Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Replacing CV Boot On Or Off The Car?

While under the 930 tonight I noticed some light grease on the axle and underbody as I looked to see where it was coming from I noticed my passenger side inner boot was torn. Should I try to install a new boot with the axle on the car or should I remove it? Which way do you guys do it? Thanks
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 07-02-2007, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
The path of the warrior.

Garage
It can be done either way. If you havent done so in a while, it might be a good idea to just pull the axel, inspect and re-pack both CV's with new boots.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
I just did this......

I was going to do it on the car,, and it was much easier to pull the whole unit.. Since you'll need to remove the retaning clip to get the shaft out, it's easier to do this with a press. Then of course you'll need to tap it back on over the spine,, All this is much easier when it's on a bench..

Lastly , getting the boot back on, make sure the boot and the lip of the joint ARE DRY!!!! otherwise they will slip right off ( on the car like mine did). I suggest using three vice grips to pull the boot on ( it's really a snug fit).. Also plastic tie wraps work better than the factory retaining ring ( I used two)..
Good luck!
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 07-03-2007, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If it's only the inner one just unbolt the axle from the tranny side, lower it down and remove retaining clip then remove the joint and the joint boot. Clean and repack the joint and reinstall. No reason to pull the whole axle unless you really want to or have to for another reason.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for all your help guys. I think I'll just pull the axle down and do it that way.
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 07-03-2007, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: