View Single Post

Titanium is mined mostly from from Russia and hardware made from it is machined to final shape and dimension which also raises the price.

I used to work on Preston Henn's Porsche 962 104, the 4th one made and all the fasteners on the factory cars were made from titanium so I'm familiar with it.

Real easy test:
Take a spinning grinding wheel and touch the small end of one of those bolts to it.
If you see alot of really bright long white sparks it's titanium.
Do the same with steel and there will be fewer sparks and they will be shorter and orange.

Titanium bolts are lighter weight than steel and the difference really adds up in a whole car.
Back when the 962 was winning every race, IMSA changed the rules to try and slow them down.
One rule added weight to the car so first thing most teams did was remove all the titanium fasteners and replace them with steel bolts. I remember a bucketfull of titanium nuts and bolts.

Next a big heavy slab of lead was bolted to the floor pan over to the left of the drivers feet to add weight.
AJ Foyt was not too happy when it broke loose from tha car bottoming out at Sebring and was bouncing and sliding around on the floor next to his feet... his co driver was Bob Wollek

Now that those cars are all restored and hanging out in air conditioned museums and private collections, hopefully all those titanium bolts and fasteners were kept together, saved and put back in the cars.

No way you can buy titanium bolts legally for 12 cents each.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)