Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Pricing help on a 69 911

Some of you may remember from a few years ago, I was pretty active on the forum and had a small shop in Denver where I worked on air cooled 911's.

I had to close my shop due to some health issues. I still have two cars that are mine that I am not going to be able to finish. I have been out of the game for so long I am not sure what a fair price is, so I am hoping for some help on the value.

I do not want to but I am going to sell them so my kids do not have to clean up after me . I am never going to get my health back to where I can complete the cars.

That being said I do not have to sell them, so do not low ball and insult me.

The first car I am going to sell first is a 69 911T.

It is a car that was stripped to bare metal and all rust fixed with restoration design parts. Floors, seat pans, front suspension pan.

I replaced all of suspension bushing with elephant racing rubber bushing, it has tarrett sway bars front and rear, bilstens, sway away drilled torsion bars, front tower brace.

PMB restored the brake calipers, all new brake lines, master cyl, rotors, rear wheel bearings replaced. It has new tires on fake fuchs wheels.

New app biz rs carpet kit and door cards, new scat seats and mounts, momo wheel, new headliner, dash pad is redone.

I have a 76 2.7 engine core that I was going to put in the car with a megasquirt setup for FI, there is also a core 915 trans for it as well. I can sell the car with or without the motor and trans.

Paint is really nice and was pricey, has GT racing front and rear RS bumpers with RS tail lights

I am sure there are other things I cannot remember.

It will need motor and trans rebuilt and installed, some wiring work and just odds and ends.

Please send responses back in PM since I do not got on the forum often

Thank you for helping me with this

ThomO

99 Triumph 995i track bike
www.porscheresto.com
Old 02-06-2019, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Been here a while

Seems like you’d be leaving a lot of cash on the table if you don’t get it running. I’m guessing, you could get 60k or more for it as an unfinished running, driving car,.....as it sits, you’d be lucky to find a buyer at 30k.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucille View Post
Seems like you’d be leaving a lot of cash on the table if you don’t get it running. I’m guessing, you could get 60k or more for it as an unfinished running, driving car,.....as it sits, you’d be lucky to find a buyer at 30k.
You will, but then you're throwing away the precious time in your life you're never, ever going to get back putting together a non-matching numbers T with rust repair and a repaint and a 2.7 - so I say sell immediately as-is and get out of it and move on to another dream. Open that door and you never know what comes through.

What I probably do agree on is the price price I would take is what Blucille put out there - $30K (at the lowest) but I believe it worth more. The paint alone was I am sure a ton. Not to mention the rust repairs. But this car is still a long way from becoming a driving car - as you are probably well aware because you owned a shop and know how much time it takes to do something right the first time.

I'd put it out there at $45K and see what happens. You never know. You can and will always come down - start high. The hard work is done. Hotrods are going for a ton now.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I would love to finish it but I am unable to due to health

Thanks for the replys
www.porscheresto.com
Old 02-07-2019, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Love the color!!!
1966 Bug stock-2004 Toyota Rav4-1989 XJ6 Jag
1975 914, 1965 Norton N15CS 750, 1975 Husqvarna 360 CR GP
Old 02-07-2019, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

There is a comparable car on eBay - and when I mean comparable, it's a 911 from the 1960s in about the same condition - but the paint is not nearly as nice as yours. It's a 1966 - but the guy did put a lot of work into it underneath and it looks clean. It comes with a core engine as well.

Many would say the '66 is a more valuable car - which I believe it is. But it's non-matching as well. The seller states it would be good as a hot rod. Yours is well on its way to being a hot rod - and your paint is beautiful.

The seller wants $34,900. He doesn't seem to be getting it. It needs all the wiring.

I would say that if you really wanted it gone, $35K would not be out of line. Again, I believe you could get more with better photographs. Photos of the nice paint would go a long way.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Techweenie or MM. Help a brother out?
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 02-07-2019, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucille View Post
Seems like youd be leaving a lot of cash on the table if you dont get it running. Im guessing, you could get 60k or more for it as an unfinished running, driving car,.....as it sits, youd be lucky to find a buyer at 30k.
#Truth. To much for the Euro crowd that knowingly buys rusted turds from the likes of Unobtainum / BHCC. Bluecielles number is right for a home builder looking at a significant amount of hours & expense.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msort81 View Post
#Truth. To much for the Euro crowd that knowingly buys rusted turds from the likes of Unobtainum / BHCC. Bluecielles number is right for a home builder looking at a significant amount of hours & expense.
Take the European's out of the equation, their buying has dropped off, a lot. That's why everyone has inventory sitting right now. 911/912's are especially down, 356's are still holding steady, we have been working on 356's. Give the market what it wants.

My advice to the original poster, if you don't have to sell right now, then don't. Hold to at least Spring. Nobody wants to sell in a down market.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 02-07-2019, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

OP seems strange to say of a Slate car but it's a tough sell. Yes it looks like solid prep and finishing has been done very nicely saving a potential builder major work. But as I'm sure you and anyone who has built a hotrod knows it's a long road to get this car to where it should be.
Sometimes we hold onto passion goals even after we feel we've made peace with ourselves about stepping away.
Often because we know the real financial commitment involved & because as builders we see the potential. Truly I wouldn't sit around waiting for Spring. Bombastic govt voices aside the indicators for a sizable economic downtown are clearly visible. I'd take away a backward looking stressor and give yourself the freedom to focus on future goals in a new stage of your life.

Bluecielle called it right. Very high 20's to 33k gets it gone.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Rusted and primer turds are high $20's. I can't believe this car wouldn't get a $10k bump for no rust and new paint. Plus restored calipers and rebuilt suspension. That should be a $2k bump.
IMO a fair price for seller and buyer is somewhere near $40k.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
Rusted and primer turds are high $20's. I can't believe this car wouldn't get a $10k bump for no rust and new paint. Plus restored calipers and rebuilt suspension. That should be a $2k bump.
IMO a fair price for seller and buyer is somewhere near $40k.
That's out dated pricing. The new normal for 911 projects is high teens to low 20s, I sold a bunch last year and watched even more get sold, so it is the new normal.

For example, sold this one last Spring, matching numbers Albert Blue 911T, sold for $22,000, all the money to a European buyer.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 02-08-2019, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Yeah Adam, but the OPs car does not have any rust or primer on it.

Looks like most of the heavy listing is done on the OPs car.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Yeah, Adam, but the OPs car does not have any rust or primer on it.

Looks like most of the heavy listing is done with the OPs car.
I agree, his car looks very nice, my contention was with the quote about rusty and primer turds bringing high 20's, which is no longer true.

I also stand by my original statement that if you don't need to sell right now, don't.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 02-08-2019, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
I agree, his car looks very nice, my contention was with the quote about rusty and primer turds bringing high 20's, which is no longer true.

I also stand by my original statement that if you don't need to sell right now, don't.

---Adam
Yeah I agree with you there about the values. I can't imagine all the people with that "dream project" they bought five-six years ago for huge $$$ with no floors or running engine, no rockers and no interior wading through all this. Hundreds if not thousands of people have to be saying to themselves that they should have waited - even if all they did was write checks for tens of thousands.

I think he should sell and move on. It's easier to sell and get money, then return to it later if the passion sparks. It may or may not. With all of us living on a limited timeline, something new will come through the door and mentally it's very refreshing to let things go.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Yeah I agree with you there about the values. I can't imagine all the people with that "dream project" they bought five-six years ago for huge $$$ with no floors or running engine, no rockers and no interior wading through all this. Hundreds if not thousands of people have to be saying to themselves that they should have waited - even if all they did was write checks for tens of thousands.

I think he should sell and move on. It's easier to sell and get money, then return to it later if the passion sparks. It may or may not. With all of us living on a limited timeline, something new will come through the door and mentally it's very refreshing to let things go.

You don't always have the advantage or patience to wait for the market to cool. When I wanted to start my latest project 5 years ago I needed a 914-6 Conversion. Unluckily for me they had all shot up to around $50,000, with people asking $25,000-30,000 for unfinished projects. I searched and search and finally found an old IMSA car for $15,000, it worked out and actually has real provenance, raced by Garretson Enterprises at one point. But I could have waited until now, with the conversion back down to $20,000-30,000 for drivers. But who wants to put their life on hold waiting for the market?

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 02-08-2019, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I guess what is not clear in my original post it is not that I lost interest in the project. My health is bad, I am dying. I am trying to clean things up before I go while I still can so my kids don't have to deal with my mess. This is not a panic sale, I have some time.
www.porscheresto.com
Old 02-09-2019, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about your health. Your car will surely fit someone's need for a hot rod project perfectly. There is still a lot of money to be spent on the power train and finishing. Mid $30s seems like it would leave some room for the buyer. For me, a lot would hinge on the quality of the paint. As suggested, a better description and pics of the paint would help your case when you advertise. Its nice to buy a project car that has something going for it.
previous Pcars
'95 993 Polar Silver/Chestnut;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
Old 02-09-2019, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomO View Post
I guess what is not clear in my original post it is not that I lost interest in the project. My health is bad, I am dying. I am trying to clean things up before I go while I still can so my kids don't have to deal with my mess. This is not a panic sale, I have some time.
Im Sorry to hear this, Thom.

I think this project will sit at $30k. Put it st $20k without the engine and $25k with. Someone will pick up a spring project.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-09-2019, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Very sorry to hear this, best wishes to you and your family.

Finishing up a project like this is somewhat similar to what I did with my 69 Westfalia. Wish I was closer.

Good luck with the sale.
1967 Beetle (current project)
1972 BMW 2002 (RIP)
Old 02-11-2019, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: