Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Tremelune
One mans junk is another mans treasure! And wow, that car is a treasure!
No idea what your 89 is like, but if it's usurped this, then you are a very lucky man!

Sorry I can't help you on price, but if you ever need a kidney (jk)

Like others have said, $40k would see this sold in minutes (to me please) but think it's got to be a good bit more. I can't really comment about how much more as my budget tunes out for higher priced cars!

I do think the fact you are a generous and knowledgeable contributor here (thanks for the advice you have given me), people will add value to the car for that reason - if you decide to sell it here.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
Is it sick that I ran the numbers on this thing in my head?? No garage, driveway bursting at the seems, painful sale in the works, and still trying to figure out the final product or upside on a smogless coupe with swapped motor and a widebody backdate...All it needs is a year of work and it's a six-digit car!
Yes, it is sick.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Why can't you list it on BAT ? I've seen them sell project cars that are in pieces. This is hardly that.

Last edited by sugarwood; 03-03-2018 at 06:57 AM..
Old 03-03-2018, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
You want this car out of your life. It is causing more annoyance than pleasure?

List it As Is on BAT and Pelican and eBay. You've already decided your reserve. If all 3 fail, then make a plan B.

Nothing to lose unless you're actually not ready to sell. You need to be honest with yourself right now. There is a reason you bought the '89 when you already had this.

The problem you're having is that you've sunk years of your time into this car. Sunk cost of emotions.

Last edited by sugarwood; 03-03-2018 at 06:57 AM..
Old 03-03-2018, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
shh-the robot is sleeping

If your heart is not in the car, you’re not going to want to put in the time and effort to prep it for sale. So, I would put it on Pelican. There would be fewer demands on your time, less need to respond to questions from insincere buyers, and a higher population of real enthusiast familiar with the car and able to relate to your specific situation.

You seem like an honest and straightforward guy. We all appreciate that when we see it. There are simply too many deceitful characters around these days.

A posting here with all the pertinent details simply and accurately explained would likely find you a genuine buyer with the know-how and experience to get a fair deal made.

Last edited by da Vinci Dan; 03-03-2018 at 07:40 AM..
Old 03-03-2018, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

@Muny King Ha, thanks—I think that's overly flattering. Like most everyone else, I kind of just hang out here, read the words of the truly knowledgeable, then regurgitate it with a few personal anecdotes from when I gave it a whirl myself...

@sugarwood You make good points. I sold my '87 on BaT and got a lot of flak for a non-functioning window and a small oil leak. I set too low a reserve and I was bummed when it actually sold for that minimum. All my fault, but I'm a bit gunshy with this car and its incomplete nature. I fear someone buying because they didn't read or ask questions and finding they didn't get the screaming deal on a creampuff M491 coupe that they thought they did. Maybe it doesn't hit reserve and future buyers take it as "the market speaking" on this example without many having driven it. BaT buyers seem to prefer examples that have little to question. I dunno, I'm not opposed to it—knowledgeable buyers and sellers understand the peanut gallery.

I also didn't like not being able to choose the buyer with BaT on my other cars. My all-original E30 M3 went to a 15-year-old that planned to take it apart. Nice kid, and nice father, buuut...My mint-perfect, rare-colored, PASM-equipped Cayman S that searched a year for went to someone who wanted a track car. This car should go to someone who knows air-cooled Porsches and is looking for something they can drive now and tinker with over time. They bought 'em, they can do what they want with 'em, but dang...I still remember the guy who parted out the 944 that I slaved over for years and years in my youth...

I think I'm getting a bit dramatic. If it doesn't snow this weekend (gotta love the mountains!) I'll try and take some glamor shots, some revealing shots, and drum up an ad.

Last edited by Tremelune; 03-03-2018 at 09:38 AM..
Old 03-03-2018, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
@Muny King Ha, thanks—I think that's overly flattering. Like most everyone else, I kind of just hang out here, read the words of the truly knowledgeable, then regurgitate it with a few personal anecdotes from when I gave it a whirl myself...

@sugarwood You make good points. I sold my '87 on BaT and got a lot of flak for a non-functioning window and a small oil leak. I set too low a reserve and I was bummed when it actually sold for that minimum. All my fault, but I'm a bit gunshy with this car and its incomplete nature. I fear someone buying because they didn't read or ask questions and finding they didn't get the screaming deal on a creampuff M491 coupe that they thought they did. Maybe it doesn't hit reserve and future buyers take it as "the market speaking" on this example without many having driven it. BaT buyers seem to prefer examples that have little to question. I dunno, I'm not opposed to it—knowledgeable buyers and sellers understand the peanut gallery.

I also didn't like not being able to choose the buyer with BaT on my other cars. My all-original E30 M3 went to a 15-year-old that planned to take it apart. Nice kid, and nice father, buuut...My mint-perfect, rare-colored, PASM-equipped Cayman S that searched a year for went to someone who wanted a track car. This car should go to someone who knows air-cooled Porsches and is looking for something they can drive now and tinker with over time. They bought 'em, they can do what they want with 'em, but dang...I still remember the guy who parted out the 944 that I slaved over for years and years in my youth...

I think I'm getting a bit dramatic. If it doesn't snow this weekend (gotta love the mountains!) I'll try and take some glamor shots, some revealing shots, and drum up an ad.
It's not only about the money for you. I also would hate to sell a good car to a buyer who hacks it up

However investing to fix it is all about maximizing profit.

One mistake you might be making is assuming that the car is unsellable in its current state. That is false because you're projecting your own buying habits onto this sale. Yes most buyers prefer a hundred percent complete car but there is an alternative Market where people do buy incomplete cars.

So you need to decide what it is you really want. I suppose if you invested to fix it you could have Best of Both Worlds. The higher sale price and control over who buys it via private sale and not BAT.

Why not put up the ad on eBay and Pelican with your current Reserve? There is zero risk in this approach and minimal investment. 1 hour total.

In the meantime why don't you get a quote for getting all the work done? This may satisfy a bit of your unknown... And help to decide if it's worth pursuing.

Last edited by sugarwood; 03-03-2018 at 09:43 AM..
Old 03-03-2018, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
gearhead

If it were mine I would rip the band aid off and put it on BaT. I get attached. Once I commit I just want it to go away and not think about it. But here’s the rub, they will trash on the car even if it is very openly described as a work in progress. And you just need to ignore it.

There’s two ways to play it. Let a proxy field all legitimate questions without personally wading through the thrashers. Or, just let the ad speak for the car and neither read nor reply. If you can’t appriach it objectively don’t go BaT. It is only the simplest means of disposal, but not the only one by a long shot.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 03-03-2018, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Love that thing even in GR. The fact it ain’t perfect makes it perfect. Thrash with impunity, get it dirty, add rock chips, destroy tires, bounce it off the limiter. I had a snarly 300 hp 3L with the same body and chassis and it was crazy fun with short gears and 15s. I’d be a playa if it weren’t for blah blah blah, yadda yadda.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Where is the line drawn between a SingerRestoMod vs. a Frankenporsche ?
Old 03-04-2018, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Paralysis by analysis. If you want to somewhat control who you sell it to, BaT isn't the answer; Pelican or your local PCA is.

We can't make this decision for you. One thing I do agree with however. Wait until you get your other car before you sell this one.

I'm telling you; this car will sell in pretty short order right here in the classifieds, but I think 60-65 is ALL the money, like, too much. Mid 50's maybe.

GLWS.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 03-04-2018, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Great ad for sale, the dogs are awesome.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
What Nick said.

MattR
Old 03-05-2018, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Very thorough ad....... aggressive pricing ....
Old 03-06-2018, 12:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

list it with a reserve. don't lose money on it. i have a 75 911restomod i think of selling every once in a while but its hard to see something you've spent time and money on go away like that.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

By all accounts the car will go for 50s. The question is whether it's high 50s or low 50s. I figure pricing it high weeds out the riffraff and rewards buyers who do their research. I suspect that will lead to a more pleasant transaction for all involved.

I do not enjoy the game. I wish all cars had accurate price tags without the need for knowledge and scrutiny. Nobody's gonna steal my car, but I'm not looking to fleece anyone.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
By all accounts the car will go for 50s. The question is whether it's high 50s or low 50s. I figure pricing it high weeds out the riffraff and rewards buyers who do their research. I suspect that will lead to a more pleasant transaction for all involved.

I do not enjoy the game. I wish all cars had accurate price tags without the need for knowledge and scrutiny. Nobody's gonna steal my car, but I'm not looking to fleece anyone.
Totally agree with your approach and it's an honest car and ad. GLWS.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 03-06-2018, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

I respectfully disagree with your approach. Since you don't enjoy the game, perhaps you should price the car closer what you're willing to take? Pricing it at $65 is silly, especially since you think you could get (and even take) low $50's.

A smarter, no frills, no game approach would be to realistically price it close to what you're willing to accept. IMO, that would be $10k less than you're current asking price.

Over priced cars sit. Correctly priced cars sell. I hope I'm wrong, for your sake.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 03-06-2018, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
I respectfully disagree with your approach. Since you don't enjoy the game, perhaps you should price the car closer what you're willing to take? Pricing it at $65 is silly, especially since you think you could get (and even take) low $50's.

A smarter, no frills, no game approach would be to realistically price it close to what you're willing to accept. IMO, that would be $10k less than you're current asking price.

Over priced cars sit. Correctly priced cars sell. I hope I'm wrong, for your sake.
That is only true if you aren't negotiable. He links this thread in his ad. He's being transparent about it. People who are genuinely interested will reach out, and after some foreplay a serious buyer can make an offer without fear that $55k will be seen as an insulting low ball.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 03-06-2018, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Just sell it already.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: