Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question New Rebuild, First start idle problem

Just started my new rebuilt 87 3.3, I forgot to hook up the brake booster line. The engine ran about 45 seconds at about 3500 rpm, shut it off. The next day, I found the loose line and connected it. Started the engine and again it idles at 3500 rpm. I can't see any loose hoses and everything else is good. Can the metering plate and idle screw be wrong after the rebuild? The weren't changed, just removed and re-installed. Any ideas?
Old 01-01-2008, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Do you have the AAV electrically connected? Is it getting 12V?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 01-01-2008, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It's connected, but dis-connecting it has no effect on the idle. Can I check the voltage with the switch on and engine off? Is there a test to see if the AAV works?

Also, I cleaned the metering plate while the engine was apart, could I have disturbed something causing the high idle?
Thanks.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
You need to check power to the AAV while the fuel pumps are running.

Unplug the connection to the CIS, turn on the ignition and then check for 12V. This will also cause the fuel pumps to run.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 01-02-2008, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Are you sure you have the AAV plug plugged into the AAV? These connectors are all the same WUR, AAV, ......

If the throttle body butterfly against the stop?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 01-02-2008, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You may have some other air leaks - with a rich cold start, and an air leak = high revs. I had a similar issue and my AAV was not working - broken internal wire. And not getting complete 12V. See if the flap is closing.
Presumably all your linkages are OK - nothing bent, re adjusted during installation.
Alan
Old 01-09-2008, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I would suspect something more than the AAV since it is only supposed to bump the revs up by a few hundred when fully open. But you could start it up, pull the plug off and check for 12v at the plug terminal.
If it is getting 12v, you could either stand the pain of letting the engine run like that for a few minutes and pull the air hose off and see if the slot is closing (reference it cold first), or less painful, remove the AAV, put it in the oven at about 100 deg C (I have done this) and see if the slot closes. Then if it does, and you have 12 V at plug, all you need to do is check circuit across the AAV pins is continuous (ie measure resistance is within range). If broken internal wire, infinite resistance - no circuit - so 12 V going nowhere.
But I would suspect more air leaks, or linkage adjustment. Could check throttle plate fully closed - should have minute pre set opening at 'closed' position.
Alan
Old 01-09-2008, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

bent link

The short butterfly link under the intake was bent, once straightened, the car starts and runs as normal, thanks for the help.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HQs72q_GlPs
Old 01-10-2008, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: