Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
LOL! I can imagine that would make you pucker a bit!
So now what is the protocol, you pull in to the smog station, plug in the LM-1 set your AFR's to what? Have them test the car. Pull it off the testing equipment, plug back in the WB, and set it back to what?
Forgive my ignorance... I understand the whole Air Fuel ratio in theory, but don't understand how it can be set at idle... don't you have to look at AFR's over the entire RPM range as a whole, not just at idle? Or will setting it lean at idle, or rich at idle be enough?
I just need some more information to get my mind around this!
Totally ignorant on this topic sorry!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Where are you located? I think I posted on another forum that I keep a nearly new cat and muffler on hand to loan out to "needy fellow P-car owners". I bought a councours garage queen that was allegedly perfect...yeah right. Parked covered for a few years. In spite of the queen status, here's what I ran into. I go along with most of what's been said...the extra CDI box is a must. Mine stranded me so I went to a MSD 6AL unit which is CARB exempt in California...and believe me...they looked for the exemption sticker. I also went and bought a refurbished Bosche CDI boxd just so I can retro it to absolute stock if and when I decide to sell. Other things to look for are the usual hoses, fuse box with the old fuses in it...clean up the connections and replace the fuses if they're the original ceramic ones (like mine still are the old ones...good at GIVING advice...just don't follow it) There are fuses in the front as well as the back and some under the dash..it's good to familarize yourself with where they are so that when something dies, you can make a quick check....My front brakes needed new rotors...the rear shocks gave up the ghost and needed replacment, the clutch cable broke and the Y fork shows signs of wear. The 930 four speed is practically indestructable...the clutch was replaced by the PO 1K before I bought it. The cab top works great...the AC systems are always the $hits...either they dont' work at all or work marginally. Same with the heaters in the 87-89 years. There are heater blowers in the footwells, under the back, and a control between the seats as well as on the dash. Things typically go wrong with the heater fans...either bushings, fuses, or shorts. Make sure you activate all your lights, turn signals, hood, engine compartment lights, baqckup, license plate lights etc. Invariably there are one or two that dont' work. Run the car with the headlights on to see if they dim when the engine rpm's go down...possible indicator of alternator, regulator, or battery issues.

I don't mean to sound like these are mechanical mishaps on four wheels...just trying to give you an idea of the things that typically can go wrong...not that they will or haven't already been attended to. Some of what I listed happened to me. Some I've gleaned from the experts by reading the forums. But the more you know to look for, the better you are. Of course that's what you're supposed to get in a complete PPI....which is the single most valuable tool you can use when buying...unless you're already a 930 expert...and there are a few on this forum.

There are those of us here who have spent a lot of money and time getting our cars so that they are in fact "reliable" and a pleasure to drive without worrying about what's going to take a crap next. If you can find one that an afficianado has already gone thru...and there are some out there...you're way ahead of the game. Better to spend a bit more with a well documented and maintained car than get one that you end up pumping more into that you could have saved by buying one right to begin with.

Best of luck in your Quest....I've truly enjoyed my quest and the challenges of getting it right.

chuck
Old 01-23-2008, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Certifiable

Chuck,
Thank you SO much again! A PPI is the deal breaker for this car.. if she passes, I will buy her!
Off Topic:
Did you make your way out to the "Drags" on Saturday? Hitch a ride in the 700hp TT?
-Sean

Edit:
We spoke earlier I am in Folsom, 15-20ish miles away!

Last edited by Quicksilver77; 01-23-2008 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: found more to say
Old 01-23-2008, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Never heard back from Ron, so I don't know if they ended up going to the drags. The weather wasn't that good. Are you looking at a black 86 or 87 cabriolet up in the Folsom Lake area? If so, I looked at it and it's a nice car....has a 3.2 litre engine and had some good maintenance and history behind it. I just dont' have a 3 car garage!!

If you havent' seen it or have seen the ad, you might email me at fishoncj@aol.com and I'll put you onto it...it's a pretty rare turbo look and if the seller is correct, there were only 13 made for the US...

Best of luck on the PPI...if you get her, give me a call, I'll drive up in my 930 slant and show off. Don't get much of a chance to drive her these days. Gotta' keep those seals soft ya know!!

Chuck
Old 01-23-2008, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Certifiable

Chuck,
Thanks for the lead, but I am a coupe guy through and through, in fact if I could find one w/o a sunroof I would be even happier! I have spent a ton of time searching, and had tentatively decided on a Florida car, provided it passes its PPI.
Once I do get one in my garage we will absolutely have to go for a shake down! I will keep you posted for sure.
Chuck thanks again for your insight, generosity and kindness. That goes for everyone I have come in contact with on this forum, you all are very VERY helpful! Thanks again!
-Sean
Old 01-23-2008, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Sean-

Good read here so far, great so many are so helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable.

Regarding reliability I'm too noob to ownership to comment beyond my established knowledge base. I was fortunate to stumble into mine after the PO had dumped $13k+ of maintence into it in 2 years / 5k miles so alot of the 'shakedown' was done on my 39k car, wiring upgrades, etc. - sweet.

However I would add the concept of - is it to be your daily driver? Do you have backup transportation? Are there weather issues to consider (here we have snow tho I did drive mine today and they're calling for a 1" dusting heh heh)?

Etc. etc.

I only pose these thoughts as I've always owned 'older performance cars' and it's ALWAYS been VERY beneficial to own backup trans. "Yes honey I need to have three cars". Diversified stable heh heh. And even with my 3 and wifely's - I've needed to mooch an extra off the inlaws' - gawd bless them heh heh.

D'oh.

Just a thought to add to your consideration set.

Oh, agreed on your coupe comments.

Good luck in your hunt, keep us posted, report back.

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 01-24-2008, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Certifiable

Paul,
Yeah I do see your point on the extra car thing..
That said. I will have the 930 as my only motorized form of transport. At least for a while! I have a fairly unique situation...
I live only a mile, give or take, from my shop. And on 90% of work days I will be commuting by and old cruiser bicycle, so even if the 930 is down I'm not out! Same for the grocery and everything else I "need" to get to! all within a mile or so... So me and my cruiser, complete with basket, pedal off to the store, or where have you.
As far as the weather Nor Cal isn't too bad, it's no San Diego; but no snow, cold days are in the upper 30's, and we only really see a month or so of rain per year! So pretty blessed!
Thank you for your thoughts!
Old 01-24-2008, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Sean: If you're stuck for a car....I'd be happy to loan you my Dodge dually....it's a rather large vehicle being a 1 ton dually, but if you're in a pickle, I'll be happy to help out till you can get your feet on the ground. Oh...BTW....it's a 6 speed!!

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 01-24-2008 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: change name
Old 01-24-2008, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: