Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine Conversion - Tachometer Issues

On the subject of engine conversions.... one of the problems that often comes up after the swap is getting the tachometer to indicate properly. Reasons include different number of engine cylinders, or new ignition signals that are incompatible with the original tachometer design. I had this problem when swapping a 911 engine into my '66 912. Here is a link to a post where I discuss the development of my tachometer adapter that enabled me to use my original tach and have it indicate correctly with the new engine:

Tachometer Adapter

Feel free to contact me for more details.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
If you haven't dealt with Bob before he is great to work with. Highly recommended.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I agree. Excellent communication and very quick shipping.

I recently purchased the Tach-adapt device for my conversion:

Car: '74 911
New Motor: 5.7L GM small block
Problem: Tachometer was reading significantly higher than it should, as Bob put, 1.33 times what it should be. The needle also bounced erratically as it was unable to handle the HEI signal.
Resolution: Installed the Tach-Adapt device in about 5 minutes, tach reads right on now and the erratic bounce has gone away.

Thanks Bob. - John
Old 11-21-2011, 09:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Check out the latest issue of 9-Magazine (March/April 2012) to see a feature article on my Tachometer Adapter project. To view the magazine article and to see more info, go to my new website Home Page
Old 03-23-2012, 09:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
im running a vr6 vw motor do you have a setup for that? i have not yet hooked anything up but i would assume that will be an issue
Old 11-22-2012, 06:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hi, just saw your comments. VW VR6... that sounds like a fun adventure. I'm not familiar with that motor... what type of ignition system does it run? Does it have a Motronics box controlling injection, spark, etc.?

Also important, you didn't mention what car you are putting this VR6 engine into. What year and model (911, 912, etc.)?

Generally, my solution fixes about 90% of the problems that occur, so keep talking and we'll work this thing out.

You can also see info on my website Home

Thanks much ... Bob
Old 11-22-2012, 07:28 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

By the way, just wanted all members to know that since my last post on this thread back in 2012, PELICAN has picked up the TACH-ADAPT product. You can find it under PEL-TA-V3. Hundreds of units are now in service. Thanks to PELICAN PARTS and all my happy customers
Old 08-25-2014, 11:30 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Air Cooled-6

Garage
Excellent Product!

Superb workmanship & greatly simplified schematic made it easy for me to diagnose the problem after prior owner swapped in a 3.0 to replace the 2.7 in my 74 911. It turned out that I didn't need to leave the unit mounted -- the instructions, schematic, and LED allowed me to diagnose the problem which I was just too scared of "jumping" connections without the tach adapt, for fear of frying my tach. I just wish I had this when I converted 2 914-4's to 914-6's (years ago). Back then I made do with a crude arrangement of resistors after trial & error -- funny thing about that setup was that the tach would start at 0 RPM again and count up again whenever I reached red-line.

Last edited by GDuchanin; 09-30-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Old 09-30-2014, 03:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Old 09-30-2014, 03:14 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: