Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4-Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

For those that hate Guards Red...

Inspired by the "What colors would you pay a premium for?" thread and those that HATE Guards Red. Well, maybe not really HATE, but those that like Carreras in other colors besides the ubiquitous GR.

If you had a bone stock GR Carrera and were unconcerned with resale value, just having the color you want, what would you choose?

For reference, here's the 1984 color palette. (Does anyone have links for 85-89?)
https://files.porsche.com/filestore/download/multimedia/en-us/rd-2014-classic-historicaldocuments-farbtafeln911g-1984-teil1/default/106b3500-a4db-11e5-a2f2-0019999cd470/911-G-(1984)-Color-charts-paint-colors.pdf

And circling back to the original assumption regarding resale value, what sort of price hit do you think your color choice would absorb if you had to sell your car?
Old 01-15-2018, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Kind of Blue

Garage
Hot pink.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Of those - glacier blue.
No price hit, may take longer to sell.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Moosgrün...cuz it's fun to say ..and spell...almost as much as Surströmming

Last edited by Toast54; 01-15-2018 at 12:54 PM..
Old 01-15-2018, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
For years I said I would not own a Guards Red Porsche. Period. End of story. Then a friend of mine offered me his Guards Red original owner 1991 911 turbo. I liked that car, and reluctantly bought it (reluctantly ~ because it was red). But I drove it, luved on it, and won my class at Porsche Parade with it. All the while I really warmed up to it. Actually at some point I fell for it hard. I sold that lovely car & then I bought a 993 coupe - in (you guessed it) Guards Red. I adored that gem too but a business effort pushed me to sell it before I was done with it. What happened after that? Well once the business effort blossomed I bought a GT3 in (make a guess) Guards Red! And in current news I am building another car & its slated to be painted ~ Guards Red.

So for all you haters, try it. It is really good once you get over the mental block.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
I like guards red.
Especially on earlier cars with bright trim.
But I like the browns too.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

After 10 years of driving a red Porsche I said enough is enough, it went into the paint shop this month, coming out silver. It's my car and I hate red Porsches!!!!

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 01-15-2018, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hating a Guards Red Porsche is like hating a Rosso Corsa Ferrari.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I'm sad to learn that petrol blue wasn't a factory color in 1984.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan A View Post
Of those - glacier blue.
No price hit, may take longer to sell.
A great choice, and if I were to play this game in real life it would be hard to go any farther down the color chart than that one. Unfortunately, it wasn't a choice in 1985 so I can't choose it.

I found a color reference for all years. 1985 Color Codes - Porsche Paint Cross-Reference

If I'm choosing my favorite 1985 color, I'm going with Gelb, Iris Blue, Sapphire Blue, or Meteor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast54 View Post
Moosgrün...cuz it's fun to say ..and spell...almost as much as Surströmming
This is solid thinking. But is Moosgrün really more fun to say than Gletscherblau?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
For years I said I would not own a Guards Red Porsche. Period. End of story. Then a friend of mine offered me his Guards Red original owner 1991 911 turbo. I liked that car, and reluctantly bought it (reluctantly ~ because it was red). But I drove it, luved on it, and won my class at Porsche Parade with it. All the while I really warmed up to it. Actually at some point I fell for it hard. I sold that lovely car & then I bought a 993 coupe - in (you guessed it) Guards Red. I adored that gem too but a business effort pushed me to sell it before I was done with it. What happened after that? Well once the business effort blossomed I bought a GT3 in (make a guess) Guards Red! And in current news I am building another car & its slated to be painted ~ Guards Red.

So for all you haters, try it. It is really good once you get over the mental block.
No hating. I'm in the same boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
After 10 years of driving a red Porsche I said enough is enough, it went into the paint shop this month, coming out silver. It's my car and I hate red Porsches!!!!

---Adam
A bold move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
Hating a Guards Red Porsche is like hating a Rosso Corsa Ferrari.
"Hate" might have been a bit tongue in cheek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven97 View Post
I'm sad to learn that petrol blue wasn't a factory color in 1984.
I'm sad for you!
Old 01-16-2018, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

While hate is a strong word I do think there is a GR discount.....
Old 01-16-2018, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
---Adam
Ohhh Silver. Way to think out of the box Adam.
It will blend in nicely with every Honda, Toyota, BMW, overall "Meh" car out there now.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I like cool colors as much as the next guy but there are attributes to Porsche's that are way more important than color. I always thought there was a market premium for Guard's Red but pasta man is correct they sell at a discount. I did own an amazing Rose Red 72 S coupe - I have to admit I could not get over that color on that car and I sold it, big mistake!

Phil
Old 01-16-2018, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pu911 View Post
I like cool colors as much as the next guy but there are attributes to Porsche's that are way more important than color. I always thought there was a market premium for Guard's Red but pasta man is correct they sell at a discount. I did own an amazing Rose Red 72 S coupe - I have to admit I could not get over that color on that car and I sold it, big mistake!

Phil
I totally agree. Like many, I entered the Carrera search with an intent to buy "another color." I was really working on purchasing a sweet Venetian Blue G50 Carrera, but the seller got cold feet. I ended up buying the "best car available", a REALLY sound and sorted GR Carrera with a 3.4 conversion and a 915, and have enjoyed it immensely. No regrets on the GR or the 915 (another overblown issue in my limited experience.)
Old 01-16-2018, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
It will blend in nicely with every Honda, Toyota, BMW, overall "Meh" car out there now.
^^^

I wondered if Adam was joking about silver - funny either way (even if the comedy was unintended)!
Old 01-16-2018, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
While hate is a strong word I do think there is a GR discount.....
Unless you wear skinny jeans, ride a fixie, and listen to vinyl. Then you are willing to pay 20% more.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-16-2018, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
^^^

I wondered if Adam was joking about silver - funny either way (even if the comedy was unintended)!
Nope, not joking, and if silver was good enough for the race track, it's good enough for me.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 01-16-2018, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
Yeah right.
Not too many Meh 911's out there. Some people don't need to wave a flag to get noticed, or even want to be.
Sometimes close-mindedness runs rampant within PPM.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 01-16-2018, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:

---Adam

Right on Adam. Silver is my favorite color for Porsches - and almost any other car - or motorcycle for that matter. My Audi TT is silver, my two Moto Guzzis are silver, my SUV is silver. And my 911 is going back to silver from red as well. Originally silver in 1975.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Silver is the German racing color,
Red is the Italian
Green is British, etc.
Silver is right on a Porsche.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: