Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 4-Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Eng-o-neer

Unhappy Time to sell my car...but it's in a transitional state

I'm currently living in Big Bear with no garage, with a 911 parked outside (soon to be two), and no firm timeframe as to when I'll move to a place with a garage in Los Angeles.

I don't have room in my fleet for two air-cooled 911s, so it's time to sell my '84. Here's the thing: though it is a factory M491, it's not an all-original creampuff that I can throw on BaT in a week—it's a unique hotrod; a re-civilized track car with (at least) 160k miles, a swapped engine, an unfinished interior, a fiberglass fender, slightly mismatched paint on the hood, inoperable sunroof, inoperable fog lights...a buncha little stuff.

It has it where it counts (a sorted '95 3.6 that consumes no oil, refreshed close-ratio 915, fresh suspension bits) and the damn thing drives beautifully, but I fear that potential buyers will view it as a neglected Frankenporsche instead of the meticulously documented, all-consuming labor of love that it has been to me for the last 3-4 years.

I see a few options:

1) Keep it. I can't keep it. I just can't keep it. It's being displaced by a similar car that can serve as more of a daily driver for me, and that was my ongoing goal for this car in the first place.

2) Keep it until I have a garage, fix some of the little things, list it. This probably makes the most financial sense, but it could be months before I have a garage, and then it might be more months of me messing with it to get it to...some state that I predict buyers will like. It's not nearly as fun to work on a car when you won't get to enjoy the fruits of your labor. I...I just have a very full plate for the foreseeable future.

3) Bring it to a shop, have them fix a few things, list it (while living an hour from most of civilization, trying to keep it clean). I dunno. When I buy a car, I like to go to the owner's house and size up the owner's meticulously clean garage and Ferraris, etc...I'm definitely not in that living situation at the moment, and nobody wants to casually swing by Big Bear (also, at 7,000 feet, the car is down over 50hp).

4) Do some kind of consignment deal with a shop where they do what they think will help get top dollar and cut them a slice. I feel like I've heard of people doing this, but I may have just made it up. This would be convenient for me, which has value at the moment, but might not net me as much as just selling it in its current state, depending on what buyers are looking for, and I'd rather an enthusiast get the lost value over some shop.

5) List it on Pelican as-is, see what sticks.

6) Maybe I can keep it.

I hate selling cars, and I'm having a real hard time pricing this thing, now and even work gets done. What would the pros do? ::

Old 03-01-2018, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
cool car. find a storage place and pay $150 a month to keep it in, with your kayak and the other stuff she's making you get rid of......

then look for a sales option that is not hurried and the car gets in of doors...
78SC PRC Spec911(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 03-01-2018, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I wish I would have bought that car! I'm stripping mine down right now to get it closer to what yours was :-).

I can relate, too many cars. Not enough time, space to store or work on them. Hang on to it, I reckon you will miss it
Old 03-01-2018, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanbenae View Post
cool car. Find a storage place and pay $150 a month to keep it in, with your kayak and the other stuff she's making you get rid of......

then look for a sales option that is not hurried and the car gets in of doors...
+1.
14 535i M Sport
Old 03-01-2018, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered Ass-hat

Garage
That's a really cool car looking for pretty specific buyer. It's not really an M491 anymore, but it has the VIN which will add a premium (big, small? I don't know).

The car does need to be cleaned up and once ready to market will be an all consuming pain in the ass to sell, so I think option 3 consignment is really the only option. I would not fire sale it for convienience; the buyer is out there for the car.....they just need to be located and hand held.

Two things that are absolute necessities before selling it:

1. Get rid of the fiberglass fenders (why the hell does it have fiberglass fenders??!!)

2. Eliminate all trace the car may have had a cage in it. You'll want to disclose that, but having it clean takes away from the track rat fear factor.

Otherwise, I'm super jealous of that car. It's the turbo equivalent power NA Carrera that guys like me (that hate turbo and all the lag/cheap power they stand for) would relish in a clean street "factory" hot rod.

I have no idea on price. I honestly think it could bring anywhere from $40-70k.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
First off, I watched you win the '89 yesterday so congrats on that, looks like a great car. Now onto your '84, since you have no less than six paths forward with that car I would suggest option 7; find suitable storage until you are prepared to sell or restore the '84.

Who knows, by way of your initial post keep an eye on your pelican inbox, i bet the pm's will be flying in already...any way you slice it this is a pretty awesome problem to have!
Old 03-01-2018, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You can sell it.

There are plenty of us out here that will see the value of the components in that chassis. Will you break the bank.... no. Will you be satisfied probably...... I would say you can sell between $45,000 and $50,000 depending on how sorted the car's mechanicals are.

M491 w/ 3.6 is a perfect combo, time for someone else to complete...... flyhawn loves this combo of circumstance.

Last edited by Macroni; 03-02-2018 at 03:31 AM..
Old 03-02-2018, 03:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
You can sell it.

There are plenty of us out here that will see the value of the components in that chassis. Will you break the bank.... no. Will you be satisfied probably...... I would say you can sell between $45,000 and $50,000 depending on how sorted the car's mechanicals are.

M491 w/ 3.6 is a perfect combo, time for someone else to complete...... flyhawn loves this combo of circumstance.
Sell it. Your heart is not in it and you'd be way better off passing it on. Put all your attention on the new car.

Seems like your old car was an adventure - and now it's time to send it down the road. It's going to take way too much time to get it to where you want it to be to then sell - and time is very valuable - and when your heart isn't in it it's going to drag on and on and take up more time and money.

Sell Sell Sell. You'll probably be surprised what you can get for it.

If it's even too much to sell it (I'd post it here first use those pics) - call BHCC and see what they would give you for it.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Oh my lord that's a cool car. Hot rods are hot and this fits the bill. Why are there fiberglass fenders? Weight, I'm sure.

The little things might matter to nit pickers, but those aren't the people that are looking for a car that has "it where it counts". The 3.6 does it for me, but the M491 option code is just the cherry on top.

I love it. I'm thinking in excess of $50 as is, depending on how restorable to original it is. Not that anyone who buys it will be doing that, but it's nice to have that option in your pocket.

Throw it on Pelican, warts and all. It'll sell.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 03-02-2018, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
I dunno. When I buy a car, I like to go to the owner's house and size up the owner's meticulously clean garage
Too funny.... I use this tactic when buying a used car myself (without being nosey of course...). However, when I sell one (or anything else for that matter), I use a work location, friends garage, whatever to prevent anyone from sizing up my stash. All it took was one nosey Mf'er... never again.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

My ideal 911 man... Thing sits so pretty. Don't sell it.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzaMe View Post
My ideal 911 man... Thing sits so pretty. Don't sell it.
Buy it. You could finish it up and flip it...
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 03-02-2018, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

How much time do you have and how skilled are you? Even though you are talking about “little things quote, the cost of new fender, paint, interior, at Cetera could easily be $10,000.
Do you think the value of the car would increase by that amount if you were to finish all of those items?
Although the M491 cars are desirable, as you have correctly adduced, your car would never be able to be returned sufficiently to original to be able to capture that market.

If you can get over 50 for it, my inclination would be to sell it as is. It has enough desirable bits on it that there should be a very good market for it in its current condition.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Very cool car. If you have to sell it, give yourself a couple weekends and attack the low-hanging fruit - Fix the interior, fog lights, and sunroof as those are all fairly cheap and easy, and you can fix them while parked on the street or in a parking lot somewhere. Then, detail it as best you can, take it to a scenic locale and shoot some glamour shots. If you can, find a spare OEM fender to sell with the car. Then, list on BAT.

Getting a shop to address your punch-sheet is going to add up pretty quickly. If you can get all the parts you need ahead of time and get a shop to agree to knock out just what you want, that might work out. But shops don't like people bring in their own parts.

Or.. cut out all the work - Just detail as best you can, glamour shots and BaT. Explain the car and your situation honestly in the comments and let it ride. You might take a slight hit in final price, but what's your time worth?

Edit - Just realized the car you picked up. Good buy! Congrats.

Last edited by Flynt; 03-02-2018 at 07:20 AM..
Old 03-02-2018, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Buy it. You could finish it up and flip it...
If I could I would.

Let's just say eyes get very big from the people around me when I mention I'm spending $20k + on an older Porsche so assuming the value mentioned on this ad is correct I couldn't hang yet.

Even my old 912 I got for a great deal and had ZERO support from anyone I knew besides my bro who actually trusts my judgement.

Those who are clueless about the market think all these cars are worth $10k max no matter what is it Lol
Old 03-02-2018, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzaMe View Post
If I could I would.

Let's just say eyes get very big from the people around me when I mention I'm spending $20k + on an older Porsche so assuming the value mentioned on this ad is correct I couldn't hang yet.

Even my old 912 I got for a great deal and had ZERO support from anyone I knew besides my bro who actually trusts my judgement.

Those who are clueless about the market think all these cars are worth $10k max no matter what is it Lol
Make an offer on the '75 yellow one "just out of storage" and put the rest of your available monies into making it roadworthy as a starting point
Old 03-02-2018, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Yup. Yup yup yup, all good sentiments that echo my thoughts. This was helpful. I think I could get $40k in a few hours as-is, but $70 seems unrealistic as you could get a stock garage queen for that if you're willing to wait.

When I bought it, the whole car was fiberglass (lightness!). I spent most time getting the look back to stock with working heat and a streetable suspension (fun fact: it's way harder to find left fenders than right fenders due to the way people commonly crash).

Seems like a decent plan is to list it for maybe $60-65k, gauge the real-world interest, lower the price over time, and see what things I can fix in the interim. If I have a proper garage in a month, I can change the equation.

Part of me wants to grab the 3.6 out of it, swap in a different motor...and it's at this moment that I realize I'm losing my mind and I should just have a fun car to drive instead of live under...

If anyone knows of any consignmenty shops in California, it might be worth a phone call for me.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast54 View Post
Make an offer on the '75 yellow one "just out of storage" and put the rest of your available monies into making it roadworthy as a starting point
Is it sick that I ran the numbers on this thing in my head?? No garage, driveway bursting at the seems, painful sale in the works, and still trying to figure out the final product or upside on a smogless coupe with swapped motor and a widebody backdate...All it needs is a year of work and it's a six-digit car!
Old 03-02-2018, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast54 View Post
Sheesh I just looked it over. Total engine overhaul, body completely shot in some places and as everyone knows it only gets worse.

That's a huge project that I'm not equipped with. Rather spend 10k more for a runner. Passed on a few similar cars since one of my main concerns is one that is rotting..

Thanks though.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
If I were you I wouldn't do anything until the black '89 has arrived and you can assess the viability of swapping the 3.6 into that car to complete the hotrod backdate and stuff the 3.2 in the '84. Is the original motor around for the '84? Assuming not...
Old 03-02-2018, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: