Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3,2 turbo conversion kit or plans

Hi there,

I have a stock 3,2 engine which I would like to turbocharge.
I am looking for advice or plans on how to go about it.

Thanks,
George
Old 09-04-2018, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Todd Knighton of Protomotive used to make a kit that retrofitted your existing EFI to accommodate boost.

Or, some have chosen the route of using a rising rate fuel pressure regulator from BEGI to increase fuel pressure during boost and an MSD boost timing master (BTM) to retard timing. The BTM can retard 0-3 degrees per pound of boost.

On the turbo side, you can purchase any 930 headers out there. Rarely8 is a member who makes really nice ones. I'd opt for a T4 flange one as a 3.2 flows much more air than a 930 which uses a T3 flange.

Intercoolers can either be super cheap if you are a DIY type, or crazy expensive to have custom fabbed. eBay has a plethora of IC's you can adapt for next to nothing. CXRacing makes very inexpensive ones. I prefer vertical flow as they have the least amount of pressure drop and outflow (CFM wise) the same dimensioned horizontal flow. Less pressure loss equals less pressure in the turbine housing resulting in more hp (reduced backpressure).

Silicone couplers too can come from eBay for cheap. I prefer the European hose clamps that are smooth so they do not bite into the silicone. They also look nicer and more OEM IMO.

Wastegates - TiAL makes the F46, which is a direct replacement for "elephant trunk" headers of the 930. I would get TiAL or TurboSmart. Do not skimp on the wastegate. Your motor depends on it!!!

Blow off valve - again, TiAL and TurboSmart make nice ones. eBay sells some TurboSmart ripoffs that work fine. It's up to your moral compass if you would purchase one or not.

I am a huge fan of the S300 series Borg-Warners. Any model from the S360 (60mm) up to the S369 (69mm) would be fine for a 3.2 IMO. I'd stick with the S360 if you want to stay low boost. Go bigger if you plan on upping the hp in the future and boost levels.

Buy the biggest K&N you can find, cone type, and adapt to fit inside the engine compartment. I made a 4" inlet pipe fit the 3.2. Had to 'oval' the pipe, but got it to fit.
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel

Last edited by Tippy; 09-04-2018 at 06:22 AM..
Old 09-04-2018, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
Why mess with RRFPR or other hacks when one can just plug in a standalone ECU and have it working properly with correctly sized injectors etc? WBO2 is needed in any case so total cost difference is minimal..
Old 09-04-2018, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Bad LT

What Raceboy said. There is more black arts in getting hacks to work than there is fitting a decent ECU.

I'd chuck the standard injectors in the bin and fit some new ones upto the task along with a fuel system update. New pumps filters etc.

As Tippy said intercooler is the easy bit along with the gate.

I wouldn't bother with a BOV. I've got a draw full of them. Turbos have moved on.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
I wouldn't bother with a BOV. I've got a draw full of them. Turbos have moved on.
Uncle,
Would you elaborate on eliminating the BOV?
When, why was it determined after all these decades that it really was not necessary.
Yep, I'd like to eliminate as much paraphernalia as possible.
Thanks.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Bad LT

Most modern turbos don’t have an issue with compressor surge. Metallurgy tech has advanced since the 3LDZ and things like shafts are no longer made out of things that go snap if you look at them the wrong way.
I’ve got a GT42R turbo on a 1UZ Toyota V8 in a Tacoma that’s has been on there making damn near 600RWHP for a 5 years. No BOV no issue. Street car/Drag car.
My old Silver 930 has a BW366 on it with EFI,3.2 mani etc with a conservative low stress 423RWHP. No BOV no issue. Street car.
My old Blue/Matte Black 3.0ltr with EFI 3.0ltr TD25G turbo. 350RWHP. No BOV no issue. Steer car.
My little shop partners 758RWHP JZA70. 8 years no BOV no issue. Not a drag car sees regular hill climbs on off throttle applications.
Current 934rep. EFI,964 heads, GT3 crank 3.4ltr bla bla bla 450something RWHP. No BOV no issue. Circuit car/Hill Climb car.

I could go on but you get the point. The key is a decent intake set up without crappy clamps and the minimum amount of silicon. Roll the edges of all the pipework or if you can’t do that a decent bead of weld, use Wiggins clamps and have everything mounted correctly. Simply set it up correctly. The JZA70 has been running close to 30psi for 8yrs and never blown a pipe off nor hurt the turbo. The Tacoma close to 25psi and is the same deal. Never blown a pipe off or hurt the turbo.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Didnít know you had a S366 on your 930? What boost are you at?

BOVís aid boost recovery if Iím not mistaken between shifts. I could be wrong.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Bad LT

I sold the silver thing with the 366 on it a couple of years back. Off the top of my head it was around 1 bar. The feel of the car was classic old school 930 whack in the back of the head with a 2Ē x 4Ē power delivery.
Current car is the same boost but a GT35r. It makes more power but it comes on earlier and over a larger rev range. Iím kinda kicking myself as I recently sold a Sierra Cosworth with the a great little EFR turbo that would have been perfect for a twin set up.
In an old bush turbo yeah I would agree that a BOV will aid in boost recovery. BB turbo not so much.
I think you will struggle to find say a WRC car with a BOV. Granted they consider the turbo as somewhat of a consumable but there is more at play than simply comp surge. There is also the small matter of dumping in raw fuel for anti lag thatís taking its toll on the turbo.
Youíll struggle to find anyone that manufactures or sells BOVís saying you donít need one though for some reason. Donít get me wrong Iím not at all saying you shouldnít have one. I am just saying you donít need to have one either.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
Whats the expected HP gain on a 3.2 with .5 bar of boost?

More specifically I have an 89 G50 Carrera 3.2 with SW chip, cat bypass and maxflow muffler. Shes a heavy beast so looking for more, bolt on power.

Have an opportunity to buy an almost complete turbo setup. Big intercooler. KkK K27 7200 turbo running, greddy blow off valve, tial F41 wastegate. 930 j pipe.

99 % street use (for now).

Is this a good / appropriate setup?

Feedback appreciated.

Chris
89 G50 Carerra
Old 09-06-2018, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Ya that setup is pretty well known to make 350-380hp.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
.5 bar a good starting point?
Anything I should consider changing or upgrading?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 09-07-2018, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcfaul View Post
.5 bar a good starting point?
Anything I should consider changing or upgrading?

Thanks,

Chris
Todd Knighton of Protomotive has the answers.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Turbonut

Garage
0.5 bar on 3.2 does not require any engine mods, you only need to assure you have good control over fuel mixture and ignition angle.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Isn't the real question how many days with the 915 last
Old 09-08-2018, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
89 Carrera has the G50 with LSD. Way stronger than the 915.

I am hoping to just change the Motronics chip to address mixture and timing. Hoping there is an out of the box solution on that front. Am I over simplifying?

Will bigger injectors be needed?

Thanks,

Chris

89 G50 Carrera
Old 09-10-2018, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
.5 non-adjustable boost + fuel pressure regulator + small turbo + chip , no internal modifications, non-intercooler will be 320rwhp.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds about right. Will have an IC. Have not seen it yet but think it's a full bay.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
FWIW, I used an aftermarket Evo X intercooler and had the inlet rotated 90į so it pointed down rather than out towards the driver side. Also had the mounting tabs added, but other than that it fits well and air temps are always ambient.

Modification to the ducktail:

Here you can see the original configuration of the intercooler inlet:

1976 911S Signature Edition - 3.2SSt (JE 98mm 9.5:1 pistons, 964 Cams, ARP Rod Bolts, Big Port SC Heads, 3.2 Carrera Manifold, ID725's, B&B Headers, TS HyperGate45 Gen V, TS RacePort, BW S360, AEM Infinity 506, E85)
IG: Signature_911
Old 09-10-2018, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Jiu Jitsu Grappler

Garage
Its a little bit of work but if you can shove the intercooler further back it will fit under the ducktail by just modifying the opening.

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 09-10-2018, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Old car guy.....

Garage
[QUOTE=Rodsrsr;10176264]Its a little bit of work but if you can shove the intercooler further back it will fit under the ducktail by just modifying the opening.

Or get a DP style lid:

1981 SC Steel Widebody, DP Lid, 930/51 to 3.2l, K27 7006 Turbo, DOD, P&P Twin Plug heads, Twinfire Ignition, Ruf Intercooler, Powerhaus headers, Zork, CIS Euro FD, 009 injectors, 044 pump, BLwur, 930 4 sp LSD, Mocal 44 w/fan, LM2, Brembo, Retroair, Euromeisters
2003 BMW Z4 Daily Driver & Autocross car.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: