Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > European Car Forums > VW/Audi Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

VW GTI APR Tune Issue

Put a dealer sold and installed APR Stage one tune on a 2015 VW GTI approximately one year ago. Last week, engine light comes on, take it in for service, I'm told that there is loss of compression and and 80% leakdown in the first cylinder - engine needs to be replaced. Since the APR tune is on, powertrain warranty is no longer vaild.

Questions are:
Anyone experience a similar situation?
Does a full engine replacement sound like the correct response?

Thanks

Old 04-19-2018, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

It's very unlike the tune has anything to do with the engine issue. If the dealer sold you the car with a tune, however, I'd question their response to not cover the engine issue. That's their mistake that they sold a vehicle with a tune. I would talk to management about that, personally. Next, you could do a rebuild, but it may be cheaper to do an engine replacement. If they don't budge on the warranty I would highly recommend getting a quote from an independent VW shop to do the work instead as it will be much cheaper. Can find one in your area using this site: https://www.vcarshops.com/.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Any idea what caused the loss in compression? Rings, Valve seals, Head Gasket? Hate to have it happen again because the actual cause of the fault was not identified. I have seen a few folks eat a new engine because of a bad thermostat or a clogged radiator. Also a tune does not void your warranty. The dealership must prove the tune is what caused the damage. The burden of proof is also on the manufacturer. Look up the Magneson Moss Warranty act.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
apr , engine , gti , tune