Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

turbo engine install height with IC

Hello all
i was hoping to take a little guesswork out of installing my 76 3.0 with a long neck i/c motor and would like to install the motor as a complete unit with the i/c attached . i've installed many non turbo motors years past but never really paid attention to the height .so i have a few question
1 will the ic clear with the rear bumper attached ?
2 how high do i i need the car? ( distance from torsion tubes or rear bumper to the ground.

Thanks in advance Ned

Old 07-23-2020, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ned I can’t help you with the measurements even though I did this two weeks ago, sorry. My front spoiler rubber lip was touching the garage floor to remove my engine with the bumper on but intercooler and air box off.

What I will tell you is removing the intercooler is highly advised and probably mandatory. My turbo up-pipe exits from the turbo and then kicks back towards the rear of the car, meaning the rear of the intercooler is rearward beyond the car’s sheet metal where the engine seal goes. In other words, you couldn’t go straight up with it installed. Perhaps if you slid the trans shaft waaay in the tunnel to go forward, and then come back with the whole thing after the intercooler is above the rear shelf maybe it would work. For the xx minutes it takes to r&r the intercooler and air cleaner, you couldn’t pay me to try to do it with them on. And of course the car has to be even higher than usual to try.
Also, access to the rear harness connector, fuel lines, WUR for pre-start fuel pressure checks, and mailbox breather hoses is vastly made easier with them off.

Last edited by gsxrken; 07-23-2020 at 08:20 AM..
Old 07-23-2020, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Having done this a few times I've always done it with the air filter/air box and the IC removed. Remember to use a job shop rag, rubber glove, or some plastic and blue tape or something to seal off the turbo outlet and fuel distributor inlet.

Remember to remove the shop rags before reassembly and starting the car

What I've found with the non-stock IC is that there's a little jiggering and "negotiation" to get the thing positioned correctly so the up pipe doesn't interfere with the inside of the engine bay lip and the IC doesn't interfere with the AC hoses if any. That can only be done once its in the car.

'86 no-sunroof 930 coupe: Emissions removed, FrankenCIS controlling eWUR, lambda, COP ignition. Tial f46P 1.0 bar spring, SC cams, K-27/29, lightweight clutch, TK Longneck intercooler, RarlyL8 headers and dual-outlet hooligan
'14 Jaguar XK-R: Bullet proof windscreen, rotating number plates (valid all European countries), martini mixer, whatever you do don't press this red button!
Old 07-23-2020, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: