Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
Porsche Crest slight diff whine

When I start out cold I'll get a slight bucking under part throttle. I finally dialed my clutch cable in and the thing works great. Now i noticed a slight whine when I let the rpms come down . I think they are related and I'm thinking its the trans . would this be a good time to rebuild and are these easy transmissions to rebuild? Im very good at vw manuals so I'm hoping its cake. And what would be the ballpark on parts . Any feedback would be killer.
Pete
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 01-25-2008, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have mine apart now - it is a bit easier perhaps than a 915. If you go to a thread "930 tranny upgrade "- you will find a link at the end to stripping 930 box.
The main difference is the gear set pulls off the two shafts without having to remove them from the box. But if you want to get to the diff then you remove that base plate too.
I'm a bit scared of touching the diff - and at that point would farm it out for checking - backlash etc.
Alan
Old 01-30-2008, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

930 transmission overhaul
The thread was posted few days ago - tried copying the link - but not sure how to make it live.
Alan
Old 01-30-2008, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
Thanks Alan ,what about cost of bearings and synchros and misc. stuff like gaskets and can they be purchased in sets?
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 01-30-2008, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I got my synchros, gaskets etc via Pelican. The seals/gaskets come in a set. After that - buy individually. Given the price of the bits you probably want to just replace what you need - ie strip it first - post some pics and see where it takes you.
If you search under "Cale" you should find a very detailed thread on rebuilding a 915 box - which is pretty similar - lots of pics. (If you can't find it - post -and I or someone will be able to link it for you) and some info on what to look for in replacement bits.
I get the impression you are just suffering a whine - so I would look closely at what you might want to do with the box bits, and send the diff/housing out for checking. Your box may be fine and you may want to spend the $'s on the diff.
Alan
Old 01-30-2008, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: