Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
No more porsche's....*%#$#*..sigh!

Well the title tells the tale.....Sold the 930 3 months ago...sold the 944 Turbo today.

Now I'm without a Porsche of any kind.....this is going to be an ugly withdrawal.

No real chance of getting back in the P game again (unless I win a lottery), it was either Porsche's or retirement......sigh.....too bad I can't have my cake AND eat it too.

I'll keep lurking around the site, but will keep my NOW unworthy presence to a minimal.

Mark

Old 12-14-2019, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Old car guy.....

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Well the title tells the tale.....Sold the 930 3 months ago...sold the 944 Turbo today.

Now I'm without a Porsche of any kind.....this is going to be an ugly withdrawal.

No real chance of getting back in the P game again (unless I win a lottery), it was either Porsche's or retirement......sigh.....too bad I can't have my cake AND eat it too.

I'll keep lurking around the site, but will keep my NOW unworthy presence to a minimal.

Mark
So-So Sorry you felt this way... What will you do if you don't go to work every day?
Honey-Doos only last a year or so, then what?
I'm always telling people that I don't know how I ever had time to work.

I didn't get my first Porsche until pending retirement.
I said self .... I need a project for my retirement years.... what will it be?
Motorhome? ..... Bass Boat?..... Old car project?.....What kind of car, I've had Mustangs, Cameros, all kinds of old cars but not a singe Porsche.
Six years later I have a Porsche, a Motorhome and a Bass Boat, plenty to keep me busy in retirement.........Sigh!
Good luck!
1981 SC Steel Widebody, DP Lid, 930/51 to 3.2l, K27 7006 Turbo, DOD, P&P Twin Plug heads, Twinfire Ignition, Ruf Intercooler, Powerhaus headers, Zork, CIS Euro FD, 009 injectors, 044 pump, BLwur, 930 4 sp LSD, Mocal 44 w/fan, LM2, Brembo, Retroair, Euromeisters
2003 BMW Z4 Daily Driver & Autocross car.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Too many of the old guard disappearing! I suppose that was said when we were the noobs....

Never say never, expertise, regardless of ownership, will always be welcome here. Enjoy retirement, life is really too short!
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 12-15-2019, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

No Steve, you've got me all wrong...I'm choosing to give up Porsche's for an earlier retirement. I never said I was giving up CARS!

I've owned 44 car and 5 bikes, there is no way I'm going to be able to stop just because I'm retiring.

I'm retiring to Thailand out of shear desire to live there, love the place, can't get enough of it.

Three major hurdles with older Porsche ownership in Thailand,
1.) They are prohibitively expensive there.
2.) Owning/driving one puts a pretty big/bright "I'm a foreigner with money" target on you, not what I'm looking for during retirement.
3.) As of December 15th Thailand no longer allows the importation of personal cars into the country, does not matter if you are Thai or a foreigner....zero, zip, nada, ain't gonna happen.

Never fear, I already have my sites on what I think I want for the first toy over there. A 1969/70 Toyota Crown coupe that I'll implant a 4.3 ltr. Rover all aluminum V8, 5 spd., lowered, de-badged, lightened up a bunch etc., etc.,
The roads over there are excellent, tight and twisty with good pavement and relatively few police.

Simply can't wait to get there....just going to be without a Porsche.

Mark
Old 12-15-2019, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
We supply RWB in Thailand, Porsches do exist there. Look them up, might be a way for you to get your P-car fix.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hey Mark - Congrats on selling the 930 and the 951, I hope you got your price and they both go to equally loving owners as you were.

I'm looking forward to your escapades in Thailand, I enjoyed the summer I spent there, lots of gearheads there as RarlyL8 mentioned.

Check out these links to get your motor oil flowing:

Building BMWs In The Heart Of Bangkok - Speedhunters

Realizing A 190E Racing Dream - Speedhunters

Rwb Thailand Does Idlers 12h - Speedhunters

My best,
Yasin
Old 12-16-2019, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

well....

I retired over 2 yrs ago. and as the reality of retirement finances settled in, sold a car and my motorcycle.

but still have 4 cars. building the 930 has become my focus and once I get some work done on the 951 and 928 will probably sell both in the spring.

but no plans to fully exit P car ownership. in addition to the 930 I am now planning to resurrect the 87 924S, make street legal but gut it to the core and set up for DE/street.

rather beat a slow car on the track than risk the 930 much. but the 930 WILL see a little track time.

good luck and enjoy.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Well, I am pleased you managed to sell the car without hopefully having to take a bath on it. Know you were a bit worried earlier on. I've been retired about near 10 yrs now. Like Hot Euro - don't know how I fitted work in. Luckily I got to keep the P cars.
Enjoy those years to the max. Keep the guys here posted - I am sure you will be up to something - keep the pedal to the metal.
Good luck on the new life.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 12-17-2019, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Stick around- you will always be among the handful of people who know what a 930 is like from behind the wheel. ��
Old 12-17-2019, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Never been to Thailand but from what I have heard itís an amazing place.
I thought the same when I started my new life in Japan. But passions die hard. I suspect youíll find some P powered Beetle over there or derelict 924/944 to sustain your P Car passion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2019, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I share your passion for Thailand and expect to retire there one day myself. Scratching the mechanical itch with something appropriate for the area is challenging. I can’t imagine owning my 993 turbo over there, especially in the beach towns I love. I feel like going back to my vTwin roots would be the logical step when my time comes. Disappointed to hear I can no longer import my bike though. It’s probably too big anyway. I think a cool vintage bike would be the way to go. Something smaller like a CB500. Nothing to valuable though, while crime is reasonable compared to most third world countries the temptation gets tough when dangling $$$ under noses.

Would love to hear your feedback on $$$ needed to retire and your age. I am getting REALLY close to that magic number myself. Don’t want to wait to long but retiring to early has it’s downfalls too.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Mark,

Congrats on the early retirement! Must be nice.

I, on the other hand had a misspent youth and will need to put in my tie now.

Rahl
Old 12-18-2019, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Congrats Mark!!!
Retirement guys is a frame of mind, values are gona change for sure when money goes out and not much comes in, other than SS and some interests here and there... so how long you believe you're gona be around this earth? You can play with numbers all day long, but nobody knows right?
Life is good and short... Do IT as early as you can!
Old 12-18-2019, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

^^^
my plan is to have zero $$ after they put me in the ground.....
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911tracker85 View Post
^^^
my plan is to have zero $$ after they put me in the ground.....
No point being the richest guy in the cemetery.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 12-19-2019, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Found in Thailand:

Confirming there are no air cooled turbo fanatics....ha!
Old 12-20-2019, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Don't we have a Pelican in Thailand? I think his name was BurinT.
14 535i M Sport
Old 12-21-2019, 03:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
Found in Thailand:

Confirming there are no air cooled turbo fanatics....ha!
Not that their aren't air-cooled cars there for sale or too be had, but would you pay 300k USD for a 930?
Old 12-22-2019, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Well of course there are air cooled Porsche's in Thailand, vasser pumpers too! Just not in the price range I've allotted for a toy.

And on another note {and don't give me s*#@ for stereotyping here}, most Asians in Thailand tend to go for the "over board of bling" approach to customizing cars.

I think I'll try something with a more American{me} take on a custom car, and see what the local crowd thinks of a slammed, de-badged, side marker removed, antenna removed, V8 engine implanted{land rover 4.3 liter} 1969 Toyota Crown with mild flairs, front splitter, rear molded on spoiler.

At least that is my loose current plan...subject to change of course.

Mark
Old 12-22-2019, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Its not nice to stereotype Mark!

I can totally see you rocking this bad boy in Bangkok:

Old 12-24-2019, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: