Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Matt, thanks that was just the kind of insight i was looking for! Itís extremely helpful.
I appreciate your comment about the carrera wheel too.
i am sure thatís a challenge we all face when we make personal but expensive additions to these cars. taken off the car the recovered Carrera wheel is probably worth 1200-1500. Leaving it on probably deminiishes the value but what a bummer itís so much nicer to drive the car with it vs the skinny original.
I am sure the same is true for the 9Ē RSR fuchs.. I paid 4,000 for them but on this car the market will probably discount my car because it has these highly desirable wheels.. instead of the original 15/ 8Ē rears now sitting in my garage.
Since i have your ear what are your thoughts about breaking in the motor fully before i sell the car? should I put a couple thousand on it then sell or leave it with just under six hundred like it is now?

Old 05-31-2020, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
gearhead

Break it in. And then take it to Chris at Simple Auto on Arapahoe Ave there in Boulder for a quick look over and compression/leakdoen tests. Farmers is a very reputable shop, but having it inspected prior to sale will make the sale easier.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 05-31-2020, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks for the advice.
I know the shop and have meet Tom next door at carquip too they are very close to where i live.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
gearhead

Yep, good people. Tom was my mentor in this business for half a dozen years before I went off on my own. Chris used to do gearboxes for me sometimes when I still offered some repair services and he’s the only mechanic who wrenches on my personal cars for me. I had him do $10k of engine out service and prep before I sold my 86 Carrera a couple years back and IMO helped me get top dollar for it through a quiet private sale without ever having to make an actual ad. Play things right and you can probably sell this car the same way, without BaT or a ton of tire kickers. Your openness in these threads will assist your sale long term.
2008 Cayman S Mule

Last edited by Matt Monson; 06-01-2020 at 08:29 AM..
Old 06-01-2020, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

Iím glad you think so highly of Chris. it would be great to find someone capable who is that close by Farmers is way to far away to help with any fine tuning the engine may need to deal with the altitude.
hereís a last question for you.. I had all of the dealer installed A/C taken out but kept everything. too be honest the vents set up under the dash made driving and getting into and out the car a pain. i have all the components in a box... should i hook it all back up again? or just leave that up to the next owner?
Old 06-01-2020, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
gearhead

I would personally leave it uninstalled. If the new owner is collecting they will likely bare metal respray this car. If they are a driver they will install the AC and update key parts to the modern equivalent pieces so the AC actually works. If you aren’t going to restore it 100% leave it to the new owner to decide.

2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 06-02-2020, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: