option of being a regular hose hookup, or an AN fitting for the inlet’s and outlets

Some bad mock up pictures, but you get the idea. I think with the larger front duct I’ll be able to have the rad recess into the tub a little which will give it some minor bump protection from the bumper. I’m going to cut the tub soon.. makes me nervous..!!

Quote:
Keep up the great work and thank you for your service! What is nice about these projects is that they don't go bad as time passes when all this Corona stuff passes we can pick up where we left off.

Yan
Thanks I appreciate it! I managed to get some time to tinker with the fuse panel yesterday and it will work a treat. I have it mounted in the smugglers box with some of the self drilling/tapping screws Porsche used in the interior. I need to get some more of them, they are great!
Here it is trimmed down and then installed, I’m still finishing up the harness so excuse the wire mess!

Last edited by VacantSky; 03-29-2020 at 07:10 PM..
Old 03-29-2020, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Here’s another shot of the inlet outlet options (10 pic limit per post)

Forgot to say that when it’s all mounted up I will shroud/seal the opening in the RUF valance to feed the rad only to ensure good airflow over it

Last edited by VacantSky; 03-29-2020 at 06:12 PM..
Old 03-29-2020, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I managed to get some time on the car yesterday and today. So my intake solution is in/on and I’m satisfied with it and the clearance provided so I’ll spill the details..

The shock tower crossmember had to be massaged with my good friend Mr. Maul Hammer to make the throttle body fit so I wasn’t afraid to do a little more massaging to have an intake fit. Some people don’t have this clearance issue so if massaging this area is not for you for “reversible reasons” then this intake solution might not work for you, I can’t say. I really didn’t want to shell out $300+ for the 180* intake elbows sold by renegade and toy-jet because 1: price, and 2: I didn’t like the look (I know, I know.. function>form.. but my wallet also functions better when it’s form is larger ). So I wasted $12 on an eBay 90* silicone coupler. I cut it down as much as I could but found that it still interferes at the rear firewall. I was defeated and expecting to shell out the money, but was going to wait until I progressed further with the swap. Well fast forward to doing some LS6 valley cover/PCV research I stumbled on a picture of an odd looking silicone coupler for tight fitment. Did some research and managed to find a company in the US that sells them in 3.5”. It’s called a cobra neck coupler for pretty apparent reasons:

I got it from treadstone performance, they’re based in Florida. I still had to cut it down due to the firewall clearance but with a little extra clearance of the shock tower crossmember for the “cobra neck” it fits very well. I hammered the seam flat and basically made a bowl out of the top sheet metal. The fancy coupler along with a 90* aluminum pipe and a 3.5” K&N cone filter brought me into a complete intake for right around $100!

I’ll remove it all again and strip/clean/repaint that area for corrosion protection..!

Last edited by VacantSky; 04-09-2020 at 06:36 AM..
Old 04-05-2020, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I’m all about using what’s in hand before I resort to buying stuff. The LS6 valley cover is a better breathing option for the crank case and lessens the LS oil consumption. Problem is the early 98-01 LS1 steam vent tubes create a clearance issue with the intake manifold due to the valley cover being raised slightly in areas. There are solutions to this but I figured I could try what I have before I buy. I bolted the vent tubes down and used a small pry bar to reshape them to fit the valley cover, and I dremeled some webbing off the bottom of the intake to clear the tube that crosses over. Pretty simple and works great!

Last edited by VacantSky; 04-09-2020 at 06:37 AM..
Old 04-05-2020, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Would definitely like to contact you on your build

The Pandemic has allowed me time to clear out my garage and evaluate my many projects (e30 turbo, Heally Sprite etc). I feel inspired to move forward on my 911 conversion that has been sitting for 14 years due starting a business, having kids etc. My son is now big enough to assist me so I am getting that itch again. Back then, I bought an 6.0L Ls1 crate motor on craigslist for $500 from a gentlemen clearing out his warehouse. I am in the process of making sure it has not seized up. I like the fact that you are taking your time, picking and choosing your purchases (not buying the full kits from Renegade or Toy Jet), and fabricating your own pieces when necessary. I myself don't have funds to just spend, especially with two kids getting close to going to college. Would be great to be able to discuss with you your process, ex I did not know that you could get only the cradle from Renegade without having to buy the whole kit, and I especially want to understand your radiator setup because i do not want to cut up the front of the car/gas tank. Looking forward to discussing your project.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: