Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Student of the obvious

Emotional counseling needed, thinking about buying a nice watch... sub-like.

Going to try and "Reader's Digest" this as much as possible...

I'm a watch fan. I probably have 40 or so if you count every single one in my possession. Most are vintage Seikos divers, some Citizen, Casio, etc. I've been kicking around liquidating most, or all of those and buying a single nice watch. I could easily buy a new Tag Heuer by selling 2 or 3 of the old Seikos, or keep the nicer Seikos and sell off everything else.

My dad left me some "heirloom" items that meant a lot to him, but have little to no meaning to me. One of those is a 50s or 60s Hamilton Tuxedo/Top Hat watch in the original box, some Eastern Airlines memorabilia.

My thought is to sell his stuff, maybe slim down my collection and buy a watch for around $3000 or so... thought being that the Eastern stuff is only ever going to sit in a closet and the watch would be something I would cherish.

My favorite watch is a stainless Rolex sub. That's just more money than I'm going to be willing to spend... even used.

What watches are high quality, will retain their value, have the look of the sub, not be so expensive that I'll just leave it locked up in a safe and fear putting it on my wrist? Feel free to analyze my selling of the family heirloom justification also. Frankly, I am still wrestling with that concept a bit. I have one kid who never met my dad and couldn't care less about Eastern Airlines memorabilia, but I still have a twinge of guilt at the idea of selling off my dad's stuff.

Thanks!

Mazda 3 S Touring Hatchback
Old 01-11-2021, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Tudor is made by the same company as Rolex and has a line of their own Submariner that has a big following of its own. My son has a Black Bay 56 he just bought as a reward to himself. It is beautiful and classy. The Black Bay is a new model and only available in limited numbers, so it’s usually being sold on the secondary market. But Tudor had an extensive catalog of wonderful watches at all price points, that would tick all your boxes. You can also buy used and get a magnificent watch for far less money and you’ll wear and enjoy it the same as if it was new.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Been here a while

amazingly, the best rolex deal is on a new watch. I got lucky, was on vacation with my wife and we stumbled upon a high end jeweler in Portland, Oregon. We didn't realize (this was >10 years) they were starving and had a ton of inventory. They made us an amazing deal on a submariner for my wife and a daytona for me (we had both just celebrated big birthdays).

Anyway, fast-forward 10 years, I wanted to send my daytona in for a service and Rolex informed me, I should insure it for more than double what I paid for both watches.

Like a well-bought Porsche, be prepared for value appreciation if you buy the right one.

Cayman R Sportomatic and some other cars
Old 01-11-2021, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
We Were Always Free

Full disclosure, I am not a watch guy. However, when I reached a certain rank in the Navy I decided that I wanted a "nice" watch.

I settled on a Omega Seamaster for, and I mean this, no other reason than I liked the heft and very simple design of the watch.

I wear it everyday and smile. It now has an abundance of patina but, then, so do I

He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill

Last edited by Seahawk; 01-11-2021 at 09:37 AM..
Old 01-11-2021, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have nothing to add other than my name came up for a new DeepSea last week and my son and I went and picked it up. It is a gorgeous watch and other than my Sinn the only expensive one I own. Typically I can be found wearing an Ironman.

But for the reasons blucille mentioned and because I plan on passing it on to my son I looked past the price.

Good luck in your search.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

I'm going to go ahead and say it....you should sell all of the other watches and buy a nice used Rolex Sub. The reason for saying this is no matter what, it'll always be in the back of your mind. And it's ok to sell the stuff to someone else who will enjoy those things more than you do.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Checked out

I agree with Rusnak, except Id buy a new one instead of used.
Used ones cost almost as much as new. And unless you have a very trusted and knowledgeable watch shop open up and check out a used one, you have no idea what you are really buying.
Sooo many fake Subs, or, even harder to detect, Frankenwatch Subs.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I understand the need for emotional counseling. When I was single I used to go buy myself something extravagant - "retail therapy" - every time a girlfriend dumped me. After one particularly hard breakup I decided what I needed was a watch. Went to New York and bought a Cartier. My plan was to wear it around New York for a few days, but by having them ship it home I saved $800 in NY sales tax. I don't wear it often, it's in our safe deposit box. The last time I took it out MrsWD and I went out for a nice dinner. While it was out we took some pictures of it for insurance purposes and some other pictures just for fun - made me glad I bought it.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

My son showed interest in watches last year, and was going buy something expensive. After thinking about it for a few days, I handed down my Omega (a never worn, best man gift from a friend), and a Seiko (worn many times in my younger banking days) watches to him.

I haven't found the desire, or need to wear a watch any longer, so I was thrilled, and he was thrilled as well.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

If there is something I like as much as cars it's watches. Have had a 30+ year fascination with them and have been fortunate enough to own many pieces that most would consider their "holy grail".

My takeaway from buying and selling most of them is that nothing holds its value like a Rolex and that the older you get, typically speaking, the less you care about stuff like this. A sub is like buying a CD at a bank. I have had quite a few of them and for me, the biggest disappointment is that it seems as if everyone has one. I prefer to have something that is not like the rest and that doesn't draw too much attention. FYI: after owning multiple versions of Submariners, Daytonas, Royal Oaks, etc., I've currently settled on an Apple Watch! Why? Because it helps me keep in shape and it's "socially acceptable" at many levels for not much money

Regarding family heirloom stuff: you never know when you may have a change in heart about it. Keep it unless you need the funds for your new purchase. If you want to sell it later on, you can still do so, so no harm in keeping it for a longer period of time.

Last edited by Gus Berges; 01-11-2021 at 10:32 AM..
Old 01-11-2021, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Rusnak is right. If what you really want is a Rolex Sub then you should sell all and get one. Like the original Top Gear guys said when testing a Cayman. Although it is a great car, in the end when you pull up to a light and a 911 pulls up next to you, you will always be left thinking that you should have got the 911.

When my father died a few years ago, I did this exact same thing, trading in his stuff and getting a watch I really wanted. Having always wanted a Tag Monaco I got one by trading in his loose gold, it is now one of the ways I remember him. Someday to be passed down to my son.

I'm also very happy with my Tag Aquaracer and Monza
1995 993 Carrera 4 SOLD
2004 Land Rover Discovery II G4 Edition (Sold )
Old 01-11-2021, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Thread Killer

I called my go to guy and he said Submariners are selling for way over list- around double. If you deal with a Rolex owned boutique, you can get them for list, which starts around $8,100. More than I'd want to spend on one. A lot of companies make watches that have the iconic Submariner look, including Omega, my current favorite. You can get deals on Omegas, even Tudors.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
After a recent "Life Event" I bought myself an Omega Speedmaster "Moon Watch". I grew up with the Mercury and Apollo program and like most was fascinated with NASA.

I wear it when going out, it's not too durable for what I do at work. I wanted the real deal with the Hesalite crystal which can scratch easily.

To scratch my Submariner itch I wear Seiko automatics which to me are a great everyday watch.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlton View Post
I called my go to guy and he said Submariners are selling for way over list- around double.
When I enlisted in 1987, you could get a Submariner from the PX catalog for $800, no joke. I played the short game and spent my money on beer.
1995 993 Carrera 4 SOLD
2004 Land Rover Discovery II G4 Edition (Sold )
Old 01-11-2021, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

Lee, did your dad fly for Eastern? If yes, I would be wary of parting with that stuff, even if you son does not show current interest.

My wife bought me a Rolex Milgauss for my 40th. I took it back and got an Omega Seamaster. I love it.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlton View Post
I called my go to guy and he said Submariners are selling for way over list- around double. If you deal with a Rolex owned boutique, you can get them for list, which starts around $8,100. More than I'd want to spend on one. A lot of companies make watches that have the iconic Submariner look, including Omega, my current favorite. You can get deals on Omegas, even Tudors.
Just go to an authorized Rolex dealer and put your name on the list if they dont have one. Youll get it very shortly. At list price (of course, they cannot sell it for more than list).
Old 01-11-2021, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I do not know about very shortly McLovin.

It seems they have cut back production, but yes put your name on a list. I wanted the DeepSea with the D-Blue face so my wait was not short.

Plus then I had to pay the damn Boulder tax rates.... oh well.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

For $3000, Id consider a Sinn U1. Awesome watch and you will have a few bucks leftover.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Be sure to check out the timezone web site. They have a wealth of information, lots of people willing to offer suggestions, and a nice buy/sell section. You might see something that tickles your fancy there. https://forums.timezone.com/index.php?frm_id=32&t=threadt
Old 01-11-2021, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewb0051 View Post
When I enlisted in 1987, you could get a Submariner from the PX catalog for $800, no joke. I played the short game and spent my money on beer.
lol..
recent Antiques Roadshow had someone like that...
except he bought..
went to Nam and forgot about it..
never worn...
box's..receipt..
he fainted when told the current value..

Rika

Old 01-11-2021, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: