Thread: Engine support
View Single Post
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
When supporting something heavy--particularly anything you will be putting body parts under--do NOT use a jack! Use jack stands.

Hydraulic jacks sag. It's a fact of life. Decent ones in good shape generally sag very slowly, but they DO sag. Every once in a while, the hydraulic jacks decide to sag a LOT, right NOW. This is a very unhappy thing if your head or arm is underneath the heavy object the jack is supporting.

Jack stands don't sag. Period.

When my engine is out, I use a jack stand under each end of the engine mount bar. I support the rear of the tranny on a cinder block with wood padding, but mostly because I run out of jack stands at that point. (Two under car, two under engine bar.)

If I were only removing the tranny, I'd support the rear of the engine with a jack stand and some wood padding. I would raise and lower the engine with the jack, but I would not put anything important (hand, leg, head) underneath the drivetrain until I had the jack stand in place.

My two cents on the safety issue.

--DD
Old 12-20-1999, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)