Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1971 911T Small Block rescue

Hi all,
I'm new to the Porsche world and just picked up a small block Chevy swapped 911T from a local auction here in Toronto, Canada.

It's obvious to me the car has been sitting for some time (not outside) and in it's current state it's what I would consider undriveable, even though everything is working.

My current goal is to get it running properly and getting it driving properly, it's terrible right now. I only took it around the block and was afraid to take it any further.

This is what I know so far:

Edelbrock 45720 crate motor
Edelbrock ProFlo / Weber fuel injection system
Stock 901 5 speed
Ruf bumpers and mirrors

Not sure where the swap kit came from, I'm pretty certain it's not Renegade, it's using a motor plate of some sort and the front cooling is not what I have seen the renegade conversion use.
looking from the top down to show the motor plate:

Cooling from the top:

This photo is with the top cover lifted up and you can see the rad housing, fans and where the front tub was cut out for airflow.

I plan to document everything I find and fix om my 911T on this forum so this could turn into a long thread.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hello and welcome to the forum! I imagine that some of our members may have experience with these kinds of swaps. Is the plan to keep it the way it is and get it running properly or are you looking to eventually put a 911 motor back inside?
Old 06-18-2018, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Dimitry.
I'm going to leave the Chevy in it for now. That engine is dyno'd at over 400HP. Not sure I'm going to ever put a mezger back in it, that is unless I can find a wrecked car for a decent price. If anything I was thinking of swapping in a complete 996 engine and trans. I'm a big fan of restomods.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thatís a pretty scary cooling setup, as a lot of structural material was cut out for the fan exhausts. That combined with the extra load and torque of a Chevy engine is not good. Iíd seriously reevaluate the front tub, and try to replace the material that was cut out.

Second, the 901 trans is not going to last long with the kind of torque the Chevy puts out. Itís going to take some work, but a Subaru 5 speed might be your cheapest route to a transmission that can survive that kind of torque. A 930 4 speed would be the best choice, but theyíre insanely expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-10-2018, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Somogyi View Post
Thatís a pretty scary cooling setup, as a lot of structural material was cut out for the fan exhausts. That combined with the extra load and torque of a Chevy engine is not good. Iíd seriously reevaluate the front tub, and try to replace the material that was cut out.
It looks like only the battery boxes were removed that these earlier cars had. The image below is essentially how it looks without the battery box, this is a repair panel from restoration design (they are about an hour drive from me)

I don't believe it affected the integrity that much, but I have many other issues to deal with that are bigger. on this car.
I'm in process of setting up my garage to work on the car so no progress has been made unfortunately since I acquired the car and to top it off, I bought another parts car (1985 Targa with a 3.2 that was in a fire) I'll be parting much of it out as I certainly don't need everything on it. The Garage build requires a thread of it's own.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: