Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Evil Genius

Garage
Heated Bathroom Floors anyone?

We're just starting planning a new master bath with 2 person walk in shower tile walls tile floor.

I'm thinking a ceiling mounted Rain shower head 12-16" diameter, does anyone else really like theirs?

electric heated floor in dry area has come up in discussion.

who has them, and would you do it again? How long for them to warm up from ambient 50-60 degree?

membrane or wire options, and do you put it on a thermostat or a timer?

thanks for ideas.

Wag more, bark less.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Been here a while

I’ve got em and love em.

It’s a membrane. In a moderate sized bathroom they probably draw as much current as a light bulb or two. You’ll be surprised how specific the cut-off is between the heated and unheated sections so, up against the vanity, be sure to cover where you might stand with bare toes.

From stone cold to comfortable figure 20 minutes. My thermostat has schedules tor weekday and weekend. I keep them cold overnight. And the floors are shockingly cold overnight during the pee break. They warm up quick when the 6am schedule kicks in.

Wouldn’t change a thing

I’m not a big user of the rain-head shower, I like a standard head and a hand-held, but we’ve got all 3 and you use what you want, when you want it. It’s good to have options. Be careful though. In a previous remodel we did 4 body sprays, plus hand held. It was awesome but you could deplete the hot water tank in NO Time whatsoever. Lol.

We also ran boiler-fed hot water thru the bluestone floors in the dining room and kitchen when we remodeled 20 years ago. That’s a set and forget system because it takes so long to change the temperature you take advantage of the heat soak or hysteresis effect of the mass of the mud base and thick stone.

Just do it, you won’t regret it.

Cayman R Sportomatic and some other cars

Last edited by blucille; 01-16-2021 at 11:04 AM..
Old 01-16-2021, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
944 S2

Heated floors are nice. Wire is a good way to go with a thermostat. An over head shower head is nice, but have another option too. Sounds like its big enough shower to do that. It’s nice to move away from the shower sometimes.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I have not done too much here but a couple of showers with floor heater. We just don't really need it here in paradise.

My only other suggestion is the installation of two showers unlike the second pic posted. That has a diverter. This means you have to get up out of the seat and go turn the selector for the hand shower. Getting up is no fun. A completely separate control for the hand shower is much more user frendly especially if you have older folks that may be using the shower. Its no longer legal in many cities in socal due to water shortage(like we can't control or know how to shout it off?) but we cheat and install after inspection for our clients.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I put them in my last 2 houses, wire under the tile w/ a t-stat, they were cheap enough to leave on all the time, so no waiting to warm, roughly like having a 60- 100watt bulb on
Old 01-16-2021, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
got it in the master. Love it...I DID put a whole house breaker in the panel as I really didn;t want it to get fried in a strike and then have to tear up the tile to replace it.. maybe overkill, but cheap insurance.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - under refinement.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 01-16-2021, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Used User

I wish I had the floor heat. The rain head seldom gets used.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
hardly ever used the rain head. I’m putting a heated floor in our bathroom during the remodel. Not sure about thermostat vs timer.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Number three down looks exactly like my shower.

Squeegee's are important.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Danned

Garage
well worth it - you need to leave on all the time during the day as they are slow to warm up

the controller will have a pgm to turn them on a xx AM & off at YY PM

I switch them off completely in summer
Old 01-16-2021, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
what? me worry?

Quote:
Not sure about thermostat vs timer.
I put the same system in the bathrooms of both of my houses.. and they each came with a setback thermostat, which is basically a timer, and a thermostat...

Spend a little time programming on-off-temp cycles and "happy feet"
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 01-16-2021, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcarr View Post
Squeegee's are important.
And Rain-X.

Thanks Tim. Programmable thermostat is what I need.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Evil Genius

Garage
all great tip, curious why people don't use, or like. the rain shower?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rain+shower+head&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS917US917&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjouYyT8KHuAhWbHzQIHWfzANEQ_AUoAnoECAcQB A&biw=1707&bih=817&dpr=1.13

Wag more, bark less.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
UnRegistered User

Garage
I put in the Schluter heat floor in the basement bathroom. Love it and will put it under the tile when I do the mainfloor bath.

I did have a thermostat fail after about 5 years. Bought a replacement from Amazon and was back in business again.

Was like night and day walking into a basement bathroom with no floor heat. My son yelled to me that the floor was cold!
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Heap View Post
all great tip, curious why people don't use, or like. the rain shower?
I like a harder blast of water to wash shampoo out of my hair. Standing under a sprinkler just didnít feel like I was getting clean and didnít make sense after the first time.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

I’m also planning a bathroom remodel and looking at the same. I have spent hours looking at this stuff along with shower pans and steam generators.
Any brand that sticks out besides the Schluter for the floor heater?

Last edited by ben parrish; 01-16-2021 at 07:13 PM..
Old 01-16-2021, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

I did an open euro style shower with a rain head, concrete floor dyed terracotta, and radiant floor heat run off of a small Stebel unit that was 200 or so on amazon. Its been awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 01-16-2021, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

I have almost the same set up as the last shower shown.. except I have a "surround" system - like 6 shower heads knee - chest high . All I use is the rainhead - top portion.. have heated floor also - and I have neve4r used it..
97 C230
73 BMW 2002Tii
Old 01-16-2021, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Get off my lawn!

Garage
We love our heated floors. Only in the bathrooms for us. Electric, on a thermostat. Works great.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 01-16-2021, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Most rain head showers are well, feels like rain drops. Many are disappointed about the lack of pressure. Hans Grohe makes a big square one that has some pretty good pressure build up like a traditional shower, actually better. From my experience, most of my clients really like the Hans Grohe rain shower due to the pressure.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: