Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Where could I find a value on my 1968 911t

I found the car in a barn and brought the car home. It is need of restoration to say the least. I found the production numbers in a book entitled "the Porsche Book-A definitive illustrated history" by Lothar Boschen and Jürgen Barth; and they describe the production number to be very low (approximately 373) if I am reading the numbers correctly. The trans and engine are numbers matching, according to my COA.
I am not sure of what to do with the car just due to the repairs needed (like a dip in a non destructive alkaline). What I would like to know is it worth my time to get a driver out of it or to fully resto the car since there are not very many left. I don't quite know if I am interested in keeping this extent of a project at this time or if it might be better off in someone else's garage...
Ok I am open for opinions.
Thanks for reading.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Your car appears to be a 1969 model year car. Neither the '68 nor '69 are particularly rare, but these cars all have strong market value at the moment.
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 05-31-2013, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The COA confirms that the build date is 9/15/1967 as a 1968 model 911t. The Fuchs are imitations from what I am told and the "t" was not imported to the US due to the restrictions on emissions. I made a mistake in the numbers that I quoted there were 343 coupés that were produced as a 911t, the K-coupé production number was 3561 but had the 905 transaxle not the 901. My car has the 901.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Your car appears to have 1969 rear quarters.

Here is what your rear quarters should look like: just a lip; no flare.

http://bringatrailer.com/2010/07/11/swb-looker-euro-1968-porsche-911t/

Last edited by techweenie; 05-31-2013 at 06:13 AM..
Old 05-31-2013, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
gearhead

Restored early T's are selling for $40-50k and sometimes more. It is hard to see or say how much work your car needs. But a rough project car in the current market will often bring upwards of $20k.

If your agenda is profit, the safe bet is usually to sell them as they sit. If you are wondering if the restored car will hold its value and appreciate over time and you are in for a long term ownership experience, restoring it might put you a bit upside down at today's prices but I am confident that tomorrow's prices will continue to climb on this early stuff.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Pics of lip

Here is the side of the car...
Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
SWB or LWB identification help
Old 05-31-2013, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
looks like a LWB with SWB window vents or a SWB converted to a LWB

I would guess it is a conversion as the rear view mirror looks to be from a 68
Old 05-31-2013, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Picture of the tail

Here is a pic of the side
Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Coa

Old 05-31-2013, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

pm sent
Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Techweenie is correct. I suspect that the COA was based on an incorrect number. The dead give away is the torsion bar holes. It is definitely a LWB model.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolsn View Post
Techweenie is correct. I suspect that the COA was based on an incorrect number. The dead give away is the torsion bar holes. It is definitely a LWB model.
Here is something else I have seen on a handful of SWB cars: the quarter panels and trailing arms were changed by the owner to LWB parts, effectively creating an LWB car. This in turn, creates a mismatch between the lip styles of the front and rear wheel openings, and often the person modifying the car will swap for LWB fenders -- a bolt on swap.

Not common, but it does happen.

Last edited by techweenie; 06-06-2013 at 06:40 AM..
Old 06-06-2013, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
gearhead

Superbrik,
I am assuming you have the matching engine and gearbox on the COA? Aluminum case engine? This whole debate about the year of the car can be put to rest with that data.

Car has been reprinted, why? I'm wondering if the car was rear ended and was converted to lwb with factory fenders as part of the repair. Good time to paint it to.

My '68T had 42k mi on it. But was repainted, and made to look like a '73 with cookie cutters and a ducktail. I don't have details of the accident on my car other than it was front left. I suspect it happened around 73-74 and the car was made to look like its contemporary brothers. Maybe this car is a similar story. It is only recently SWB has become collectible. 30 or 35 years ago lwb was perceived as a significant step forward in design and a local improvement someone might make to an accident victim.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
@Matt Monson... It is a complete numbers matching car, and I think you may be most correct. The gearbox and engine case numbers match the COA and all the stickers in the engine compartment and door frame are correct too. I have been looking for the evidence of where the alterations have been made. The engine compartment does not show immediate tell-tale signs, so it may have been an update to make the car look newer (I.e. front fender replacement and rear lip facelift... LOL)
I am however amazed that no one commented on the wheel in the last picture; Only a truly sexy car can make phone dials look passable (My apologies to those that enjoy the dials).
John

Last edited by SuperBrik; 06-09-2013 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: Stated response to wrong name
Old 06-09-2013, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Righteous Indignation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolsn View Post
While it looks to have been converted to a LWB (wheels look nicely centered indicating LWB trailing arms) doesn't mean it isn't a 68.

One of the 68 911Rs was converted to LWB.

All of the other features scream 68 to me.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
More pics of the 68... An actual barn find.

After Saturday... Please contact the new owner LS1951 about the restoration. Congrats!!!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
gearhead

Do you mind disclosing sale price for our future reference on such cars?
Old 06-14-2013, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Thanks John....see you bright and early tomorrow. I will start a thread on the restoration as soon as I get her home.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
911 rookie

Garage
Looks like pictures from Chasing Classic....that's cool...Now let's see on the stag of Gooding Auction House.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: