Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Twins are more fun!

Turbo Merge Collectors?

If I was to cut and swap the merge collector on an aftermarket 930 header, so I can use a T4 turbo on it, who sells the best merge collectors?

Also, if anyone knows off the top of their head, what's the part # that will suit a 930 application?

(3.3, Protomotive MAP ECU, EFI, GT2 EVO CAMs, Twin Plugged, Twin Turbo's)
Old 01-31-2007, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Burns Stainless? I think they're the best, from what I've heard. Be prepared to spend a few hundred for one tho
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 01-31-2007, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

I take it I'd need a 3 into 1 merge collector? One is for the wastegate pipe?

Old 01-31-2007, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Lukesportsman
You might also consider talking to Ben of M&K exhaust. His handle on here is MB911 as he is a welder and has did similar to his own exhaust with adding the T4 flange.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Burns are, hands down, the best AFAIK. Burns Stainless Their collectors are designed with ultra expensive CFD software and are about as nice as it gets. As far as a part #, I really don't know. You'd have to measure your setup to determine what size/length will best work.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Again, Burns Stainless. You won't find a finer collector anywhere. Download their X-design form and fill out the necessary information. they will build a collector to suit your application that will be second to none. Be prepared for a hefty bill(~$2000+) for anything made in 321 stainless and TIG'ed by them for a pair of header collector and a turbo collector.

Your merge collectors on the headers (each side) will be a 3-1 style, your turbo collector will only have two inlets, one for each side, and they can factor in a dump to attach a wastegate flange to it if you'd like to have an equal pressure dump(to equalize exhaust pressure in each manifold, unlike stock 930/965 setups).

Talk to Vince. Great guy and he'll get you what you need....
Old 01-31-2007, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

I was quoted $356, which is a T4, 2-1 merge collector.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Lukesportsman
Sorry I was thinking he simply wanted to convert the T3 to T4 with increased efficiency. If you have an off the shelf header, I wouldn't think a $2000 collector is appropriate. If you have custom quality made headers then I agree that Burns has little rival in headers/collectors of any sort.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

Luke, I'm planning to cut up a set of off-the-shelf 930 turbo headers so I can fit a T4 turbo to it, so that's the reason why I want a 2->1 merge collector with T4 flange to replace the T3 one on the 930 headers.

There is no way in hell I'm paying USD$2k for all new merge collectors. I'd rather have a custom set of 1 5/8" headers built locally for that price

Old 01-31-2007, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by JMA-RUF
Luke, I'm planning to cut up a set of off-the-shelf 930 turbo headers so I can fit a T4 turbo to it, so that's the reason why I want a 2->1 merge collector with T4 flange to replace the T3 one on the 930 headers.

There is no way in hell I'm paying USD$2k for all new merge collectors. I'd rather have a custom set of 1 5/8" headers built locally for that price

I understand now.......you can also try Woolf Aircraft. Woolf actually supplies Burns with all their material, and produces off the shelf collectors too. http://www.woolfaircraft.com/ ALOT cheaper than Burns.

I've tig'd up headers before to accept T4 turbine flanges. Nothing as fancy as Burns, but get the job done efficiently. I should have made a jig for that setup. Shouldda wouldda couldda as they say If you're handy with a tig, or even mig, it's actually not all that hard to do yourself. I believe Woolf even sells pre-swagged mandrels so that you can make a factory slip joint style collector that will seal positive and expand with head so it doesn't stress and crack over the thermal cycles Fun stuff...
Old 01-31-2007, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: