Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine support

First of all, I wish to thank everyone so much for helping me out with all of my PO troubles. Now here's my question. What is the best way to support the engine once it has been removed? I was contimplating using a jack on either side of the engine like on the head to balance it. I need to know because tommorow I'll be removing the tranny. My dumb a$$ also forgot to drain the oil before I removed it. So this also needs to be done prior to removal of the tranny. On a final note is there any secrets when removing the tranny? Any hidden bolts to look out for? Thanks again, Christian

[This message has been edited by Dane (edited 12-20-1999).]
Old 12-20-1999, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Look at the great tech article Pelican has on engine removal. Only hidden ones are the top bolt for the starter comes out from the engine side, and the ground strap is easy to forget. Don't force things look for something that got overlooked.

I use a pair of refrigerator rollers under the engine out of the car. I've supported the engine by using cinder blocks under the heads but in hindsighta much better way is to put the blocks uder the ends of the engine bar, and one at the back of the block. This should give you enough room to drain the oil. I don't see why the oil needs to come out though?

Just whatever you do, be careful not to dent the pushrod tubes.
Old 12-20-1999, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
When supporting something heavy--particularly anything you will be putting body parts under--do NOT use a jack! Use jack stands.

Hydraulic jacks sag. It's a fact of life. Decent ones in good shape generally sag very slowly, but they DO sag. Every once in a while, the hydraulic jacks decide to sag a LOT, right NOW. This is a very unhappy thing if your head or arm is underneath the heavy object the jack is supporting.

Jack stands don't sag. Period.

When my engine is out, I use a jack stand under each end of the engine mount bar. I support the rear of the tranny on a cinder block with wood padding, but mostly because I run out of jack stands at that point. (Two under car, two under engine bar.)

If I were only removing the tranny, I'd support the rear of the engine with a jack stand and some wood padding. I would raise and lower the engine with the jack, but I would not put anything important (hand, leg, head) underneath the drivetrain until I had the jack stand in place.

My two cents on the safety issue.

--DD
Old 12-20-1999, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm sorry, I should've been clearer. The engine is out of the car. I sold my engine and need to seperate the tranny from the engine so I can put the eng in a crate for shipment. So I was wondering how to support the eng. I have four jackstands and 1 cinderblock. My gameplan was to use a jack stand under each head and the cinderblock under the tranny.Then I could seperate the two. Is this the way to go?
Old 12-20-1999, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The engine in full dress is about 300 lbs. (I think, at any rate it's over 250) so support the engine at three points. The ends of the engine bar and the back center. Drain the oil. Then lay the motor and trans on some blocks of 2x6 wood. Try to support the motor under the pan not the heads. Now pull the trans it's only about 75 lbs. (in any case I can pick them up pretty easy and move tham around, two people are better though).

With the trans off you can tilt the motor up and onto the pallet. I've moved motors around by myself with a dolly before, it is much better to get help.
Old 12-21-1999, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If you have an old "creeper" they work great for moving these little 4 bangers around the garage. If you dont have an OLD one , then buy a new one, they're cheap and provide enough support and agility to move it where ever you want.

Old 12-22-1999, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the help. Everything went smoothly. I did have a creeper and I used it under the crate after I man handled the engine in. Thanks again, Christian
Old 12-22-1999, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Just to question you guys about your method.

If I am separating the tranny from the engine why would I want it sitting on jackstands a foot or so off the floor. If anything happens I'd say that even a foot is a long way for an engine or tranny to fall?

Scenario:

Someone stupid in a rush or tired from working on the car all day trips or snags the engine bar. It comes off the jackstand, then the other, the other!!!

AAARRRGGGHHH, Its falling to the floor!!!

Do I catch it??!! Damn rights, right on your foot.

Oh, it landed on the shifter coupling for the tailshifter? Bent? Too bad!! The shifting of a tail shifter sucks anyways!

No? The tranny was already off? Oh, it landed on the tranny stud and broke it off and cracked the case where the stud goes in? Thats too bad!

NO? Oh, in that case its too bad it landed on the valve cover.

They weren't on !!?? Ouch, that must have buggered the rockers/valves/pushrods?

And the scenario goes from there. It ends up with the dog getting hit by a car and the Christmas tree catching fire.

Sorry but I was in the mood to RAZ someone. Its nothing personal, just having some fun. And picked this post.

This is bad! I'm almost laughing at my own jokes, and my wife thinks I'm some kind of idiot sitting here chuckling at the computer.

Murray Crates Moose and a Happy Ewe Near.

Old 12-24-1999, 12:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hey thats what we're here for!.... sounds like you got a litle too much of the Xmas cheer before writing that novel on the adversities of a "falling 914 motor" OUCH!

Old 12-24-1999, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
someone's been sneaking the egg nog early!..
Old 12-24-1999, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Forget the Nog!! I went straight for the Rum!
Old 12-24-1999, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

"Reminds me of my Dad's special recipe for eggnog. Burbon and ice."

-Fry
Old 12-25-1999, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

That must be the special "cholesterol free" recipe.
Old 12-27-1999, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: